DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

My Dragon Age origins experience so far:

I approach a chest to open it. Insufficient skill. Leliana says "I could do that." Switch to Leliana. Open chest. Insuficient skill. Leliana says "I can't do that".

I had a $100 amazon gift card to use, so I picked up the game of the year edition of Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor for 15 bucks and Wasteland 2 for 17 bucks. Anyone played either game and care to offer an opinion on them?

NO MAN’S SKY [3]
I’m continuing to enjoy it as a podcast visualizer and space-fairing oregon trail. I’m also not naming anything I’m discovering because like, the way that I get creative is more purposeful than that and I’ve never been like haphazard “I’M NAMING THIS ONE BOOBO BAGGINS” with stuff. I like wandering around and talkin’ to alien dudes. One of them taught me a racial slur*. It’s fine. It’s a cool little place to hang out in. I didn’t have high expectations at all and I feel badly for the people not having a good time with it.

*the word “interloper” which, come on, I know what you’re calling me

I REPLAYED KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO [4]
Oh my god it is killing me that I don’t have anyone to talk about Kentucky Route Zero with. I have so many things I want to say about it. No one else gives a fuck. Ugh. UGH. IF YOU LIKE ADVENTURE GAMES AND DON’T HAVE KRZ YOU ARE A LIAR PLEASE TALK TO ME although if you're waiting for act 5 to come out before you start it I get it but UGH

SHOVEL KNIGHT [1]
My prior analysis of Shovel Knight was “Fuck Shovel Knight.” One of the coping mechanisms I’ve had during my mourning of my uncle was to play games I’m pretty sure I have hated/will hate (this is how No Man’s Sky happened for me) because maybe I will feel differently about them. My current analysis of Shovel Knight is “Fuck Shovel Knight Forever.”

GOTTA PROTECTORS [3]
Remember X-Box Live Indie Games? No? Okay there were like three good ones ever, and one of them was this single-screen castle defending action game called Protect Me Knight. So they made a sequel. And they put it out on 3DS. Last month. And I, one of the like maybe dozen people that would care about that, did not know because I don’t think they told anyone. It’s fuckin’ super good! It’s got the worst writing in a video game I’ve ever seen! It still plays well enough to outweigh that! No one else is buying this stupid thing! Oh and the soundtrack is fucking amazing (it’s lead by I Shit You Not, Yuzo Koshiro of Streets Of Rage fame, along with a bunch of other heavy hitter 90s game composers)

TRICKY TOWERS [3]
My friends rage when they play games. It makes it incredibly, incredibly hard to play stuff like this with them. I had to give up Videoball because one of my best friends screamed at me. It is what it is. This game is like that- I LOVE the idea of it (use tetris pieces but make them obey physics and don’t put walls on the sides of the board), and I know that if any of my friends so much as see it I’m gonna hear about how it’s bullshit and how I’m bullshit for being able to see what I’m doing and not get mad at failings. I dunno. It’s great, play it with the right people.

REIGNS [4]
Fucking amazing idea done exceptionally well. All I’ll say is, it’s like Europa Universalis on Tinder, and you should play it on your smartphone if you have one for the complete experience.

OVERCOOKED [4]
Probably the best multiplayer game I’m gonna play this year? It’s a cooking game but like it’s a chaotic neutral cooking game. It starts with timetravelling away from the end of the world and somehow escalates from there. It’s excellently chaotic. It’s so like perfect in these tiny broken little ways. A dumbass will see how it mechanically stumbles and go “oh I don’t know about this.” If you hear that voice in you, scold it and get more people to play the game with you. Double down on the chaos.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:33 AM, AxB said:

My Dragon Age origins experience so far:

I approach a chest to open it. Insufficient skill. Leliana says "I could do that." Switch to Leliana. Open chest. Insuficient skill. Leliana says "I can't do that".

I don't even know why DA even bothered to make warrior and mage options for player characters.  Zevron and Leliana are the shittiest lockpickers and trap dectectors ever, so you need to play as a rogue yourself unless you like the idea of getting your legs mangled by jaw traps and forfeiting easy XP by not being able to disable them or going back to old dungeons ten levels later to unlock chests and sell loot you could've used two or three story adventures prior.

I felt like an idiot going through my playthrough as warrior in DA. It was cool dual wielding swords, but the trade off in loss of rogue abilities & magic made me feel like a dumbass as both were a lot more viable from what I could tell.

I managed to choose a bad dialogue option in the Mages tower and Wynne turned on us before the final battle. So I'm fighting Demons with just Alistair and Leliana, and the Demons can simultaneously set us on fire and encase us in ice, and I've got no magical powers whatsoever. It was impossible. So I switched it to easy, and then it was a piece of piss. I was a bit disappointed that I'd be missing the trophy for completing it in medium, but better that than abandon another playthrough.

And then I checked. There are no difficulty-based trophies in the game. I could have had it on easy this whole time. So I left it there, and now I'm only running with Leliana, Zevran and Morrigan. Alistair's self-righteous kill stealing arse can sit in the camp with Sten.

Leliana and Zev both have Bows as their primary weapon and their tactics set to Archer. But both insist on charging into combat waving swords around at every opportunity. Why?

10 hours ago, AxB said:

Leliana and Zev both have Bows as their primary weapon and their tactics set to Archer. But both insist on charging into combat waving swords around at every opportunity. Why?

Make sure your tactics don't have any melee components in them. DA:O is really good at randomly adding stuff as people level up and get new skills.

• Like 2

If you're a Metroid fan, and "happen" to come across AM2R in your travels in the net and come across a DL link that hasn't been DMCA'd by Ninteno, grab that shit. 

It's utterly amazing how one dude used assets from Super Metroid and made an outstanding remake of Metroid 2 balancing boss fights and the Metroid fights with items from the later games and seamlessly working it all in so that it flows and doesn't feel tacked on like the last area of Zero Mission.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Playstation Plus will go from $50 a year to $60 a year starting 9/22

3 month plan will be $25

1 month will stay $10

I'd almost be okay with this if Sony would just point to some things that this extra scratch has allowed them to improve. Can I expect faster downloads? A better, streamlined service? Higher profile "free" games?

I'm guessing it's to bring it in line with the rest of the world. All of Europe and a bunch of other countries got a price increase this time last year. Although they didn't increase the yearly cost then, just the monthly and 3 months I believe.

I'll just grab a discounted one year card and add it to my account before 9/22. It's not a huge loss, especially considering how easy getting a one year card for less than that is most of the time. Hell, you usually can find Xbox Live cards for around $35 on Ebay from time to time, and that's always been $60 since the original Xbox's inception.

Also, Inside was supposed to come out on PS4 today, but I can find it nowhere in the PSN store.

I know this will interest some, so Indigo Prophecy was ported to the PS2 on PS4 lineup.

If you play WoW and want to do the Pre-expansion stuff, the finish of those lines should drop today after the update and will only be around until next week when Legion goes live.

I say this because I have to finish the pre-Invasion storylines with both my mains tonight before I go on vacation.

15 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

PSN store doesn't usually update before around noon Pacific in the US, does it?

For, sales and stuff, I'd say yes, but i just think it's odd that this wasn't a pre-order game. The release date has been announced for about a month or so.

On 24/07/2016 at 1:25 AM, jstout said:

Might have a solution to my gaming blues: a month of subscription to EA Access. Wanted to play Dragon Age and could have fun goofing off with sports games. Might be a band-aid until I figure out a new game to get.

Is this on XBox or PC? I keep toying with the idea of getting the Origin Access deal because of the vault games, but every time I look at the vault games they always seem to be just one good game away from getting me to get sign up.

Edit: Complete list:

https://www.origin.com/en-gb/store/browse/vault-games

43 minutes ago, Chaos said:

For, sales and stuff, I'd say yes, but i just think it's odd that this wasn't a pre-order game. The release date has been announced for about a month or so.

I had the same problem with Assault Suit Leynos last month. It wasn't in the store on the release date then mysteriously appeared a few days later with no reason as to why it was late.

2 hours ago, Basara said:

I had the same problem with Assault Suit Leynos last month. It wasn't in the store on the release date then mysteriously appeared a few days later with no reason as to why it was late.

It's just odd for Sony to not bandwagon behind it at all. It's possibly the most Critically acclaimed Indie title of the year. I know it was marketed for its XB1 exclusivity at E3 and what not, but it's still a game that should generate some sales figures for you since I'm sure Sony clips a sizable coupon for digital sales. 

It looks like it did drop after the update.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/inside/cid=UP2054-CUSA05297_00-INSIDE0000000000

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

Happy 25th Birthday to the Super Nintendo. i will be celebrating with beer and games tonight.

Got one the day of release. Was working at a video game store but we didn't have any. Heard about a Toys R Us that had them and sent my brother on  a road trip. What an incredible system that was - still probably the best every, IMHO. 

• Like 2

The SNES was the system I saved up my own allowance and bought with my own money. And I'd also argue in terms of "what hardware can do vs. how far it was pushed", NES and SNES were probably the two taken the furthest. Don't get me wrong, modern gaming is incredible. But in some ways I feel games have become so complex and large that developers can no longer afford to just TRY SHIT and see if it will stick.