DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

2 hours ago, jstout said:

Any XBox One'ers playing "Inside"? Got a 10 from IGN, costs $20, but supposedly is really quick to finish. Sounds intriguing, but I hate downloadable games now because I can't trade them in for Gamestop credit.

I know the Giant Bomb guys really gushed over it. It's one I'd like to check out, but I also still have Limbo from that Developer still unplayed on my HD. It sounds like it's going to get some serious GOTY consideration from many publications.

I'm struggling with Dark Souls 2. I'm about 10 hours in and my biggest complaint is it isn't Bloodborne. I get that this is the type of game that should be played as intended and you are punished for not mastering its fighting style but i just don't like the combat in it. I went through the first few areas without even equipping a shield and trying to play it the same way i played Bloodborne. But the evading is too slow (unless you have crazy agility) and without the regain mechanic you cant trade blows with enemies and come out on top. I eventually started using the shield and bow in No-Mans Wharf just because it was the only way to get through it. I'm now that guy that sits behind a shield poking away at enemies with a halberd since i'm yet to find a weapon i really like. Or snipes enemies with a bow and binoculars so i don't have to engage them. Not really how i like playing but after dying half a dozen times in that area it was the only way to clear it out. Once i finally do get to the boss fights i find my self summoning anyone available just to smash through them. I think I've only killed one boss solo at this point. The complete opposite to Bloodborne where i only summoned for 2 bosses and that was after being stuck on them for days. 

I'm not crazy about the leveling up either. You want a good weapon and armor? Well you need lots of strength/dexterity. But now your guys too fat and slow so you have to level up your equipment load. Now you can finally use your new found toy without moving like a sloth it takes up so much endurance to swing it that you've got to level that up too. You just seem to have to spread your stats so thin to be able to use anything. Unless i'm missing something really obvious. In fact for the boss i did kill solo i stripped all my armor off so i could move faster but the further i get into the game the less of an option that becomes because everything just kills you with a couple of hits.

I can certainly see why people love Dark Souls, and maybe i ruined myself by playing Bloodborne first. But it might just not be for me. I'm going to push on though in hopes of finding a weapon and fighting style i enjoy playing with. I'm not ready to give up yet.

21 hours ago, Basara said:

I'm struggling with Dark Souls 2. I'm about 10 hours in and my biggest complaint is it isn't Bloodborne. I get that this is the type of game that should be played as intended and you are punished for not mastering its fighting style but i just don't like the combat in it. I went through the first few areas without even equipping a shield and trying to play it the same way i played Bloodborne. But the evading is too slow (unless you have crazy agility) and without the regain mechanic you cant trade blows with enemies and come out on top. I eventually started using the shield and bow in No-Mans Wharf just because it was the only way to get through it. I'm now that guy that sits behind a shield poking away at enemies with a halberd since i'm yet to find a weapon i really like. Or snipes enemies with a bow and binoculars so i don't have to engage them. Not really how i like playing but after dying half a dozen times in that area it was the only way to clear it out. Once i finally do get to the boss fights i find my self summoning anyone available just to smash through them. I think I've only killed one boss solo at this point. The complete opposite to Bloodborne where i only summoned for 2 bosses and that was after being stuck on them for days. 

I'm not crazy about the leveling up either. You want a good weapon and armor? Well you need lots of strength/dexterity. But now your guys too fat and slow so you have to level up your equipment load. Now you can finally use your new found toy without moving like a sloth it takes up so much endurance to swing it that you've got to level that up too. You just seem to have to spread your stats so thin to be able to use anything. Unless i'm missing something really obvious. In fact for the boss i did kill solo i stripped all my armor off so i could move faster but the further i get into the game the less of an option that becomes because everything just kills you with a couple of hits.

I can certainly see why people love Dark Souls, and maybe i ruined myself by playing Bloodborne first. But it might just not be for me. I'm going to push on though in hopes of finding a weapon and fighting style i enjoy playing with. I'm not ready to give up yet.

There's a character build that I forget the name of that gives you a decent bolt arrow spell off the bat and that's what I used for Demon's Souls and DS 1 and 2.

If you go the hand to hand route you do need to either go for speed or armor.  I found having speed to be overall much more useful so I kept my armor/weapons pretty light.

3 hours ago, Neil Koch said:

There's a character build that I forget the name of that gives you a decent bolt arrow spell off the bat and that's what I used for Demon's Souls and DS 1 and 2.

If you go the hand to hand route you do need to either go for speed or armor.  I found having speed to be overall much more useful so I kept my armor/weapons pretty light.

I'm definitely leaning more towards putting my xp into speed and endurance. At least i was until tonight when i found the freaking Dragonslayer from Berserk! Now i must divert all souls to strength so i can use this massive, impractical thing. I'm pretty sure it will be useless in any situation that isn't a wide open field but damn it, it looks awesome.

I've not dabbled in magic yet for ranged attacks. Right now my current strategy (and it seems to be working) is to buy 100s of arrows and kill/wound everything before it gets close then finish it off by poking them from behind my shield. That may all change once i can swing my new sword.

I have been trying to hold back all of my opinions on this because I didn't want to say too much until it was all availible. It still isn't. But! KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO ACT 4 is out today. Real talk: if you have ever liked an adventure game, or even a story, you should get Kentucky Route Zero. They say Act 5 is due within the next year. For reference, Act 3 came out in 2014, so, assume they're going to use most of the 12 months..

It's half off on Steam all week. Here is a very old trailer that's still a great example of their visual style. Play this game with the lights off.

I always hate Kotaku's list

I mean the fact that they keep Destiny but have bounced far better games is absurd (of course Arkham Knight was on there at one point too)

Not to mention Sunset Overdrive which only Fresh and now Stout have liked

• Like 1

Fresh and I can't help being right.

The key is to ignore Sunset Overdrive's " 'tude" and focus on the fact that the game is super fun. I can't imagine disliking a game just because its sense of humor is a failure.  And who couldn't like the sequences when the hero dies and comes back to life? You don't even wanna know about the ending, you'd HATE the ending.

Someday my prince, er, game, will come.

Well for me - I don't like the rail grinding.

I just really couldn't get past that.

Which was weird - since I didn't mind those parts when they would show up in Ratchet & Clank games

It's mainly used to get from place to place semi-quickly. It's a bad offensive tactic because even being near the ground is death. Better to sail around on the power lines and bounce on buildings and junked cars. 

I would use the rails to go from checkpoint to checkpoint instead of fast traveling. Considered going from place to place like that good practice in moving around when it counted.

2 hours ago, jstout said:

Thoughts? http://kotaku.com/the-best-games-for-the-xbox-one-1500422046

Any experiences with Dark Souls 3 or Diablo 3?

And they sum up my (mostly) love-(some) hate with Sunset Overdrive perfectly. The biggest no-brainer grab in Free Games with Gold history that no one liked. I gotta go play that multiplayer some more.

Diablo 3 was ok.  Basically mash buttons, get loot, improve your character, wash, rinse, repeat.  A lot more fun if you are playing with someone else.

I love the Souls games.  I think the "legendary difficulty" is over-rated.  They are games that don't hold you by the hand.  There are no tutorials and you have to figure out the game world and system on your own.  There is also a lot of trial and error.  If you like action/RPGs at all they are at least worth a try.

• Like 1

Might have a solution to my gaming blues: a month of subscription to EA Access. Wanted to play Dragon Age and could have fun goofing off with sports games. Might be a band-aid until I figure out a new game to get.

The Marvel Ultimate Alliance games will be out on Steam, Xbone and PS4 on Tuesday...at the god damned insane price of $40 each or $60 for the bundle.  At that price they had better have every DLC and platform-exclusive character from every version at no extra cost, including the PSP-exclusive Black Widow, Genis-Vell and Ronin/Echo in the first game.

don't know how many WoW players we have on the board but the patch for the Legion expansion went live this weekend and it looks like a totally different game visually. I pretty much have to retrain myself on my Rogue since some of the attacks have changed and I'm scared to see what was done to Paladin (if anything). The graphical upgrade is impressive as hell as everything looks far less cartoony now

James

I put a sizable dent into Dark Souls 2 over the weekend. I'm finding my groove in terms of combat, it's not how i want to play exactly but then i have to accept the game isn't Bloodborne. It helps that I've leveled up a bunch and no longer look like a beached whale when i attempt to roll. That and i have a giant sword. A giant, fucking, sword. That thing is impractical and almost useless in corridors but i don't care! I think i may be doing stuff out of order (not that there really is a order) since i breezed through Harvest Valley, despite all that goddamn poison, but enemies are hitting me damn hard in Iron Keep. The 2 NPC summons i fought basically 2 shotted me and were a bitch to take down. I have no idea how far i am into the game. I've killed maybe 10 bosses but i think i read somewhere that there are 30?

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

don't know how many WoW players we have on the board but the patch for the Legion expansion went live this weekend and it looks like a totally different game visually. I pretty much have to retrain myself on my Rogue since some of the attacks have changed and I'm scared to see what was done to Paladin (if anything). The graphical upgrade is impressive as hell as everything looks far less cartoony now

James

I reupped, then went through to fix up the transmog for my characters (no more hide head slot on the menu, gotta hit a transmorger).

Pally isn't too different, but they changed enough that I probably need to relearn the rotation.

That goes for most.  I need to relearn the rotations on my Warrior, Preist and Shaman too.

I realize this isn't breaking news or anything, but UNCHARTED 2 is dope.

I'm playing through the PS4 collection, and it took me weeks to force myself through Drake's Fortune.  But I started up Among Thieves yesterday, and I'm already halfway through in 2 days.  It's just fantastic the way it pulls you along through the story.  I have to make myself stop playing, as opposed to the other way around with the 1st game.

I still don't look forward to the big gunfights, but at least they feel more tactical in this game, as opposed to "here's an open area with a random assortment of cover spots and an onslaught bullet sponge baddies."

Funny story: I literally JUST started playing Wow for the first time ever on Sunday (as an activity to share with my GF and her family). Got a Rogue and Warlock to lv8 on Sun and Mon, came back Wed and the Rogue was near unrecognizable.

Only on Level 8?  Man, didn't even get into the specs yet. 

But yeah, before I took time off, I was starting up a Rogue that only hit 6 before I went.  Came back and I actually thought about rerolling before deciding to just plow through to 10 to get the specs and reset everything (heirloom items, didn't need to worry about nothing lining up.)

I dig the new appearance system, I just wish that you didn't have to go to a Transmorg Vendor to do it (since there are only like, 4 a side in the whole game.)

So I'm going through specs to see what I'd like to play as alts in Legion and enhancement shaman is a super fun spec now.  I think today I'm going to work on my fire mage and if there's time my warrior.  I have to be careful playing warrior because it's too much fun.  I look up and a few minutes later an entire zone is dead.