DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

On 8/3/2016 at 1:57 PM, Chaos said:

I think they're releasing the whole thing pretty quickly. I want to say that the disc version is out next month, so that would mean they'd have to drop these things at about one a week.

EDIT: Also, Inside is coming to PS4 which is exciting given the buzz surrounding that thing.

The disc version only has Episode 1 and the Season Pass for the rest, so if anything it implies that no other episodes will come out in the next month. Hopefully they will drop at one a month, I tend to wait until they are all out as I hate the idea of having to wait to finish a game.

Polished off UNCHARTED 3 today.  Took me about 3 days total to get through it, so it definitely felt like a 10-hour epilogue to the second game.

I enjoyed it a lot, even though it lacked the breathless crackhead pacing of the 2nd game.  It takes a while to get going, and, boy, could I have done without the existential wandering in the desert.  There were several places where it felt easy to take a break, whereas 2 just didn't let up.

That said, I think the sinking ship and the wild plane sequence hold their own in comparison to the set pieces in 2.

And I liked that the obligatory supernatural bad guys were minimized this time around.  Although, though three games, there's still yet to be a compelling main villain. 

So, since I listened to it I haven't been able to shake that the parts of the No Man's Sky soundtrack that aren't Percussion Gone Berserk sound a lot like the soundtrack to a pretty good underplayed game called Star Ruler. Anyway if you are into spacy, ambient background music, frankly it's probably the better version of the same.

Finished off Dark Souls 2 yesterday. Looking back i still need to kill a couple of the optional bosses and I've not tackled the DLC yet but since it doesn't throw you straight into NG+ i can always go back and hit those up. I've got mixed feelings on it. It's a good game, there were parts i really enjoyed, i just wanted to like it more than i did. The combat never really clicked with me, to much defensive fighting and temptation to just snipe everything across the map with arrows. Some of the later levels are just tedious to get through rather than being difficult. I never really liked the Hollow/Human Effigy mechanic either. In a game that expects you to die and learn, adding a penalty for dying seems like a bad idea. I didn't have that desire to slaughter every boss, by my self, every time that i had in Bloodborne. I killed 26 bosses but probably 2/3 of them with summons. Hopefully the 3rd game doesn't have forced PVP either, another bad idea.

I dunno, it just felt like something was missing in this game.

Maybe i would have liked it more if i didn't play Bloodborne first. Maybe if i played this first i wouldn't have liked Bloodbornes style as much. Looking at some gameplay from the 3rd game it seems like a mix of Dark Souls and Bloodbornes play style so perhaps i'll get on with that better. I'll probably wait until there's some sort of Game of the Year/compilation version with the DLC before i jump on it though unless the price drops. Then i'll probably give it a punt.

23 hours ago, assfax said:

Got Secret of Mana at the flea market.  35 bucks so it wasn't some major deal but whatever.

The fact that someone was willing to cough it up at all is a positive in your direction. Quick search shows three for north of $125 each.

Any of you guys watch e-sports? Freakin' CBS had kids playing NBA 2K16 on Sunday afternoon, and I was just marveled by the exposure and the money involved. I think the winning team split $250,000, which is more than I make in a year at work.

I don't see why people care, but I'm not a fan of any of the games I see being played. Not sure if I would like a Grand Theft Auto e-league, but I'd probably hate watching everyone combat roll around and quit watching quickly. Is this required viewing for anyone when it comes on cable?

Nah, not really.  I watched a couple of minutes of the show on TBS but looking at people playing Counter Strike got old pretty quickly.  It is a pretty big thing now though, and not even from competing in tournaments (though those can make tons of money) cause you can make millions just from people watching you on YouTube or Twitch.  Some of the stuff overseas (particularly Korea) is insane, like there are stadiums packed full of people watching other people play StarCraft.

Yeah whenever I walk by one of those game shops in the mall and I see what old cartridges of popular games go for now I fucking weep.

It is getting pretty insane.  I got a Genesis for last Christmas and even over the past few months prices for certain games have skyrocketed, like now CIB for The Punisher regularly goes for 2 or 3 hundred bucks.

For those of you that, unlike me, have had an Xbox One for longer than 5 mins, maybe you can help me out. I'm having trouble with backwards compatible titles in the store. A bunch of BC games when you click on them come up as 'currently unavailable for purchase'. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to them and if i log in on the PC and look at the store they are available to buy, they just don't work through the Xbox store itself. I did a quick google and there's a few comments about it but no reason or solution. Anyone else experience this?

I wanted to scoop up Final Fight in the Capcom sale to relive my childhood for £1.68 but apparently Microsoft don't want my money.

If you play WoW...

Take a couple days off.  The DH advance orders started today, along with the pre-expansion events.  The lag is real, and the Capital cities are unusable.

I am being very schizophrenic with my backlog. I loaded up GTA IV for the first time since V came out because I figured I probably should finish it. I forgot how rough the driving in IV feels when you're first acclimating to it, and tight turns can be a bitch to make. It doesn't help that my first mission back saw me having to chase down a train for Manny (gives you an idea as to where I am). Also, with doing very little, I ended up with a 5* wanted rating for the Officer McCreary blackmailing mission.

Started back on Dragon Age Origins, since my Mass Effect adventure has finished. Decided to start a new game, because it had been so long since I'd played it, I've mostly forgotten my character. Also, in my abandoned playthrough, I was a female mage, and part of the reason I gave up was I kept dying in every battle (and the game punishes you for dying). So now I'm a Dwarf Warrior who can hopefully Tank his way through.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GojiColin said:

I am looking forward to spending my weekend with Super Robot Wars OG: The Moondwellers.

Thank you Asia Region PS4 games and your sometimes Engrish-y subtitles.

I have to start that too, although to be fair I mostly bought it because Excellen's voice work in it is rumored to be the last role that Yuko Mizutani did before she passed away in May.  I've sort of lost interest in the OG stuff lately.

11 hours ago, dogwelder said:

I have to start that too, although to be fair I mostly bought it because Excellen's voice work in it is rumored to be the last role that Yuko Mizutani did before she passed away in May.  I've sort of lost interest in the OG stuff lately.

It's been a long time since I've visited the OG Universe.  In that regard I am soo happy that they've got the reference material translated so I can catch up on what's happened  between OG2 and now.

I had no idea that she had passed away, it turns out that once again cancer sucks.

2 hours ago, GojiColin said:

It's been a long time since I've visited the OG Universe.  In that regard I am soo happy that they've got the reference material translated so I can catch up on what's happened  between OG2 and now.

Well, it has been almost 4 years since OGs2.  And the Masoukishin stuff just seems to bore me so I ignored the two LOE games since.

Decided to attempt to get Witcher 2 off my pile of shame (mainly so I can be ready for the Witcher 3 GOTY edition)

Am pleased that when I did the tutorial this time it said I should play on Normal. Last time it mocked me and said to stick to Easy

On 8/13/2016 at 8:29 AM, dogwelder said:

Well, it has been almost 4 years since OGs2.  And the Masoukishin stuff just seems to bore me so I ignored the two LOE games since.

Yeah I got the first LOE game and found myself bored pretty quickly as well.

So my big plans of spending the weekend playing the game were for naught, I did manage to get through six maps though, I've been spending my cash on upgrading Compatible Kaiser and letting him tank enemies.  Also since it's been four years, I'm very happy to have the encyclopedia translated to refresh my mind about which alien invasion was which.