DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

1 hour ago, BL88 said:

I mean, it was also a gift from someone that's been through a hell of a lot, so I'd feel like a total dillweed if he gave me that and then I played some other version.

Completely understandable.

12 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I am trying Dead Rising 1 a decade after anyone else played it.  God help me.

I loved this game enough to keep playing it when the font was too small to read for my non-HD TV at the time.  Once I upgraded I was like "OHHHHHHH MISSIONS OKAY"

14 hours ago, jstout said:

Anyone here playing Forza Horizon 3? Thoughts? I didn't care for Forza 6, but I like the demo of Horizon 3.

The reviews for it and feedback I've heard has been pretty stellar. I know a lot of people weren't too sold on it coming out of E3, so it seems like it's made a 180 in that regard. It's apparently a huge improvement on 2; however, I have heard that issues exist with the PC version if that's the version you're looking to play.

I really liked what I played of the first game 3-4 years ago, and 3 would be a game I'd buy if/when I get an Xbox One.

As much as I love the premise behind Mafia III and enjoy sandbox games in general, the idea of a criminal of mixed parentage murdering cops in fake Louisiana is not going to improve my real life chances of not getting shot during a traffic stop.

I am surprised that there isn't something in the news about police organizations protesting the game.  You'd think that Bobby Jindal would be raising hell right about now given the bad shit that went down in Baton Rouge.

Hey! I got a DLC code for Gears of War 4 yesterday!  Too bad I haven't beaten 3 yet or even own an XBone yet!

So I got the itch to play a WWE game.  And since I haven't touched a mainline one since 2006, I went and snagged 2k14.  What, the fuck, did they do to the controls on this shit?  I keep doing the same two or three damn moves and can't figure out anything for shit.  I grapple, up and x, down and x.  Seems like I get the same move every time.  I legitimately am confused on how I've actually managed to win any matches on this thing.  I really, really miss No Mercy style wrestling games.  So fucking much.

16 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

J.T. who says that Lincoln Clay has to go through the game killing cops?  Like you don't have to kill those bystanders, right?  I think most of the people J.T. is targeting in the game are just Italian mobsters.

I haven't read too much about the game, but I have heard that the white characters (including bystanders) throw out a lot of insults and racial crap towards the main character.

6 minutes ago, Neil Koch said:

I haven't read too much about the game, but I have heard that the white characters (including bystanders) throw out a lot of insults and racial crap towards the main character.

I mean the game's set in the 1960s in the southern United States.  I read they did that for authenticity.  I've heard this too.  But again, this doesn't mean you have to go through the game shooting up cops.  I mean I guess you could shoot anyone like any open-world action adventure game that's populated by NPCs.

Though in Witcher 3 you can't really kill the NPCs, I did figure out a way to kill that dwarf Willis using a beehive to get tons of money. 

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Though in Witcher 3 you can't really kill the NPCs, I did figure out a way to kill that dwarf Willis using a beehive to get tons of money. 

Kind of like how my one of my goals when playing a new Assassin's Creed game is figuring out hot kill citizens without getting in trouble. In most games you can bump them off a dock while they're fishing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I went ahead and bought Mafia III yesterday because I'm tired of playing the same bald guy in video games. And the gameplay looks flat out awesome.

It's a game I'm fascinated by given the setting, but it's a 2K game, so I have a feeling I can pick it up for like $20 after the first of the year.

I may Redbox a couple hours of it over the weekend, however.

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It's a game I'm fascinated by given the setting, but it's a 2K game, so I have a feeling I can pick it up for like $20 after the first of the year.

I may Redbox a couple hours of it over the weekend, however.

You're probably right. The next one I'm planning on getting is FFXV, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2 and maybe Rise of the Tomb Raider & DQ Builders.

I dunno the right thread to put this but I thought it was cool. I pre-ordered the Ultimate Edition of Gears of War 4 from Amazon, it was supposed to arrive yesterday but there must have been an issue as they shipped late to a lot of people.

Anyway I got it today, and since I am an adult a game coming one day late doesn't bother me. But, I got an email from Amazon today that apologized for it being late and gave me a digital code for a free copy of the same Gears of War 4 Ultimate Edition. They basically gave me a code worth at least $70 because a game was one day late. Incredible. So I am going to just sell the hard copy and use the digital copy.

Finished (at 100%) Rise of the Tomb Raider. Overall, I may have liked it even more than the first of the reboot series. I still wish that there was less of a focus on combat and more on the puzzle-y tomb raiding part of the game, but the combat feels so good that I can't fault them for cramming so much of it in there. 

Collectibles didn't feel too grindy, so getting the 100% was pretty fun. 

No idea what I'll start next. I'm looking forward to Mafia III, but have also been jonesing to play Doom. That doesn't even take my backlog of unfinished stuff into account. 

On 10/6/2016 at 10:19 AM, J.T. said:

As much as I love the premise behind Mafia III and enjoy sandbox games in general, the idea of a criminal of mixed parentage murdering cops in fake Louisiana is not going to improve my real life chances of not getting shot during a traffic stop.

I am surprised that there isn't something in the news about police organizations protesting the game.  You'd think that Bobby Jindal would be raising hell right about now given the bad shit that went down in Baton Rouge.

Hey! I got a DLC code for Gears of War 4 yesterday!  Too bad I haven't beaten 3 yet or even own an XBone yet!

I'll shield you from Jindal's bullets. Verbal bullets anyway. He's got some strange super power.

I'm excited to play RotTR, but I think I'll wait until Black Friday and try to score a deal from Amazon. I loved Tomb Raider: DE so much. Yes, I wanted more tombs, but the combat was really good. The bow and arrow is the most satisfying weapon that I've used in a video game ever. It feels fantastic. 

Civ 6 is coming out next Friday, and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to play it since it's so busy at work for me, but I can't resist buying it day one even though I got burned buying Beyond Earth day one.