DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

LA Noire has you climbing up some scaffolding outside the Library. Every now and then, there's a plank bridge to balance walk across. And every time, you push forward to go forward, your guy starts leaning so you stop to balance him up, and he falls off anyway. Why did game developers think that because games use the analogue sticks for movement exclusively, putting balance beam spots in games was a good idea? It ruined God of War, it messed up the first Uncharted, and it's infuriating in LA Noire.

Also, not entirely sure why there's an E on the end of Noir. It's Film Noir, not Film Noire. Although my French grammar isn't especially sharp any more... I guess it's assumed that movies are male (hence the male form without the E), whilst cities* are female (because the female form of the word is the one with the E). In the French language, every word is gendered, if you didn't know. It's all packed with assumptions, all Dogs are assumed to be male (Un Chien), whilst all cats are assumed to be female (Une Chat). And some words are very similar so you end up saying a girl has brown eyes and curly black horse**.

* Presumably all cities in general, rather than Los Angeles in particular.

** Chevaux is hair. Chevalle is Horse. Chevrolet is an American car brand.

JACKBOX PARTY PACK 3 [4] - After #2 bummed me out, I found #3 to be fantastic. While Guesspionage is a miss for me and is clearly a Streamer Game first, all of the other games are good for parties of any size. I don't know good enough artists to make Tee KO fun, but it's a great idea. Murder Trivia Party, though, is probably the best trivia game I've ever played. The general thrust is, if you get a question wrong, you get put into a Saw-style brutal minigame 

TROPICO 5 [3] - Podcast game of choice. I tried Cities Skyline over the last few months and bounced off it immediately because there's no tutorial. As someone who's played four of the five Tropicos, this is the best 3D Tropico, and probably the second best Tropico. The first game is invincible. I get the sense I would feel more negatively about this game if I paid actual 100% attention to it so I'm going to hedge my positivity with that 3 rating. 

OBDUCTION [4] - It is a first person adventure game literally from Cyan. I'm phobic of spoiling any part of it, so the only other thing I want to say about it is that every time it's added a new mechanical wrinkle my mind has felt like it is growing as I've had to reconsider the prior rules of the world I knew.

Going into January, the games on my list to play are Glittermitten Grove, GoNNER (which I got for christmas) and to keep slowly, slowly working my way through Hitman.

2 hours ago, JustJay said:

Tales of Maj'Eyal is so much better than I expected it to be. It can be frustrating at times but doesn't ever feel unfair. Farthest I got someone was to level 16. 

It took me around 400 hours to beat the game and it was time well spent. Legit one of the best kept secrets in the history of video games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BL88 said:

TROPICO 5 [3] - Podcast game of choice. I tried Cities Skyline over the last few months and bounced off it immediately because there's no tutorial. As someone who's played four of the five Tropicos, this is the best 3D Tropico, and probably the second best Tropico. The first game is invincible. I get the sense

I really loved Tropico 4, but my biggest complaint was that politics didn't play nearly enough of a role after the first (and, if you had a rough start maybe the second) election. Once you got things up and running you just won, easily. I always wished for a mod that made it impossible to please all the factions and really made you choose sides, deal with more actual problems.

Still, as a city builder, I did love it, and I will probably end up with 5 at some point.

Here's what I Platinum'ed during 2016:

Life Is Strange (PS4 - 1/03)

Tales from the Borderlands (PS4 - 1/10)

Telltale's Game of Thrones (PS4 - 1/18)

L.A. Noire (PS3 - 2/14)

BioShock (PS3 - 3/15)

Dead Nation (PS3 - 4/01)

Destiny (PS4 - 5/17)

Portal 2 (PS3 - 5/30)

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered (PS4 - 6/04)

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered (PS4 - 6/11)

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered (PS4 - 6/18)

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4 - 7/02)

LittleBigPlanet Karting (PS3 - 7/24)

LittleBigPlanet (PS3 - 8/13)

Battlefield 4 (PS4 - 9/24)

BioShock 2 (PS3 - 10/23)

Tom Clancy's HAWX 2 (PS3 - 11/13)

PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale (PS3 - 12/04)

Watch_Dogs (PS4 - 12/21)

Unit 13 (PSVita - 12/29)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jstout said:

Here's a list of every game I've Platinum'ed in 2016:

Here's a list of every game I've played in 2016(on a console or gaming PC):

*tumbleweed GIF* 7/10, needs a patch.

• Like 3

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic