DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

If you play Skate 3 for a couple of minutes, you quickly realise why almost every youtuber* in the world has done a series on it - because if you're good at it, it looks awesome, but if you're bad ad it, it looks hilariously painful. But it's pretty easy to get the hang of, and stuff that would be impossible for 99% of people in real life is pretty easy to do in the game.

It's made by EA, the cash whore publishers. It's been selling consistently for years but only on PS3 & XBox 360. Why no next-gen Skate 4 yet? Keep the same engine, build a bigger map and offer a few more player customisation options, and that's all the people will need.

* After it had been out for a few years, Mr Kjellberg did a video on it, and they had to re-release it because demand was outstripping supply of second hand copies.

The Giant Bomb guys have talked about Skate at length on multiple occasions. Basically, there's hardly any money in it, that same team isn't together, putting a new team together means starting over on an IP that doesn't make enough money to sustain a better sequel and EA puts that money into other projects instead.

So yea ... I discovered Cookie Clicker at work today -  played it for 5 minutes, thought it was dumb and figured I'd close the window soon.

... 10 hours later: the window's still open and I'm producing 2.16 million cookies/second.

This essentially sums up what happened to me with the Steam game Clicker Heroes.

STAY AWAY

I haven't but it _looks_ amazing. If anybody can liken it to another AAA game that I might have played that'd be great. I hate researching games as i'm a stickler for avoiding all storyline and spoilers.

There is no AAA game to compare it to, only indie stuff. It's a story delivery device/"walking simulator", all slow quiet exploration and piecing together a story.

• Like 1

If you play Skate 3 for a couple of minutes, you quickly realise why almost every youtuber* in the world has done a series on it - because if you're good at it, it looks awesome, but if you're bad ad it, it looks hilariously painful. But it's pretty easy to get the hang of, and stuff that would be impossible for 99% of people in real life is pretty easy to do in the game.

It's made by EA, the cash whore publishers. It's been selling consistently for years but only on PS3 & XBox 360. Why no next-gen Skate 4 yet? Keep the same engine, build a bigger map and offer a few more player customisation options, and that's all the people will need.

* After it had been out for a few years, Mr Kjellberg did a video on it, and they had to re-release it because demand was outstripping supply of second hand copies.

The Giant Bomb guys have talked about Skate at length on multiple occasions. Basically, there's hardly any money in it, that same team isn't together, putting a new team together means starting over on an IP that doesn't make enough money to sustain a better sequel and EA puts that money into other projects instead.

Well, there's money in Skating games, and the Tony Hawk loyalists are starting to realise that that franchise is on a streak of rubbish games, so... someone somewhere's bound to chance it sooner or later, right?

If they made a "Skate or Die 2017", I'd be in for a copy.

Skate Or Die 2017 should star the original Skate Or Die characters bitching about how their kids have it easy because in their day X-Games was underground, then making a comeback to save the taco store at the mall. ONE LAST TIME

• Like 1

STREET FIGHTER 5: I am bad at it, but, good enough to see the path forwards. Progress!

SUPERHOT: I shouldn't say too much. All I'll say is that SUPERHOT IS THE MOST INNOVATIVE SHOOTER I'VE PLAYED IN YEARS! and I'll say more about it in like five months when it goes out of the steam sale and more people are in it. Into it.

WARIO LAND: So my 3DS is basically my bedstand system, and I constantly buy like weird Game Boy games to find some nice interesting things to spend the last of my cognition on before I go to bed. In doing this I've made an uncomfortable discovery: I think Wario Land might be the best Mario game ever made? I'll have to play more of it to know for sure, but right now it's like SMW with None Of My Complaints About SMW (said complaints: the music is awful, the minimap tells you if there are secrets or not, yoshi management is no fun)

POKEMON BLUE: my bandmate wants to catch all the pokems. I feel obligated to help.

MARIO PICROSS: I LOVE PICROSS. I WILL PLAY ANYTHING AS LONG AS IT'S PICROSS. SUNSET OVERDRIVE PICROSS. DAVEY RICHARDS PICROSS. REDDIT PICROSS. okay maybe not reddit picross.

MARIO PICROSS: I LOVE PICROSS. I WILL PLAY ANYTHING AS LONG AS IT'S PICROSS. SUNSET OVERDRIVE PICROSS. DAVEY RICHARDS PICROSS. REDDIT PICROSS. okay maybe not reddit picross.

This was me until I played Pokemon Picross.