DVDVR Message Board

UFC 195: Lawler vs. Condit (1/2/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

That actually makes sense to me. Round 3 seemed to be mostly Lawler. It's hard though when you have Condit landing loads of leg kicks and punches but then Lawler landing what seem like more meaningful power shots. That's tough to score.

I am still trying to figure out how form proper sentences. I am not sure my brain can fully comprehend what just happened.

I don't understand how Condit could conduct an interview and sound so calm and normal after those shots he took in the last round.

This fight lived up to the hype for sure. I don't care about any other fight in the division other than a rematch.

• Like 1

I am still trying to figure out how form proper sentences. I am not sure my brain can fully comprehend what just happened.

I don't understand how Condit could conduct an interview and sound so calm and normal after those shots he took in the last round.

This fight lived up to the hype for sure. I don't care about any other fight in the division other than a rematch.

100% all of this.

I actually had it even going into the final round with Condit taking rounds 1 and 4 and Lawler with rounds 2 and 3. I don't know what to make of that fifth round other than it was fucking awesome.

That's how I scored it as well, with Robbie taking the fifth to seal a super close fight. Fucking awesome main event for sure. I was on the edge of my seat for the fifth rooting for Robbie to pull it off. Great stuff. And still!

Loving Robbie's fights, hell of a way to kick off 2016. The ending of both guys exhausted at the final bell was epic.

a bit gutted after the Arlovski-Stipe fight. don't get me wrong, i knew it was long odds for AA, but such a tough loss after an odds-defying streak he's been on.

there were 4 of us watching, all rooting for Andrei, and literally seconds after it was all over we were all like *deep breath* "well fuck. let's get on to Lawler-Condit". no complaints, no questions, just acceptance and moving on.

and damn, that main. delivered on all expectations and then some. the knockdown from Condit in R1 had me worried, but R2 confirmed that this was a war of attrition. had Condit up 3-1 headed into R5 (R3 being a coin flip) but had no idea what would happen with the judges' call. happy to see Lawler win, and if they rematched now you'd never hear a word of complaint from me.

fun night of fights all around. 2016 rocks!

I scored it for Condit, but I'm not even mad about it.  That was one of the best fights I've ever seen.  I can't be mad at Lawler for winning even.  I mean I wish both guys could get millions for that fight alone and Condit could get a belt too.  

But honestly?  I had it for Condit rounds 1, 3 and 4.  I thought round 2 was solidly Lawler's.  Condit was getting volume and strikes thrown, but he wasn't landing on all those strikes.  Now he was mixing it up and using a lot of kicks.  He was using leg kicks very effectively against Lawler.  But even watching that third round, while I gave it to Condit, I thought that's one of those swing rounds a judge might have trouble with.  Lo and behold, two judges gave round 3 to Lawler and not Condit.  

I'm not saying it was the right decision, but I can sort of legitimately see why it was scored this way.  Sometimes the champion just gets the advantage in the scoring in these situations.  Lawler had the bigger power shots.  Had the center of the cage most of the fight.  Plus that aggressive flurry in round 5.  

Now going back further, watching it live, I initially scored Condit/Diaz for Diaz 3-2.  I could be wrong, but that's how I saw it live cage-side back then.  For Hendricks/Lawler I, I kind of thought Lawler won that one too.

I still can't find the will to get mad here though because I love that fight.  Even if this fight doesn't do a big buyrate, I hope Dana and Lorenzo do right by Condit and send him a nice bonus check of with an extra zero.

• Like 1

a bit gutted after the Arlovski-Stipe fight. don't get me wrong, i knew it was long odds for AA, but such a tough loss after an odds-defying streak he's been on.

there were 4 of us watching, all rooting for Andrei, and literally seconds after it was all over we were all like *deep breath* "well fuck. let's get on to Lawler-Condit". no complaints, no questions, just acceptance and moving on.

I think one of the downfalls in Arlovski's game is he has to get his counterstriking started. Against guys you can time with a sundial, he's your guy because some of his technique is impeccable. The problem he runs up on with his skillset is you either got people who are about as fast with enough technique (basically someone like Miocic) to soundly beat him or people who sometimes don't throw enough offense for him to counter. The latter is what led to the dreadful fights against Schaub and Mir.

Rogan brought it up in the broadcast, but I have to repeat it. It's a shame that he waited so long to leave Chicago to go to Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejohn. He might not have the chin to really be one of the HW greats, but I think his athleticism at his peak plus those guys would have got some great performances. Now, he's a bit heavier and sacrifices the movement he had earlier in his career for better defense on the feet. He's basically doing the best he can with not a whole lot left in the tank and having veteran experience. I would be fine with him fighting a Gonzaga, JDS, or somebody like that.

• Like 2

I think one of the downfalls in Arlovski's game is he has to get his counterstriking started. Against guys you can time with a sundial, he's your guy because some of his technique is impeccable. The problem he runs up on with his skillset is you either got people who are about as fast with enough technique (basically someone like Miocic) to soundly beat him or people who sometimes don't throw enough offense for him to counter. The latter is what led to the dreadful fights against Schaub and Mir.

Rogan brought it up in the broadcast, but I have to repeat it. It's a shame that he waited so long to leave Chicago to go to Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejohn. He might not have the chin to really be one of the HW greats, but I think his athleticism at his peak plus those guys would have got some great performances. Now, he's a bit heavier and sacrifices the movement he had earlier in his career for better defense on the feet. He's basically doing the best he can with not a whole lot left in the tank and having veteran experience. I would be fine with him fighting a Gonzaga, JDS, or somebody like that.

man, people have complained about Arlovski's chin since the days when he got KO'd by Sylvia (and especially Fedor).

Arlovski has always had a decent enough chin. what kills him is that his defense was complete shit for the longest time (i'm looking at you, Strikeforce run!)

you can see the improvement that Jackson/Wink have made to this gap, but it's still sorely lacking. honestly, this latest UFC run is almost a fairy tale run for someone who's been around as long as him and even three years ago people were writing him off as done with no chance of ever competing in the UFC again.

until the day of retirement, WAR ARLOVSKI!

• Like 1

The Freddie Roach thing worked more to his detriment. Roach teaches boxing that goes against what most of the people he works with in MMA are taught. It hampered Arlovski in the same way King Mo was working with Jeff Mayweather. You're going against people are who going to throw stuff from all types of awkward angles that you don't see doing regular boxing sparring. Instead of working to integrate as part of your game like Joel Diaz has done with Cub Swanson in the past, you're basically relying on your opponent making a glaring mistake while you line up the perfect punch or combination.

Lately, they've been putting up the PPVs much sooner than the 3 months they were doing previously.

That fucking fight. The ending with both men leaning on the cage and Big John congratulating them for putting on a masterpiece was beautiful and Rocky/Creed-esque. That sort of exhibition of will and determination is what makes combat sports so great. I thought Lawler would have a much easier time closing distance but the kicks and long jab/straight combinations really did the trick for about 75% of the fight. Unfortunately for Carlos, Lawler really made that ~25% count. I had it for Condit (effective volume over effective power), but like TheVileOne, I can't be too arsed about the decision. If that's how Condit goes out, good on him for a really solid career. If not, rematch those two ASAP please. Jesus, he was wincing in pain during that backstage interview. What a fighter.

I don't remember such a great series of cards (even the free TV ones) from UFC like this before. Great entertainment every show and outside of having a legitimate rival promotion/fighters getting fucked over on pay, this is a great time to be an MMA fan.

• Like 2

I don't remember such a great series of cards (even the free TV ones) from UFC like this before.

There were a couple of stretches at least, but you didn't necessarily have the big shows in there.

It also helps that there hasn't been a rash of injuries to notable fighters lately. That's always a giant plus.

• Like 1

Watched the main event again just there and still think Condit should've won it, not in a "he was robbed" way but definitely (and obviously) got the wrong end of the stick. As said above I guess Robbies strikes counted more over the volume of Condits in the judges eyes.

• Like 2

Only in one round, which...I mean, I thought was a clear round for Condit.  However, Round 3 is one of those rounds were there weren't a lot of big exchanges.  So my reaction watching that round live was that it could be a swing round for the judges.  

• Like 1

Ya good point. But having the chance to have watched it (round 3) twice, first time to see why the judges would score it for Condit and the second time trying to see why they'd score it for Robbie I still think Condit takes Round 3. At no point i said "Robbie might have got that one", live i said Condit had it and on replay i said he just about had it.

Which would give Condit 1,3,4 and Lawler 2 and 5, but we have the benefit of watching it again the judges obviously do not.

I think this was one of those nights where the judge's decided kicks don't score. Both the guys who looked to be outpointing their opponents with kicks lost by decision (haven't watched the prelims yet, just the main card).

I really think Arlovski should test the open market and look for a Fedor fight if Rizin have the money

Ugh. We saw it when they were in their prime. Don't need to see it now that they're both past their prime.

Yeah was thinking more about potential money making opportunities for him rather than him getting KOed again

Year starts off with a BOOM~!  Fight of the Year nom a mere four days into 2016.  What a fucking war!

Naturally there will be a rematch because there will be money to be made even though one probably shouldn't happen.  Condit fought his heart out but he lost, so he should make way for a new contender, maybe Maia or whomever wins a fight between MacDonald and Woodley.

My scorecard had Condit winning that fight.  Lawler had the more memorable shots that did the most visible damage but Condit was a busy fighter and I like busy fighters. 

Condit also has a chin like a rhino, so I felt that the "visible damage" was not a factor because Condit was still walking Lawler down and imposing his will aka this "aggression" thing that is supposed to factor into scoring but rarely does IMO..

That's one of those things, a close decision that could have gone either way would lead to a rematch if there weren't other viable challengers in (or around) the division. But with the depth the divisions have now, and the rematch fatigue that Benson Henderson gave all the casual fans, it's you lost, back of the queue, earn your way back up.

I think this was one of those nights where the judge's decided kicks don't score. Both the guys who looked to be outpointing their opponents with kicks lost by decision (haven't watched the prelims yet, just the main card).

I don't know if it is a problem with the judges not scoring kicks or that there is no real definition of effective striking. Round 3 of the main event was Condit landing double the amount of strikes of Lawler, but Lawler landing fewer but bigger strikes.  What is more effective, Condit's volume or Lawler's power?  Neither guy really hurt the other, both guys kind of fought the way they wanted to fight, and the judges have to sit there and decide which one was more effective.  There really isn't a right or wrong answer, but I gave Condit's volume more credit than Lawler's power.  I don't think power should be taken into consideration unless that power accounts for a knockdown or at least makes the opponent switch up his strategy.  If a punch lands hard and clean it should matter, but it shouldn't matter more than a guy landing at twice the rate.  The vagueness of MMA rules leads to a lot of the terrible MMA judging.