DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

20 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

So with the release of the final episode, I think it's official for me, Hitman is my game of the year. I was skeptical about the episodic load out of the game, but in hindsight it's brilliant. Because you only get one level at a time, you're somewhat forced to play around with the level, completing little challenges here and there. And the variety of the stuff you can do, how deep and huge the levels are, it really does feel limitless. You can take the place of a male model and walk the catwalk, pose as the target's psychiatrist and talk to him about his mother, drop a toilet on a general, mess with a dude's OCD, and in this last level, do some elective surgery on an arch enemy.

In addition to the normal levels, there's contracts (where players decide who to kill and how), escalations (5 step hits that get progressively harder) and elusive targets, which are limited time difficult hits where you only have 2-6 days to try it, and you only get one attempt, and if you fail, you don't get a do-over. It's super tense, exciting, and a blast when you actually pull it off.

its so much fun. I was let down by absolution, but I think this is the pinnacle of the series and I can't wait for season 2.

I watched the Giant Bomb thing with the IO guys from last week, and that was fantastic. I suck at stealthy games, or I'd definitely give this a look. Plus, I wonder if getting Season One is worth it now given that it doesn't seem like they're going to cycle back through elusive targets.

I watched all the Let's Play's from OXBOX about Hitman and by the end of them - I definitely was like "I could see myself giving it a go"

Though I would still suck and I have seen ways to pull off the kills

The Titanfall 2 campaign is great. Well...for a FPS campaign, I guess. That's not meant to damn with faint praise, either. 

It also goes off in some directions that I didn't expect at all. I'm only halfway through, but I genuinely have no idea what to expect next. 

That I'll likely beat it in a 24 hour Redbox rental sorta makes it even better. I may have aged out of FPS multiplayer, so I don't know that I really need to buy them anymore. 

quick reminder:
1=hate, 2=regrets, 3=no regrets, 4=love

Here comes a lot of positivity about video games!

CIV 6 [3]: Polygon ran an article about playing Civ the pacifist way- it was to turn off the barbarians and put it on the easiest difficulty, and use a map type that puts you on an island. I also saw an article from Kotaku about the first paid professional Civ player. I think these two stories explain everything about Civ6.

HUMAN RESOURCE MACHINE [4]: I'm late to this one but I adore it. It's from the World of Goo and Little Inferno devs, and it's a game about making assembly language cute. I'm trying to learn how to program, and it's going very slowly, and I appreciate a lot about how this game phrases things and displays them.

BRIGADOR [4]: FULL DISCLOSURE- this game was gifted to me by someone in a twitch chat that I am a moderator in

It is an isometric action game that you can play as a stealth game or a shoot-everything game. Oh and you're in giant robots. And you have a dedicated building stomping button. It's the space bar. This might be my game of the year, but like, it is impossible to talk about or show with videos. You just kind of have to sit at the keyboard and say "here, do this." I'm in love with it.

LUIGI'S MANSION: DARK MOON [4]: man i am just on the cutting edge of this game stuff! No uh, I'm approaching the finish line of getting perfect scores on every Picross 3D 2 puzzle, so I bought this to fill that spot. What I'm getting is WAY better than my expectations. The people who made this loved Luigi's Mansion so much, and they have made such a perfect, full sequel to it. It is everything good about the first game, doubled. The flashlight is more satisfying. The ghosts are more varied. There's more than one mansion. There's incentives to replay missions. Everything is better, and it's $20 now. High recommendation, if you missed it.

in the next two months, I intend to restart and beat Hyper Light Drifter, I miiiight finally sit down with Neon Struct on easy (I am having a bad year so I have no stealth capability) and try to push through that, I have been socially pressured into Pokemon, I keep talking myself in and out of Battlefield 1, and I'm 100% getting The Last Guardian. I have a game of the year list. I feel weird about that. So far tho I can report this is a good dang year for games.

Got a box full of genesis stuff for 25 at the flea market today

IMG_20161106_0839114_rewind.jpg

Choice cuts were Mortal Kombat 2 & 3, Road Rash, Aladdin,  and goddamned Sparkster in the box with manual.  I already had a working model 2 genesis.

• Like 7

I am not sure if this is common knowledge, but I just learned today that PS Now is able to stream onto Windows PCs which is pretty cool. Sadly I missed the yearly subscription window, and I am too cheap to pay regular price so now I gotta wait another six months until it comes up again. But the catalog is pretty solid now, easily worth the $9 a month with the yearly subscription price.

On 11/6/2016 at 7:58 AM, assfax said:

Got a box full of genesis stuff for 25 at the flea market today

IMG_20161106_0839114_rewind.jpg

Choice cuts were Mortal Kombat 2 & 3, Road Rash, Aladdin,  and goddamned Sparkster in the box with manual.  I already had a working model 2 genesis.

What a system!

The first console I purchased with MY money.

I still remember that feeling of anticipation to play NHL '93 and Royal Rumble.

Genesis was also the first system I bought.  Saved up all summer to get it and had the money down to the nickel.  I played the shit out of Altered Beast until I could get enough money to get another game.  Getting a Genesis and a Everdrive has been one of my best gaming purchases ever.  Now I just need to find a Sega CD at a decent price.

According to Amazon, the NES Classic will go on sale 2pm PST for us who don't want to go to a physical store.  They're already posting warnings that supplies are extremely low, so plan accordingly if you want to get one.  

I love this thing. The games are perfectly emulated. I don't even see the need to get cord extenders for the controller. This was meant to be played while sitting on the floor in front of the TV eating breakfast (Fruity Pebbles for me at five, eggs scrambled with creme fraiche and a fresh tortilla for me now, delicious either way).

Doesn't it just have a regular HDMI output to connect to the TV?

I have so many long HDMI cables laying around that I'll probably just move the system to the coffee table when I want to play it.

I have two on the way, one for me and one for my sister. Its crazy that Nintendo still does this but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't intentional. Since they have a new console coming out in a few months I assumed that this was just a fun little Christmas console and nothing more, I am shocked by the level of interest and maybe Nintendo is too. Sega Collection type games have never been big sellers and emulators will play all those games, I wasn't aware the market was so strong for a stand alone Nintendo emulator.

People spending $200 on Ebay for a little console that does nothing a PC hasn't been able to do for the last 15 years blows my mind.

• Like 2

I'm considering updating the HD in My PS4. I kind of alternate between games installed on my 500GB, but it'd be nice to have most everything installed at once for a change.

What does everyone recommend? Do I be frugal and just go to a 1TB Drive, or do I go overkill and get a 2TB Drive?

When i got my xbone, a bunch of people said get the biggest size, since you never know what you could end up wanting later. but if you can plug in an external HD, why not do that? i ended up getting a 1 TB and that will likely be more than enough for my needs.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

People spending $200 on Ebay for a little console that does nothing a PC hasn't been able to do for the last 15 years blows my mind.

Raspberry Pi are fucking morons for not marketing the shit out of what they can *wink wink* do with all of the games and half the price.

And after this week, nothing people do will ever truly blow my mind again.

8 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Since they have a new console coming out in a few months I assumed that this was just a fun little Christmas console and nothing more, I am shocked by the level of interest and maybe Nintendo is too. Sega Collection type games have never been big sellers and emulators will play all those games, I wasn't aware the market was so strong for a stand alone Nintendo emulator.

Except that when the news came out, web traffic about it on various tech sites dominated other articles including Pokemon Go:

NES Classic Edition shortages prove Nintendo is either underhanded or incompetent

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

I'm considering updating the HD in My PS4. I kind of alternate between games installed on my 500GB, but it'd be nice to have most everything installed at once for a change.

What does everyone recommend? Do I be frugal and just go to a 1TB Drive, or do I go overkill and get a 2TB Drive?

I put a 2TB in about a year ago and it's 2/3 full now, admittedly I could clear off a few rarely-played games, but when we get things topping 100GB pretty regularly now...