DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Doom is pretty rad, but I was having a lot of trouble with it at first. Was trying to play it like a normal, modern FPS and I was failing miserably at it. When I finally started playing it like original Doom and circle strafing around the big arenas, things started going a lot better. 

I I love the mechanic of Glory Kills for health and using ye olde chainsaw to pick up ammo. It's a constant balancing act, but they throw so many enemies at you in a typical encounter that it feels doable no matter how hectic it gets...

Platinum'ed BioShock 2 this morning. It's not bad per se and aspects to the game/story felt more complete compared to BioShock and BioShock Infinite, but the Big Sister battles are just broken on hard.

I'm mainly doing DLC cleanup for a few games (L.A. Noire, Dante's Inferno, AC Brotherhood/Revelations, LittleBigPlanet 1, etc) before I start on another Platinum.

I've played about a game and a half of Civ VI.  The first was on a small map so I could figure things out and the second on a huge map, which is how I prefer to play.  I played as Egypt and won the first one by a score victory and was able to figure things out without much of an issue.  I figured out most of the new stuff except for the religious system and only got attacked by Brazil, who I wiped completely off the map.  The second game is where things have become a little bit more confusing.  I started with the Americans and quickly met, Brazil, France, and Greece.  Within the first 30 turns all three had attacked me, and I destroyed them all.  I'm one of two civilizations on a massive continent, but somehow my cities will not grow.  I'm sure it has something to do with having too many cities, but I should have more than enough resources to maintain them.  I'm leading in science.  I'm leading in domination, because I wiped out France, Greece, and Brazil.  I have the second largest military but I'm much more technologically advanced than the biggest military.  I'm second in culture, and I'm last in religion.  I think I'd be first in everything if my cities would grow enough for me to add cultural and religious districts.  After the first game, I really thought I had a grasp about how things worked, but I only had 6 cities.  This game I have about 20 cities and I feel like I have no clue what is going on.  

OK, so this is a new mechanic. You need to build more housing in your cities, or they won't grow. You can build housing in two ways off the top of my head (I'm sure there are more, but I'm still learning the game):

1. By constructing a building that grants housing (like granaries).

2. By having a builder complete a tile improvement that grants housing (like farms). 

Without adequate housing, your cities won't grow. This is where land management comes in. So, you have a couple quick options:

• Use gold to buy more tiles, and then cultivate the tiles in some way (farms, complexes that can be upgraded with special buildings). 
  • Work on the current complexes that you've laid out already and upgrade them with complex-specific buildings that grant housing. 
  • Build buildings directly in your main city that increase housing space.

16 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

When I impulse buy, I always go big.

GmK1nZdiWoFF_CE_BEAUTYSHOT_780_780_KR.jp

Being delivered today, hope its fun.

Breed me a real life Chocobo and you'll be set.

10 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Turtle Rock is ending support for Evolve, so boost them trophies/achievements before they shut everything down.

Aww... Fresh is gonna need a hug... if he ever comes back to this board

So finally getting my PC into a position where it can run PS2 emulation silky smooth has had two unexpected effects.

1) I am way more interested in playing PS2 games than in the modern shit that inspired me to indenture myself to my Best Buy credit card for six months.

2) I suddenly want to rip all my games and get rid of the discs.

21 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

So finally getting my PC into a position where it can run PS2 emulation silky smooth has had two unexpected effects.

1) I am way more interested in playing PS2 games than in the modern shit that inspired me to indenture myself to my Best Buy credit card for six months.

2) I suddenly want to rip all my games and get rid of the discs.

And yes. there are ways to get Fire Pro R saves compatible with the emulator, and yes, I have a glorious save with current WWE, TNA. ROH, NJPW, LU, NXT, and womens in there.  Doing a Drago/Fenix/Aerostar vs. Worldwide Underground 2/3 Elimination Trios match fucking rules.

Yes, I own 2 legit copies of the game, so I can have the ROM fine thank you.

On 10/24/2016 at 7:52 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

OK, so this is a new mechanic. You need to build more housing in your cities, or they won't grow. You can build housing in two ways off the top of my head (I'm sure there are more, but I'm still learning the game):

1. By constructing a building that grants housing (like granaries).

2. By having a builder complete a tile improvement that grants housing (like farms). 

Without adequate housing, your cities won't grow. This is where land management comes in. So, you have a couple quick options:

• Use gold to buy more tiles, and then cultivate the tiles in some way (farms, complexes that can be upgraded with special buildings). 
  • Work on the current complexes that you've laid out already and upgrade them with complex-specific buildings that grant housing. 
  • Build buildings directly in your main city that increase housing space.

That was pretty much accurate in Civ V, you always have workers doing something to a tile, and always have buildings going in your cities.  Most of my late games in V, every tile that didn't have resource on it had a farm.  

22 hours ago, assfax said:

On King of Colosseum 2 turn off announcers otherwise you get weird buzzsaw slowdowns on certain moves.  No more GRINDAH GRINDAH GRIND

Turning off the powerball bar does wonders for the frame rate for some reason, especially in tag matches.

I wish my PS2 hadn't died; I miss playing KoC2

I'm annoyed.  I did something, either clicked something wrong or the updated drivers screwed something up, but my FPS on SWTOR, and only SWTOR, dropped to pretty much unplayable levels.  I treid tweaking my processor affinity, cranked the settings all the way down, even got Unleashed which helped get it back into barely playable status, but I'm not getting much.  SWTOR is the only thing affected, system plays friggin Skyrim and the Mass Effects with no issue.

19 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

I'm annoyed.  I did something, either clicked something wrong or the updated drivers screwed something up, but my FPS on SWTOR, and only SWTOR, dropped to pretty much unplayable levels.  I treid tweaking my processor affinity, cranked the settings all the way down, even got Unleashed which helped get it back into barely playable status, but I'm not getting much.  SWTOR is the only thing affected, system plays friggin Skyrim and the Mass Effects with no issue.

Try again today, their website was down due to a possible DDOS around 6 - 8 hours ago, and I know the server I'm on was wonky all day yesterday.

I thought tjat, but my server lag was normal and the general chat on Fleet wasn't screaming about lag, so I was sure it was on my end.  it was, turned out my graphics drivers didn't properly install so I had to redo.  That plus using SWTOR Unleashed has me running just above medium settings smooth as silk, so I'm good now.

Problem with SWTOR is that it relies more on the processor than other games.  Unleashed tricks it into using more RAM to make it run smoother.

• Like 1

So with the release of the final episode, I think it's official for me, Hitman is my game of the year. I was skeptical about the episodic load out of the game, but in hindsight it's brilliant. Because you only get one level at a time, you're somewhat forced to play around with the level, completing little challenges here and there. And the variety of the stuff you can do, how deep and huge the levels are, it really does feel limitless. You can take the place of a male model and walk the catwalk, pose as the target's psychiatrist and talk to him about his mother, drop a toilet on a general, mess with a dude's OCD, and in this last level, do some elective surgery on an arch enemy.

In addition to the normal levels, there's contracts (where players decide who to kill and how), escalations (5 step hits that get progressively harder) and elusive targets, which are limited time difficult hits where you only have 2-6 days to try it, and you only get one attempt, and if you fail, you don't get a do-over. It's super tense, exciting, and a blast when you actually pull it off.

its so much fun. I was let down by absolution, but I think this is the pinnacle of the series and I can't wait for season 2.

• Like 2

My issue with Hitman games is they've always felt half-finished and a bit buggy so while I've enjoyed the experience of playing them they've always been infuriating and not as good as they should be. For that reason I've held off on this one so far but might have to check it out now