DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Sony's plans with PS4 Pro are annoying. Why release a system that doesn't play UHD Blu Rays and not really a true 4K system?

So basically if you have a 4K TV, you'll have TWO devices hooked up. One to play 4K blue rays and one to play PS4 games & regular Blu Rays.

And Sony are being idiots for not allowing mod support in Skyrim & Fallout 4.

2 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Sony's plans with PS4 Pro are annoying. Why release a system that doesn't play UHD Blu Rays and not really a true 4K system?

So basically if you have a 4K TV, you'll have TWO devices hooked up. One to play 4K blue rays and one to play PS4 games & regular Blu Rays.

And Sony are being idiots for not allowing mod support in Skyrim & Fallout 4.

My understanding, and someone can correct me if I am wrong I won't be offended, is that UHD Drives are quite a bit more expensive so it would push the cost up another $100 per unit or so. Which would probably make them leave the price point they were aiming for. Also to them this is just a semi-step, PS5 will likely have those things.

That being said I don't think there is any reason for a person with a functioning PS4 to purchase a PS4 Pro unless you want the best system possible for PS VR, as it is just a baby step up.

Also, the not allowing mods is as much on Bethesda as it is Sony.  Bethesda wants more access into Sony's OS that Sony is willing to grant.

And no one on consoles really gives a fuck about Mods.

1 minute ago, Raziel403 said:

Also, the not allowing mods is as much on Bethesda as it is Sony.  Bethesda wants more access into Sony's OS that Sony is willing to grant.

And no one on consoles really gives a fuck about Mods.

Well, Sony should give them that access. So much for the PS4 being the easiest system to develop on.

I'm not planning on selling my PS4 (Microsoft and their Xbox 360 last-gen prevents me from doing so), but even a Sony fan like me can't excuse this.

5 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

My understanding, and someone can correct me if I am wrong I won't be offended, is that UHD Drives are quite a bit more expensive so it would push the cost up another $100 per unit or so. Which would probably make them leave the price point they were aiming for. Also to them this is just a semi-step, PS5 will likely have those things.

That being said I don't think there is any reason for a person with a functioning PS4 to purchase a PS4 Pro unless you want the best system possible for PS VR, as it is just a baby step up.

UHD drives are no more expensive. 

12 minutes ago, Tabe said:

UHD drives are no more expensive. 

I had to hunt around to find it, I've read a lot of places it is more expensive, it was more how much that I wasn't sure about as I've seen a range of estimates. But this article (just for example), has bluray drives components costing $18 and UHD being $33.50, so not a significant difference. But if they had their heart set on $399, or if there were manufacturing concerns, I can see why they left it out even if I think its silly. I am sure they would have put it in there if there wasn't a cost or manufacturing/production issue.

Well that's a pretty good way to alienate all the Tabletop fans who stuck through the mess that was last season and all the complaining that came with it.  Not to mentioned everyone who funded last season and are rewarded with this.

And the people who are going to stick with it - there's about a 0.0001% chance that we're not going to find.....other ways.... to watch before they're released on G&S months later.

So my wife is having surgery on Monday and I'm going to be home for a few weeks not doing a hell of a lot while she recovers. Since No Man's Sky turned out to be. . .well, what it ended up being. . .I need a game to play.

If I haven't played any of the games in the Witcher series, are there things I need to know before picking up Wild Hunt? I know when I picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition I didn't have any real knowledge of the Dragon Age universe and just sort of gave random answers to the questions to set up the universe for it, which turned out okay. Is Witcher sort of the same thing?

My apologies if someone has asked this already.

27 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

So my wife is having surgery on Monday and I'm going to be home for a few weeks not doing a hell of a lot while she recovers. Since No Man's Sky turned out to be. . .well, what it ended up being. . .I need a game to play.

If I haven't played any of the games in the Witcher series, are there things I need to know before picking up Wild Hunt? I know when I picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition I didn't have any real knowledge of the Dragon Age universe and just sort of gave random answers to the questions to set up the universe for it, which turned out okay. Is Witcher sort of the same thing?

My apologies if someone has asked this already.

Good luck on her surgery!

I walked into Witcher 3 blind and didn't have any problems. You can random your way through the few questions they'll ask and the only thing it may affect is who shows up (or doesn't) later on in the game.

• Like 1

Yeah the only thing would have been the whole prior choices thing and since you already played DA:I that way I don't think you will have any concerns with Witcher 3

48 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I would be a bit curious. Which version of VII would you play, PS1 or 3DS? The 3DS version I'm currently playing moves a lot faster with the changes they made.

Likely the 3DS version. The whole gag here is that I play them before I go to bed, which so far means 3DS. I do have a physical PS2 copy of VIII so I'll probably do that rather than incurring more costs. I'm also playing them out of order (currently playing V, plan on going backwards from there) and for the first three I'm planning to just get the phone games.

38 minutes ago, BL88 said:

Likely the 3DS version. The whole gag here is that I play them before I go to bed, which so far means 3DS. I do have a physical PS2 copy of VIII so I'll probably do that rather than incurring more costs. I'm also playing them out of order (currently playing V, plan on going backwards from there) and for the first three I'm planning to just get the phone games.

You could always wait for the 3DS version of VIII. It should come out next year.