DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Knockout mode is WAY too much fun.

My self-titled character was doing very well as a boxer before, well..

I gotta conserve my stamina more, and block more, and generally suck less.

The career mode is fun with the random events, and with the fighter aging and losing a bit off his fastball.  I find it very well done.

And holy shit the Bruce Buffer intros give ya chills.

He does those crazy, wild, swinging hooks when his opponent is rocked. That rules. And boy does he rock his opponent on the reg.

I thought I beat Lombard with Magny via decision multiple times but each time he got the nod. I used distance strikes and even rocked him multiple times (I guessed that Magny would beat Lombard via decision this weekend, so I was trying to replicate that). I didn't want to accidentally KO him, so I couldn't go in for the kill. Still, I was more accurate, had 37 more sig. strikes, and almost 100 more total strikes. More takedowns too and while he swept me a few times, I still thought I won the grappling exchanges. WHATEVER, GAME.

The grappling is way, way better. I love how if you defend transitions initially, you'll gas out your opponent and have a much easier time with your own transitions. Very nice touch. Only thing I'm disliking is they don't have the directional indicator for blocking transitions when holding R2/RT like they do in practice mode. It's hard to tell which direction I'm supposed to be blocking sometimes. And those fucking sweeps...

Still, the in-game stuff seems like a significant improvement. Fights are better paced and everything seems pretty well balanced in comparison to the first one. The matchmaker feature is a babystep to where it ought to be: a full-on UFC matchmaker experience where you run the company and deal with injuries/retirements/etc. That's a must for the third version or I'm likely not buying.

That was hilarious.

I also bought UFC 2 and really like it. Career mode is pretty bland, but the game plays really well. I would also imagine that issues like wonky judging can be fixed with title updates.

From what I understand, UFC 1 had a slew of issues that were all patched up and it was one of the better efforts put forth by devs after a game came out to really fix everything that was wrong.

I finished my career mode at 14-8 with a loss to Robbie Lawler.

My main issue was that I started my eponymous character at my actual age (36) which led to a shortened career.  As you could see in the Punk video, I was very sloppy and had zero stamina past the opening rounds.  It was early KO or nothing and later in the career, it was nothing more and more (although I did get a shocking KTFO on Lawler in our first encounter). 

In the retirement fight, Rogan and Goldberg even talked about how my character was never a star but could always give you a good fight.  Little touches like that were cool.

It doesn't appear I can export from career mode to the regular mode, however, which sucks bigtime.  The most I can do is import my character's appearance into Ultimate Team.

On my next character (probably a women's bantamweight) I intend to focus more on takedowns and wrestling, especially considering how terrible everyone apparently is at it.

In the two fights I've had in career mode, I took both opponents down and quickly got to mount to rain down punches.

So far, it doesn't seem like you're penalized for restarting training mini games, which I kind of like. If you can get up to an A, you're free to then just keep boosting your stats during training camp. 

Yeah, the support for UFC 1 was shockingly great. I didn't expect that from an EA game but here we are. We already got 3 DLC characters with Sage, Jessica Aguilar, and some mystery fighter. Any idea who it is?

Conan O Brien probably.  He played Conor on his show and it looked like his model had hair that isn't in create a fighter.

EDIT:  Alphabetically, it's probably Joe Rogan.  Go to an online game and welterweight and you can see his spot.

Time for another stardew valley story. I regret not having a screen cap or footage or something.

I'm letting my friends name my animals (with the exception of my dog Human and eventually my horse Phillies). I bought two chickens today.

The first chicken was named by my street fighter practice buddy's girlfriend. The chicken is now named Magnet. She apparently was inconsolable for an hour when she came up with it.

The second chicken was going to be named by my friend in Japan. She stammered and hem'd and haw'd until I said "say the word on your mind right now." Which ended up being a Japanese term for a penis. So when I went to buy the chicken I went through all the steps- click buy animals, click chickens, click the coop I wanted to put them in... when the Enter Their Name field popped up, the name that was filled in by default was, swear to fuck, "No."

I'll say it again- this game is special.

Conan O Brien probably.  He played Conor on his show and it looked like his model had hair that isn't in create a fighter.

EDIT:  Alphabetically, it's probably Joe Rogan.  Go to an online game and welterweight and you can see his spot.

Joe Rogan posted that he's a character in the game this morning.

82 is still the lowest in the whole game.

Joe has some sick spinkicks and shit

He's a Taekwondo guy, of course he does spinkicks.