DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

The whole Uncharted combat system is based around making you run out of ammo when you camp in one spot, so you have to go from cover to cover to reload. Sometimes it's extremely frustrating.

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

The whole Uncharted combat system is based around making you run out of ammo when you camp in one spot, so you have to go from cover to cover to reload. Sometimes it's extremely frustrating.

Yeah, it's frustrating because the other cover options are never great and usually end up with you being flanked, especially if you don't time shooting down environmental stuff to help eliminate a few bad guys. I've run in to multiple sections where it's taken me 4-5 times to clear out a wave of baddies.

Latest acquisitions.  Guess I was in the mood for some good old fashioned warfare.  The Contra actually has the Japanese version in it.  I would say that I was yet again duped, but I suck at Contra (though I love the games) so I welcome the easier path.  I got the MD version of Rambo III because it was a lot cheaper.   Apparently Europeans hate freedom ;)

2016-05-03%2020.26.04_zpsb29spkea.jpg

Just had a Foz is Old Moment.

My brother was doing some upgrades to my machine, and he said "hey, if there's anything important on those two 500GB drives, you may want to move them off, the drives are a decade old, so they're long since past predicted failure time")

I looked: NBA, OOTP, Battlefleet, Payday 2, XCOM 2.. well fuck.

Thank god in Steam it's simple to delete and redownload. 

Thank GOD FIOS doesn't have data caps.. because I have em..er.. 120 GB to download queued up.

Remember when games came on a 1.44 MB floppy? And the expansion.. came on another 1.44 floppy ? :)

• Like 2

Game file sizes are insane now.  Pac Man on PS4 is 890 MB!  With all of the patches and DLC, GTAV is 60 GB.

I started gaming on Commodore 64 and Apple II, I don't think those big floppy disks were even a MB.  Games like Bard's Tale had 4 or five double sided disks with them.

I think the worst were the bad old days just before CD-ROMs became ubiquitous when games would come on dozens of floppies.  Police Quest 4 came on 18 discs I think and took over an hour to install.

Stellaris is pretty good, it's going to be great once there's a little more meat to it.  

The old Commodore 5 1/4" floppies topped out at 1.4MB, roughly the same as the 3.5" floppies that had the hard plastic shell.  The reason why games that don't take up a ton of space today took like, 8 discs is that you couldn't load the whole damn thing into memory (Apple IIe's topped at alike, 32KB, Commodore 128's at 128KB, although there were way more Commodore 64's, which topped at 64KB without an expansion), so you had to do constant disc access for shit to run.

Apple II 5.25 discs were 140k. 

Ultima 5 on the Apple II was four double-sided discs. 

5.25 discs on the Commodore 64 were, indeed, 170k.

37 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Apple II 5.25 discs were 140k. 

Ultima 5 on the Apple II was four double-sided discs. 

5.25 discs on the Commodore 64 were, indeed, 170k.

I was remembering the low-density IBM PC flopppies, which were actually 360KB (high density were 1.2 MB)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Microsoft is ending Project Spark

It is no longer being sold and online services will end August 12

Which is a total shame. Microsoft seems to have a terrible track record with Xbox One games and I wouldn't be surprised if their next console is a Windows 10 PC shell named Xbox.

• Like 1

Witcher 3 is real good. I wasn't hooked at first, but then I got to Velen, the world opened up and it sunk its hooks into me big time. I think I played 10 hours in the past two days.

I enjoyed Skyrim, but never bothered to finish it. It was, for me, maybe a little too freeform. I appreciate that this game is a more directed experience. Even a lot of the sidequests seem to serve the main storyline in some way. 

Also, even on consoles, the game is GORGEOUS. I find myself occasionally just stopping and taking in the sunset. 

I'm still a bit iffy on the combat. That's the weakest part of the game to me, so far. Maybe I'm just not doing a good job using all the tools at my disposal, though. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2016 at 10:30 PM, Tabe said:

Uncharted 4 is really pretty and lots of fun. And the sequence at the beginning with Nathan and Elena is pretty great. 

I really liked that sequence a lot. It reminded me a bit of A History of Violence where a former criminal tries to lead a normal life. I can see more games doing this in the future where it has elements of real life but still maintains 'a video game structure.'

So far the game is more cinematic and mature than the previous Uncharted games.

I may just go back and Platinum/100% the PS4 Uncharted Collection before I get much further.

• Like 1

I've finished the first 3 episodes of Life is Strange. I thought this would be a fairly stress free story based game to play after spending weeks slaughtering beasts and god knows what in Bloodborne. Now i feel like i'll potentially kill someone with every tiny decision i make. Episode 3 was harsh! Damn good game though.

What's The Banner Saga like? I've heard good things and it's currently a little over £6 on the UK PSN store. I prefer RTS to turn based but it is tempting at that price...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Basara said:

I've finished the first 3 episodes of Life is Strange. I thought this would be a fairly stress free story based game to play after spending weeks slaughtering beasts and god knows what in Bloodborne. Now i feel like i'll potentially kill someone with every tiny decision i make. Episode 3 was harsh! Damn good game though.

What's The Banner Saga like? I've heard good things and it's currently a little over £6 on the UK PSN store. I prefer RTS to turn based but it is tempting at that price...

I actually cried after the ending to episode 3/beginning to episode 4. To me, Life Is Strange is probably one of the best games I've played in 2015.

Beat Uncharted 4.  Pretty good.  Waaaay too much "give me a boost" and roadie case pushing.   Really liked how I could sometimes just sneak past badguys.

I'm going to see if I can beat this new Doom in one sitting tonight.

25 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I actually cried after the ending to episode 3/beginning to episode 4. To me, Life Is Strange is probably one of the best games I've played in 2015.

The game just gets your hopes up only to crush them. 

Spoiler

I managed to save Kate at the end of episode 2. Thought i was doing well. I figured, after changing the past and saving William, i did good in episode 3 as well. Nope! The game does not want these people to have a happy ending it seems.

I'll be jumping into episode 4 tonight but probably wont get chance to make any progress until during the week.