DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

49 minutes ago, BL88 said:

Mini Metro is out on iOS and Android today. It's $5. It's a strategy game about public transport. It's so beautiful and polished, it's reflective. I bet you'll like it.

Does it have a WMATA option where you spend $5 billion to "improve" the system by making it worse?

There are a few of us around here who are big OXBOX fans. They have launched a companion channel called Outside Xtra (aka OXTRA) that will be similar videos but covering other non-Xbox related versions of the world.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BL88 said:

No but when you lose a game and ruin an entire city's system you can fly away from all responsibility and move on to the next town like I assume happens to all public transport route designers

As someone who worked on that side of the industry once, that probably isn't that far off.

I'm suddenly swimming in new games. Borrowed MADDEN '17 from work today. I ate lunch in the mall and ended up buying myself Doom. Then I got home and found that, after a legendarily shitty week, my girlfriend had gotten me Mafia III to help me relax this weekend. 

Since I know she's interested in the story of Mafia, I'll mess around with Madden and especially Doom first. She'll just have to miss out on what I'm sure is some heavily nuanced storytelling in that one. 

• Like 1

Took the plunge and bought Forza Horizon 3, and it's a blast so far. It's the exact opposite of everything I hated about Forza 6. It lets you do things at your own pace by giving you plenty of things to do. I suck at it, but I'm not frustrated about it because the game's not so linear. The open world aspect really is fun. Plus the game's just gorgeous.

12 hours ago, jstout said:

Took the plunge and bought Forza Horizon 3, and it's a blast so far. It's the exact opposite of everything I hated about Forza 6. It lets you do things at your own pace by giving you plenty of things to do. I suck at it, but I'm not frustrated about it because the game's not so linear. The open world aspect really is fun. Plus the game's just gorgeous.

Forza and Forza Horizon are essentially the exact same game for diametrically different people.  I hate the Horizon series, because it asks me to do so much shit other than straight up races.  The core Forza game is all about getting a car and systematically upgrading it until it is the best car possible.  You may have to grind through a bunch of races over and over again to get the money you need, but I feel like I'm progressing in a logical way.  Horizon gives you a car, tells you to drive through a forest and the entire time I'm thinking..."Why am I driving a BMW in the fucking grass?"  There is so much more to do, but I'm not interested in doing most of it.  

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And Orange Box just became backwards compatible on the XBONE so looks like I will attempt to beat Half Life 2 for like the 6th time

Eeesh. If there's one thing I'm regretting about getting a PS4 it's the lack of stuff like this. However, I said I'd never play through the Half Life games again until Episode 3 was announced. And here I am in 2016...

For some reason I want to play the Battlefield 1 and Infinite Warfare single players.

Of course - I didn't realize how close the Skyrim release was and now I am going of obsessed again.

I will be divorced by the new year

I realized far too late that I have absolutely no time in between finishing GTA again, Skyrim coming out in November, swearing I'm going to catch up on Mass Effect 2 & 3 before Andromeda comes out and then Red Dead 2 to even think about playing the stupid Destiny collection that I bought, haven't opened and want to take back but lost my receipt and somehow Gamestop can't find my order in their system.  

I figured I would at least open the damn game before regretting buying it.  

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

For some reason I want to play the Battlefield 1 and Infinite Warfare single players.

Of course - I didn't realize how close the Skyrim release was and now I am going of obsessed again.

I read the Battlefield 1 campaign is actually not that long (<10 hours) so i could be done with it by Xmas if you wanted to borrow it. I have a feeling i will spend more time playing old/indie games from Gold than any high falutin xbone games. 

Edit: oh, thats right. Digital copy.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I'm questioning if someone will come up with a Conversion mod for Skyrim saves from the previous generations since Bethesda said they will not be able to make that happen.

Battlefield 1 is so impressive. Wonderful maps, the operations mode is perfect (pretty much swiped from Battlefront and improved upon) and the presentation is top notch. I doubt I ever touch the single player campaign but it looks like the multiplayer portion will be my game of choice for the next while.

From about 30 minutes of Civ 6, I'll say I'm impressed. Some of the new features are confusing me but I'm digging the feel for the most part. While Sean Bean does a great job as our narrator, nobody holds a candle to Leonard Nimoy.

Many moons ago, Age of Empires 2 was a favorite of mine . Tons of hours on it . Then I got a new computer with Vista x64 (which was actually good ) and there went playing the game . Decided to look into the HD release on Steam. Bought it and was immediately dragged back into how much I liked it before . Played it for like 9 hours straight. It's exactly the same as the original and that's just fine by me though I will probably check out one of the graphical upgrade mods. 

Civ 6 is pretty good. They really cleaned up the UI, and at least during the beginning of the game, you are making a lot of choices that at least feel consequential. Splitting policies and tech into two separate research trees, for example, gives you a chance to make numerous early-game decisions about what kind of cities to mold.

The other thing is that land management and acquisition, particularly in order to build specialty buildings and Wonders in your cities, is such a huge part of the game now, which I am still getting used to.

• Like 1

I am REALLY struggling with Civ6 (or, as i've been calling it to my curious friends, Sid Meier's Wet Hot Barbarian Summer).

Civ5 was like a nice podcast game. Kind of an idle fidget stone sort of thing.

Civ6 is like turn-based pro-Starcraft with moral relativists. "Hi! Nice to meet you! Oh, delegates, cool! DIE ARGGGHHH"

I've lost four games so far. I don't know what the fuck happened. I never played 5 with Conquest in mind as a priority and now everyone constantly wants to throw down. Not having a great time.

Play it more like Civ IV than Civ V. You're right that in Civ V, surrounding Civs were slow to attack. It was easy to thus build up a state that had the guns to deter war declarations at any point in the game (pour effort into growing food + building Wonders in the early game, and then pour out waves of Feudal-era defenders in the end-of-early/start of mid-game that you continually upgrade to keep other Civs from attacking). By my 200th hour in Civ V, I was basically winning games without ever going to war in every game that I started. Civ V is badly unbalanced. 

Civ IV, on the other hand, forced you to build your army to massive proportions, and it didn't matter against the AI because they would build about fifty pikemen and group them together to go on inexorable marches deep into your territory. 

Civ VI is a happy middle ground where you will get attacked if you neglect your army, but there are numerous bonuses and perks to help defend your home turf as long as you keep a modest standing army. My suggestions:

• First, go a difficulty lower than where you are if you can. I like to learn Civ games on Prince, and then after I win a couple games on that level, I go to the next one and see how consistently I can win when the computer only has a slight advantage. 
  • Second, for the first four turns that you build, intersperse a warrior with something else (I go warrior-builder-warrior-settler, myself). By then, you should have enough money to buy a warrior or slinger, giving you three units with which to defend your territory early on. 
  • Third, pick a character that has bonuses to home turf defense like TR or Catherine de Medici. I think TR is a good starting character for home turf defense because all units get a defense boost on their starting continent. Montezuma gets Jaguars early, and those are elite melee units, so Montezuma might also be a good pick for you because his special units win battles consistently in the early game. 
  • Fourth, send delegations to each new civilization that you meet ASAP to get your relationships with them off on the right foot and to make them less likely to do an early sneak attack to push you back or to quickly destroy you. 

That should hopefully give you enough room to repel attacks and thus start to figure out the rest of the game's mechanics. 

• Like 3