DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

31 minutes ago, Control said:

So, I got a PS4 for Xmas, and all I have is Witcher III, Fallout 4, and Star Wars: Battlefront. Any suggestions for a next purchase? Haven't played on a game system since PS2. Not a big fan of sports games, but otherwise I'm down for pretty much anything (I think).

In addidtion to what Chaos suggested: Grand Theft Auto V is a hell of a thing and is worth playing.  Diablo 3 is also great if you like that sort of game, and is one of the best couch co-op games on the system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Control said:

So, I got a PS4 for Xmas, and all I have is Witcher III, Fallout 4, and Star Wars: Battlefront. Any suggestions for a next purchase? Haven't played on a game system since PS2. Not a big fan of sports games, but otherwise I'm down for pretty much anything (I think).

Ratchet and Clank is really fun, a great graphical showcase and $40 US.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Control said:

You can't go wrong with the Uncharted Collection, which is pretty cheap nowadays. Also, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag is 100+ hours and a lot more fun compared to previous AC's. J.T. would tell you to avoid Watch_Dogs because it's bad. I would agree but I'm a trophy hunter. I also liked Killzone Shadowfall when the multiplayer community was active but nowadays there's barely 20 people on multiplayer. You could get Knack and The Order 1886 but then you would have problems. Also, Infamous: Second Son and Bloodborne might be worth getting.

Also, Rocket League. Seriously.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Control said:

If you're in to Final Fantasies, FF X/X-2 remastered is available, and FF XII International/Zodiark version will be out next year.

• Like 1

Get Rayman Legends. That game is amazing. I also liked inFamous: Second Son and First Light, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Rogue Legacy, Don't Starve, Resogun, Shadow of Mordor, AC IV: Black Flag, Guacamelee: STCE, and Ratchet and Clank enough to suggest them, off the top of my head. Rocket League and Super Mega Baseball too, though you don't like sports games - those are two games that people who don't like sim sports games enjoy, in my experience. 

• Like 1

If anyone cares, the PS4 and XBone versions of Pac-Man 256 are microtransaction-free. All the different skins are unlocked by default, and while you have to spend Coins to upgrade power-ups they are instantaneous and the payouts for finishing goals are much higher.  Downside: no continues, meaning I'll never beat my Android high score because I'm fundamentally bad at the game.

• Like 1

I started to play Gone Home last night (It was late is the only reason I didn't do it in one sitting). I explored all of the open areas of the house, and I feel like I'm missing something. I am missing a key to I think 3 different rooms to explore further, and I am missing 2 different combinations to a filing cabinet and a safe which I figured I'd have found looking through items. I will take a stab at this again over the weekend. I don't want to look it up, as I know a game like this will spoil the experience.

Has anyone ever created a DVDVR group on Steam?

I barely use my Steam account but because I am bored at work - I am updating my profile (which I should have done like... oh... 7 years ago)

I didn't see one so I figured I would ask before creating one (that no one would join)

• Like 3

I didn't see any thread offhand for this but does anyone have some suggestions for mobile games to play on an Iphone. I'm very bored of Candy Crush and I am now playing Simpsons Tapped Out on my Kindle because I like the bigger screen.  

Beat Uncharted 4: A Thief's End this morning (on Hard no less).

The gameplay on Hard isn't as 'easy' as it was on UC1-3 (I pretty much got to the point where I had the games memorized).

The story for UC4 is a better story and goes a long way towards Nathan Drake as a character.

My only problem is there are literally no more secrets regarding Nathan Drake/Nathan Morgan. There's almost a psychological dimension to his character when you look at the journey the character takes from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 4 (including Golden Abyss in there too).

The ending and Epilogue are truly great. The whole game really tries to make a game for adults by talking about things that aren't in video games in a mature manner: family, relationships, love, fulfillment, and happiness. Nathan Drake and Elena Fisher's relationship over the course of four games is really spectacular as well.

Plus, I'm jealous of their house at the end of the game.

On June 24, 2016 at 1:35 PM, ingrsco said:

I didn't see any thread offhand for this but does anyone have some suggestions for mobile games to play on an Iphone. I'm very bored of Candy Crush and I am now playing Simpsons Tapped Out on my Kindle because I like the bigger screen.  

There's always the nerd edition of the match-3 genre:

Marvel Puzzle Quest, Star Trek: wrath of gems, Doctor Who Legacy

Fired up Star Wars: Battlefront for the first time today. I picked it up last week off Amazon after they dropped it down to £13, couldn't argue at that price.

It's a lot of fun, me and a buddy put about 2-3 hours into it this afternoon, mostly on knocking out the tutorial missions and playing survival. It really could have done with more solo and offline content and i definitely would have felt ripped off if i'd dropped £40-50 on it at launch but for a little over a tenner i cant argue, i'll easily get my moneys worth.

• Like 1

Disc Jam play-test is going on for the next 6 hours.

Haven't been able to connect to anybody yet. :(

Edit: only a few people on right now but it's a blast!

Edited by Oyaji

I got halfway through Uncharted 2 and played the first two chapters of Uncharted 3 and tapped out. Those games are not any good, and I can't help but compare them to the Tomb Raider re-boot because the latter does everything that Uncharted does much, much better than Uncharted does those things. 

I traded it in and got Punch-Out!! for Wii, which no Pro Controller support aside, is more of that delicious sports/puzzle Punch-Out!! formula and therefore is quite good. 

6 hours ago, Tabe said:

Interesting take. I liked the new Tomb Raider but it's nowhere near as good as the adventures of Nathan Drake. 

I don't really compare the new Tomb Raider to Uncharted at all. To me, the new Tomb Raider is more like Batman: Arkham Asylum but with guns. It has insane amount of collectibles in each area. Even if you don't care about trophies/achievements, it's still a massive amount.

On 6/1/2016 at 8:37 AM, JLSigman said:

Next up will be purchasing "Blood and Wine" for Witcher 3 and doing another full run of that.

Unless you have a metric fuck ton of money at the end of the regular Witcher game, I'd recommend a new play-through (or new game +) before trying too much in "Blood and Wine". EVERYTHING is expensive. I got about part way through, realized I'd need to grind out a ridiculous amount of money just to upgrade my armor, and started over.

7 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Been replaying Knights of the Old Republic and it might be one of like three games I'd actually give a shit if it got remastered (Final Fantasy VI, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen).

I want to say that there is a full fan-made HD remake of KOTOR coming out sometime. My understanding is it's not being blocked either. 

http://www.apeirongame.com/