DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Got a Retron 5 for Christmas. Had to dig through my closet to find my old Genesis games, but I have the sense that tomorrow will be spent playing all the finest sports games the early 90s had to offer. 

Looking forward to trying every major SNES game ever, as I never owned one. Just wondering how much the carts I'd want would cost? May be cheaper to just buy the GBA versions of some of the RPGs. 

Also got Watch Dogs 2, so that's next on my plate after I finish Mafia 3. Despite the mixed reviews on Mafia, I'm loving it. It is stupidly easy at times, but I'm having tons of fun with every combat situation I find myself in. 

14 hours ago, Shane said:

Looking forward to trying every major SNES game ever, as I never owned one. Just wondering how much the carts I'd want would cost? May be cheaper to just buy the GBA versions of some of the RPGs. 

the answer is a lot. as a retro game collector, SNES is on a big upswing

On 12/25/2016 at 10:46 PM, Shane said:

Got a Retron 5 for Christmas. Had to dig through my closet to find my old Genesis games, but I have the sense that tomorrow will be spent playing all the finest sports games the early 90s had to offer. 

Also got Watch Dogs 2, so that's next on my plate after I finish Mafia 3. Despite the mixed reviews on Mafia, I'm loving it. It is stupidly easy at times, but I'm having tons of fun with every combat situation I find myself in. 

There's a website that I'm blanking on that will tell you what the fair market value of the cartridges are, so you don't get scammed into paying too much on eBay or whatever. You may want to look into that.

I bought Overcooked and I might try to force my dad and my sister to play it with me. My dad is one of those 'what does these buttons do?' despite being proficient with computers and grasping things more readily. My sister just hates video games for the most part. 

Or screw it, I'll just set it up whenever I get anyone at my apartment. 

I also have my eye on Shantae: Half Genie Half Hero which came out LAST WEEK. 2016 is an insanely great year for video games. Terrible for everything else. 

On 11/12/2016 at 0:00 AM, Chaos said:

Ignore the empty quote. 

I apparently really want to play Shadows of Mordor. Despite already owning the PS4 version, I bought the pc GOTY edition yesterday from CDKeys. It was only $3.32 so not a terribly expensive mistake. 

My brother in-law bought me Call of Duty: Infinate Warfare for Christmas and I am in so far over my head.  I'm ready to cry all the way back to Los Santos and beat up on some white dots to make myself feel better.

I got a ton of games for X-mas thanks to the Steam Sale and completed one playthrough of Orwell.  Man what a fun game.

Allow me to be frank though, it is a game where all you do is parse through people's internet existence to try and figure out who's behind a terrorist attack, but it just becomes so engrossing as the suspects get fleshed out and the web of connections between people expands.  And then there's the fascinating thing where your biases definitely do play a factor in how events turn out.  I think there's 2 outcomes for every chapter and at least 3 ending you can get.  It took me five and a half hours to finish my playthrough, so it's on the short side; but it totally falls under the category of "Game You Should Totally Buy When On Sale". 

3 hours ago, BL88 said:

Just beat The Last Guardian. Ending is super sad, and not for any of the reasons people smugly thought it would be.

Having no knowledge of it, I just assume the birddog...thing eats you and the game just ends.

Watch Dogs 2 update: I bought a sweater with a fox on it and found out you can pet dogs.  10/10 GOTY.

I just bought the quadcopter last night and it done changed the game.  I'm mostly just farting around doing side missions and collecting research points to try out different tactics.

Now playing LA Noire, because I gave up on getting the last trophy on Gat Out of Hell (it's hit five cars in a row without touching the ground during Torment Fraud; Every time you get a decent pile of cars to dive into, they blow up leaving you aiming your dive at empty space where the car had been). And although my Lad played LA Noire on my Playstation in 2014, I never actually played it myself (and he never finished it), so I thought I'd give it a go. It's doing New Game Plus for some reason, I was level 18 when I started. I'm just playing it to paly it right now, but I might go back once I've finished and try to 5* things and trophy hunt a little bit. Depends how frustrating it is - there has to be a reason why 42% of people who've ever played the game bothered to play the whole thing to the finish.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Now playing LA Noire, because I gave up on getting the last trophy on Gat Out of Hell (it's hit five cars in a row without touching the ground during Torment Fraud; Every time you get a decent pile of cars to dive into, they blow up leaving you aiming your dive at empty space where the car had been). And although my Lad played LA Noire on my Playstation in 2014, I never actually played it myself (and he never finished it), so I thought I'd give it a go. It's doing New Game Plus for some reason, I was level 18 when I started. I'm just playing it to paly it right now, but I might go back once I've finished and try to 5* things and trophy hunt a little bit. Depends how frustrating it is - there has to be a reason why 42% of people who've ever played the game bothered to play the whole thing to the finish.

The run to the Platinum wasn't that frustrating -- although finding every car was annoying as was finding the golden film reels.

Next to Sleeping Dogs, one of the easier open world Platinums for me. 

I absolutely hate how Sony and Microsoft gives everybody two weeks off over the holidays, every year gambling that there won't be some sort of massive collapse of their networks for 14 days.

Just one year I want some sort of massive hack of both XBox Live and the PSN late at night on Christmas Eve to force all the IT people and customer service wonks back to their desks to fix it and to force all the writers at IGN, Kotaku, Eurogamer, et al back to their laptops to report on it.

Also, how dare people have time off around holidays to be with family, what the fuck? Their jobs probably fucking suck and they need the break. I'm sure there's a skeleton crew of dorks to try and stop any hacking crap now, feeble as it may be in the end.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Depends how frustrating it is - there has to be a reason why 42% of people who've ever played the game bothered to play the whole thing to the finish.

The last case file is pretty bad.  It basically shits on the entire story and is a slog to get through.

• Like 2