DVDVR Message Board

Christmas songs that don't suck

Cristobal

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

Thank you. My favourite Christmas song of all time. Never changed that opinion.

Roy Wood is the coolest motherfucker who has ever lived, that is all.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2016 at 6:26 PM, odessasteps said:

This dates me terribly, but I remember my parents bought this single for me, or maybe it was "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron", shit, I can't remember, it's been fifty years...

I swear I had Snoopy vs. the Red Baron, or one of the sequels, on vinyl when I was a kid too. I also had "On Top of Old Smokey" and a really fucking cool surf rock compilation that had a bunch of Big Daddy Roth drawings on the cover. Man, wish I still had those; I probably destroyed them like I inevitably did all my toys as a child. 

Looking it up, the latter was probably a Mr. Gasser and the Weirdos LP, maybe Hot Rod Hootenanny. 

As much love as the Charlie Brown Christmas special gets, I am much more fond of the Royal Guardsman song.  Such a great tune.

With Christmas songs about hope for peace and everything, I'm finding it more depressing with each passing year due to current events.  But this is still an amazing song, just kind of gets harder to listen to if I think about things.

• 11 months later...

I think that with Christmas songs, there should be some that should be retired, like jersey numbers. Can anyone do "Blue Christmas" any justice after Elvis? Maybe, but doubtful, take it off the list. Same with Burl Ives' "Holly Jolly Christmas."

Christmas music sucks because all it is every damn year is the country-music-flavors-of-the-year shitting out half-hearted Christmas records, because that's all these flash in the pan country assholes have done in the last 20 years.

I figure my Spotify playlist for Christmas eve will be those two songs mentioned above, the instrumental "Christmastime Is Here" and "Skating" from the Charlie Brown soundtrack, "Christmas Don't Be Late" and "12 Days of Christmas" by John Denver and the Muppets and Bob & Doug's version and I'm golden. Whoops, forgot "Christmas in Hollis." Nuke that Brad Paisley tripe.

• 2 weeks later...