DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

A season into StarDew Valley and it's basically been all heartbreak.

Most of my first round of crops had been eaten by birds because I didn't realize I needed to build scarecrows.

Then I got to the flower dance and wasn't friendly enough with anyone to actually have a dance partner.

My only friend is Pam, the barfly who lives in a trailer who I buy friendship with through buying her drinks every night.

And now I need to get into Marnie's bedroom to get the Mayors pants back but we have a zero star relationship, she won't say more than one line to me.

People in this town need to value a dedicated farmer who puts all his time and money into a beautiful plot of land & supplying the community with a harvest bounty more than they do.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CSC said:

A season into StarDew Valley and it's basically been all heartbreak.

Most of my first round of crops had been eaten by birds because I didn't realize I needed to build scarecrows.

Then I got to the flower dance and wasn't friendly enough with anyone to actually have a dance partner.

My only friend is Pam, the barfly who lives in a trailer who I buy friendship with through buying her drinks every night.

And now I need to get into Marnie's bedroom to get the Mayors pants back but we have a zero star relationship, she won't say more than one line to me.

People in this town need to value a dedicated farmer who puts all his time and money into a beautiful plot of land & supplying the community with a harvest bounty more than they do.

I ran into the same problem you did about the flower dance.  Apparently you need 4 hearts or so to dance with someone and unless you were incredibly dedicated to one person, you don't get to dance with anyone your first year unless it's Haley.  That reminds me I gotta get something nice for Maru's birthday on the 10th.

That reminds me - there is a PokeShop right across the street from my apartment.

Which would be awesome - if it wasn't inside a Pediatrician’s office

And I am still bitter at the Pikachu that got away last night when I was walking the dog.

Yes - these are the things that consume me now

My office is a block away from the Hershey World PokeShop, which is apparently close enough that I can get stuff from there without actually going there.

(Why yes, I AM regretting this already.)

Absolutly nothing on my walk with the dog last night and this morning.  Course, there were a bunch of Zubats and a Pika across the street in the apartment complex, but I was too lazy to walk over there.

The closest Pokeshop to my house is the State Police Headquarters nearby, but that's back behind a gate, so going there is out.

Been watching a ton of GDQ this weekend. I wish I were half as good at just about anything as some of the folks are at the games they're playing. Was watching a Super Meat Boy run earlier. I could bang my head against that game...make it my full time job for the next year and never play it like this dude was. 

That said, it's fascinating to see how they figure out to shave every extra second out of these runs by using glitches and just flat out breaking mechanics of the game. 

I wanted to see what the fuss was about, so I downloaded Pokemon into my phone that's so old it's running Android 2.2. It hated that idea.

EDIT: No, it's 4.4. Pokemon has a minimum of 4.4.2. It just crashes at some point (varying points) every time.

The one benefit of having a dog and working on a college campus. I don't have to change my routine at all.

Of course I really need to speak to the leasing office about the apparent Ratata infestation we have in this complex 

Reading all of the tweets and posts about this has me so conflicted on this.  While I think it is great that there is a game that actually requires people to get off their ass to win and promotes some form of exercise, this has also shown to be kind of dangerous and almost an early christmas present for criminals and sexual predators.  Hearing stories about people looking for these things on fucking busy roads and in people's backyards.    This would be a perfect game 30 years ago for kids when going outside to play seemed a whole less dangerous then now 

There's a youtuber/ streamer who was also an Uber driver, who drove round all night streaming pokemon go, and witnessed a murder/ body dump. And then got fired from his Uber job because trolls false reported him. AlexRamiGaming. He's getting a lot of subs now.

I've been playing Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin and Assault Suit Leynos.

I'd never played any of the Souls games before. I picked up Bloodborne on a whim a few months back and loved it, sunk about 100 hours into it until i'd done everything there was to do and thoroughly beaten it. Anyway, Amazon had the PS4 version of Dark Souls 2 for £9.50 last weekend, it would have been rude not to buy it at that price. 

It's not grabbed me like Bloodborne yet did but it's still a damn good game. The combat is taking some getting used to. It's so much slower paced and defensive compared to Bloodborne. I had a very aggressive, violent, fighting style in that but that just doesn't carry over to Dark Souls. I've still not got used to using a shield, in fact I've hardly used it. The Hollow mechanic looks like it will make things 'interesting', especially if you get caught out late game with no way to make yourself Human. Kind of unusual in a game that expects you to die you get overly punished for dying (above just loosing your souls). There's also a hell of a lot more ambush enemies in this, guys just hanging around a corner waiting to jump out on you. Still, I've only put about 4 hours into it and only beaten the first boss but at the moment, its got my attention enough to try and beat it (or get stuck) but not enough that i can see it consuming all my free time like Bloodborne did there for a bit.

Assault Suit Leynos should have been out here on the 12th. I got home from work ready to drop some cash on it, went to the store, and...nothing. No game, no mention of it in the update, nothing. Then it just randomly appeared in the store on Friday. Don't know what happened there but i grabbed it this morning. We ended up getting screwed on the price here. Most games that are $20 tend to be around £12-£15 here so of course we get charged £20. And most digital only releases usually get a 10% discount on release week but there it sits, full price. Anyway, holly crap is it hard! I don't remember Cybernator every being this hard on the SNES but i never played the original of this one so maybe it's much harder than the sequel/prequel. Took me about an hour just to beat the first stage. Man i suck at it.

If there was a game i expected to die over and over again on, and achieve nothing, this weekend, i would have expected it to be Dark Souls 2. But here we are, with my childhood kicking my ass.

Finally started playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions, 2 weeks after getting it.  I was super excited for the game, but once it was in hand the 2-hour opening stretch you expect from a Persona game just seemed incredibly daunting.   

So far it's cool.  The play mechanics are just different enough from P4 (no free hit after hitting an enemy with their weak element; if a teammate has something of the same element they'll combo it automatically but it has to be the same enemy) to take some getting used to.  And since both screens are required (the touchscreen is your phone with map and other management stuff) I can't just play through it while I watch TV. So it may take a while to beat...

So I've never done Crusader Kings II as a Byzantine before and my God, Born in the Purple is both a good but horribly frustrating mechanic. It's no wonder the real life Byzantines were in fucking chaos so much and became nothing.

For those not familiar with the Purple gimmick, it goes like this. Usually your oldest kid will inherit all your shit if you die. But let's say you have two kids before you become Emperor, then after you become emperor you have another. In Byzantine that kid becomes Born in the Purple, and suddenly cue jumps to #1 for the Empire title... but not any of the smaller ones you also hold (things like ACTUAL LAND where you have castles, soldiers, the good stuff). Fucking Born in the Purple.

There used to be an Assasinate feature in the game they took out ages ago because it made save/load exploits a joke, so it's much harder to get rid of troublesome family members than it once was. Honestly, the best "solution" I can figure out so far is that the first damn thing you should do when you come to power is have your wife arrested.

The middle ages, man.

so I'm gonna use this number system I have again, because I want to start keeping a better log of what I'm playing and what I feel about it for myself. Recap:

4: I love it
3: I don't regret buying it
2: I regret buying it
1: I hate it

SEGA BASS FISHING [3] - I've always wanted to own this, ever since I had a Dreamcast as a kid. I don't know why. I've only been fishing once, flyfishing at an Idaho river. No bites. I learned my feet were too fresh, too uncalloused on my way down to the river bank. I walk barefoot on blacktop almost constantly now. I own SEGA Bass Fishing now. I'm equally satisfied with SEGA Bass Fishing as I am with my rough ass feet.

VIDEOBALL [4] - DISCLOSURE: I'm a chat moderator in the twitch channel of the developer.

I like this game. I like playing it, I like hearing it, I like thinking about it. It's conceptually smoothed of flaws, like some eerie piece of woodwork. It's functionally got some network problems, like uneven table legs. But it's a damn fine table, and someday someone's gonna stuff something under that weird leg and it'll be really great and usable again.

DRAWFUL 2 [2] - My experience is, it's broken. It's so fucking tragic that it's broken because it's such an incredible idea. Basically: you get an awkward drawing prompt ("other end of a black hole", "peace on earth", "former werewolf," "dinner for breakfast"), and you have to draw it on your smartphone, and you cannot erase it. It's beautiful in it's simplicity. In Drawful 2, the major change is you now have two colors, and still no eraser. Downside: in older Jackbox stuff, if your phone disconnected you could reconnect if you were fast enough. No longer, it seems. And not everyone has the best most reliable smartphone. Sucked the air out of the house I brought it to. I could have accomplished that for a lot less than $10, in a lot less time.

STREET FIGHTER 5 STORY MODE [1] - ohhhhh jeez. Okay, let's start here and move backwards: one of the AI only opponents you fight is an Ethiopian Cammy clone, with facepaint and a monkey friend, who chucks spears. This is not the most lazy thing about this five hour dumpster excavation, but it is a really strong analogy. EVO 2016 wrapped up hours ago when I wrote this, and usually I leave EVO re-energized to play Street Fighter and learn more. On Friday I played the Street Fighter story mode. Upon the conclusion of EVO, I am where I was pre-story mode. This is a long way of saying, "this almost ruined all fighting games for me."

JOURNEY [4] - I also did this on Friday, because I bought it in the PSN flash sale. I... I don't really know what to say about this? I'll give a recap. I played it at midnight. I didn't have a PS3 so this is my first time to play it. I was very lucky to have the same partner through a large majority of the game. We interacted a lot, sometimes flirtaciously and sometimes terrified and concerned, but it was us the whole time through.

I've been having a really hard year. There is a lot of death around, and a lot of heartbreak around those untouched by the former. I'm getting tested in a lot of ways I've never been tested before. There's a very real sense of time running out, about how I could sit down and mourn and be another year behind on my ambitions or I could choke on it, and keep moving, and it'll come out in some way I can't control but at least I haven't lost ground.

So, maybe the way I wept powerfully after finishing a game with the ultimate message of "it's gonna be okay, we're gonna make it, and we'll make it together" is pretty much acceptable and normal.

next few months, i'm gonna be working on Suikoden 2, Boxboxboy, finishing Hyper Light Drifter, and they're putting out Garou Mark Of The Wolves with online play so my whole life is basically going to center around that for a little. I'd also like to give Dirt Rally another go.

Any XBox One'ers playing "Inside"? Got a 10 from IGN, costs $20, but supposedly is really quick to finish. Sounds intriguing, but I hate downloadable games now because I can't trade them in for Gamestop credit.

I also started a log of number scores a few years back, only I buck the 'yes / no / maybe' scoring trend in favour of a possibly now retro ten point scale. Yes, it does feel like overkill to go into that much detail and yes sometimes it's a struggle to pin a precise number on something but the tiers are well enough defined in my head that sometimes a game is right between two of them and I briefly consider switching to a twenty point scale before feeling silly. It's also not that useful for bad games because once I decide playing a game isn't something I'd advise I tend to stop playing it rather than keep on going until I've gathered enough feedback to make a claim on exactly how much not worth playing it is.