DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLE KINGDOM 10 in TOKYO DOME

Raziel

I just got done watching this and feel the need to gush.

Stro, you're sleeping on Omega-Kushida. That was a fantastic, fantastic match. It was sneaky good. My expectations were lowish - I think of Omega as kind of a comedy stooge, but this was just a great match. Kinda snuck up on me - a few minutes in, I thought to myself "holy shit, this really is good."

Yoshitatsu's problem was that they were asking him "analytical" questions and he doesn't have the English to back it up. I thought he came off really sympathetically. His role probably should've been "what's he saying there?" when someone's saying something to someone else, just basically loose translations, that's it.

I'm not on the Striker is awesome bandwagon, but he was MUCH better than his dismal performance from last year. He still tries way too hard, but at least he didn't try as hard. Baby steps. He overthinks things sometimes, and was still trying to "explain" the product to first-time watchers, as if there were any of those tuning in on New Japan World. I understand him doing it last year during the PPV, though he did it poorly, but I think anyone watching on a webstream like that knows the basics of professional wrestling.

He is enthusiastic, though, gotta give him that. He really seems to like the product. I know that isn't enough to save him from being bad, but he's closer than everyone thinks. If he talked maybe literally half as much, he'd be much better.

What I wanna know is why the fuck can't NJPW subtitle the video packages? The video package for Tanahashi-Okada was aces, visually - you know it wasn't thrown together the afternoon of the show. .So how hard would it be to find someone who could do even a loose translation into English of what was said? It's just some soundbites here and there. That would help SO much, to fill people who don't know every bit of nuance of the backstory in on what's going on.

This is gonna sound odd. I'm worried it's my inner GIGANTIC Ishii mark clouding my judgment, but did anyone else notice that he didn't really get a whole, whole lot of offense in during his match? I kept waiting for some sort of long flurry of comeback and it never came. It was pretty much the most decisive loss I've seen Ishii take. It was a good match, but it seemed like it was "Ishii gets beat on, flurries here and there, but not much, gets pinned." The finish was more "that's it?" than "holy shit."

Another little thing: Styles-Nakamura was great, but you can see the moment where the "switch flipped," where the match went from 0 to 50 immediately. There was no real build to the sprint to the finish, and it kind of made it feel disjointed. It was "OK, we've hit this time mark, time to turn on the jets." Those minutes after the jets got turned on were spectacular, though. Fantastic match, but not as good as Nakamura-Ibushi (last year's match of the year).

But oh my God, Tanahashi-Okada was everything Styles-Nakamura wasn't. I'm DYING to see the the match that beats this for match of the year. It kept logically building and building and building like a tea kettle warming up, and then BOOM, here came the whistle. The minutes leading up to the finish were spectacular. This was easily in the top 3 matches I've freakin' ever seen, and it's killing me now wondering how much I would've enjoyed Tanahashi-Okada last year had I not just gotten done getting freaking blown away by Nakamura-Ibushi.

I'm so freakin' geeked at the prospect of Nakamura in WWE - kinda like when a band is so good, you want to see them succeed on the big stage so you can say "I was a fan of theirs before they made it big" - and I'm glad for Styles, but what in the hell does anyone see in Anderson and Gallows? They're gonna flop just like Tensai did. They're big, charisma-less meat wagons, just like Tensai. Anderson can go, but has the personality of a 2x4, and Gallows is just a lost cause. Why didn't they sign Bad Luck Fale while they were at it?

Wonder if they cared about Ishii at all? I know I'd freakin' WALK to Wrestlemania if I had to just to see Ishii-Lesnar. But I'm a bit of a Stone Pitbull mark.

• Like 1

Stro, you're sleeping on Omega-Kushida. That was a fantastic, fantastic match. It was sneaky good. My expectations were lowish - I think of Omega as kind of a comedy stooge, but this was just a great match. Kinda snuck up on me - a few minutes in, I thought to myself "holy shit, this really is good."

I didn't think it was BAD or anything. It was fine. The best thing of the show up to that point for sure. I'm just not sold on KUSHIDA as the face of the division, nor have I ever been sold on Omega since his weird comedy stuff clashes with...everything.  It was a decent little juniors match. It got much better once OG Kush started the arm work and Kenny couldn't do so much comedy/Bullet Club shit.

The only good thing out of the english commentary was that I now know, why Naito did that weird eye opening gesture in his entrance.

Well? Fill us in! My kids and I have been making fun of it forever but have never known what it is.

It's from his days when he wrestled in Mexico, because some audiences/other wrestlers made fun of his eyes/asian look.

So he openes his eye to fit in/look like a "normal" person.

Which makes total sense and I now look at it in a whole other way. I always wondered what it means.

Old news for everyone, but I really didn't know that.

It's from his days when he wrestled in Mexico, because some audiences/other wrestlers made fun of his eyes/asian look.

Which makes total sense and I now look at it in a whole other way. I always wondered what it means.

Wow...sort of heavy and sad/made his own.

Wow...sort of heavy and sad/made his own.

I've heard this from wrestlers, who wrestled in Japan on Shoot Interviews before.

It's a racist gesture some Japanese people do towards gaijin/westerners.

I didn't think it was BAD or anything. It was fine. The best thing of the show up to that point for sure. I'm just not sold on KUSHIDA as the face of the division, nor have I ever been sold on Omega since his weird comedy stuff clashes with...everything.  It was a decent little juniors match. It got much better once OG Kush started the arm work and Kenny couldn't do so much comedy/Bullet Club shit.

I think I'd give Omega-Kushida the edge over Goto-Naito because I was more pleasantly surprised by Omega-Kushida, if that makes any sense at all. I knew Omega was a certain level of good, but I thought his persona would put a ceiling on his work. Instead, he kicked up the work a notch to complement the persona. Not that Goto-Naito was bad, either. Hell, I even liked Makabi and Honma vs. Gallows and Anderson simply because the right team won and they didn't try to swerve away from the obvious ending.

Maybe it's because I was generally unimpressed with the three matches before Omega-Kushida. It's like when a concert starts off slow, then the band gets to a big number and you say "here we go." The four-way tag was fine, but it's just people doing moves. I mean, those juniors tags are always people doing moves, but sometimes it packs a little more emotional heft, like the Bucks-ReDragon in a straight tag where there's a bit more opportunity to tell a story.

And it blew my mind to see that the WWE may be interested in Rocky Romero (as a player/coach in NXT, I could see, but he's just so damn bland otherwise) and Fale and Tonga. I think there's an upside to Tonga, if played correctly, but Fale's just every big, bland dude ever. Someone should start a rumor that WWE wants to poach the Captain and bring him over as Captain WWE.

I'm not really sure who would be a better play-by-play guy at this point (let's assume they can't get Jim Ross). Imagine THE HOG~! as the play-by-play guy. The world would explode from the gloriousness. Imagine the Hog and Don West calling an Ishii match.

But barring that, who would be better than Kevin Kelly and be available? Kelly's not really all that good, but he may be their best available option. I wish they'd spend more time on the background of the matches, though - neither guy said anything about the Tanahashi-Okada pull-apart until during the match, IIRC. That was a key part of the longstanding feud.

I can understand the Striker hate, but like I said, he improved from last year. It's not saying much, but I still think he deserves credit. Maybe he'll get the hang of it by Wrestle Kingdom 16 or so.

Striker is at his best as a pure play-by-play commentator. I think he's mostly great in Lucha Underground and he and Vampiro have fantastic chemistry. There are, of course, moments where he slips into over-the-top, corny, and trying way too hard Matt Striker but it's not the end of the world. I'd try to get Striker to stick to what he does in LU and have him work with somebody well versed with New Japan and the language (Kenny Omega if he weren't working, basically... There's got to be somebody that speaks fluent Japanese and English in wrestling that follows New Japan). 

Omega is so good and I think he'll really flourish as the leader of the Bullet Club against the big boys. He's one of the best athletes in pro-wrestling, has goofy/unique charisma, can talk well enough (though this is definitely an area for further growth), and can really go in the ring. Sure, he could use more psychology but he sells well and feeds the babyfaces very well. His matches with Kushida and Mascara Dorada last year were fucking great imo, as was Kushida's match with Kyle O'Reilly in the BOSJ final. They're both good, borderline great wrestlers at this point and I loved their WK10 match. A very fitting end to their feud, plus it had Taguchi playing Doc Brown complete with lost, far-away look in his eyes!

While losing either the best or second best wrestler on the planet sucks for New Japan, it kind of forces guys like Naito, Shibata, and Ibushi (when he returns) up the card, which is great. I'd add Honma in there but he's in a good position temporarily in the tag division. Not sold on Goto but he'll definitely get a bigger chance now to prove he deserves his place as the #3 native on the roster.

Tama Tonga I could see doing well in WWE. He's got a fantastic look, he's a freak athlete, and I mark out for his sliding around the ring that he does so smoothly and effortlessly. If he can learn to put together a compelling match, I think he could be aces. 

Completely agree with your assessment of the top two matches, Jstout. Too much meandering in the Styles/Nakamura match before they went into the finishing stretch, which is a hallmark of Japanese wrestling's dark side (along with strike exchanges that set-up the finishing stretch of matches - it's like hitting a reset button on the match and often nullifies everything we've been watching up to that point when done poorly). The gradual increase in violence for the main event was executed so much better in contrast. Plus it built on the matches those two had over the years. About as good as those two will get and I'm still thinking it's Tanahashi's best performance to date. Crazy to think I thought that guy was just about done after watching him work through so much pain in the 2014 G1 Climax and hearing horror stories about him not even being able to sit down without pain. He's not without his warts but he's so fucking good when he's on.
  • Like 2

People who only listen to the English commentary miss out on over-enthusiastic Liger (people on Japanese twitter were telling him to be quiet).

I think it's conditioning but the first ten minutes of Okada/Tanahashi was when I started doing things on my phone. You know nothing majorly exciting is going to happen during that time.

Oh and apparently Rocky Romero signed a two year contract with NJPW.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Omega hasn't gotten a WWE offer.  No offense to the likes of AJ Styles and Nakamura, but he just seems to have a lot more potential/upside for joining the roster at this point.

AJ Styles is almost 40 and his style is starting to take its toll on him.  His body is already starting to say "no bueno."  

Then again, Omega might prefer the freedom he gets working Japan and the indies.  Not sure what his pay is like now, but he's probably doing OK since becoming a top player in NJPW.

The only match I've watched so far is Ishii/Shibata, and regarding the commentary, I didn't even realize that was Kelly and only knew one of them was Striker because I read it on here. Both guys are fine apart, but Yoshi seemed stuck and together they're too similar with no one to bounce anything off of. Hell, Dean watched the match and thought it was just one guy talking along with Yoshi! When I think about it, I wonder what the Striker/Vampiro team would have sounded like (bro).

I've only seen AJ/Nakamura and I thought it was fantastic. My first thought was about ****1/2. Nak is just on another level with his off the charts charisma, great looking offense, and terrific selling. His sell of the Styles clash like it fucking caved his head in was great. I don't see how he doesn't get over and become a star.

Dave gave Okada vs. Tanahashi *****, Nakamura vs. Styles ****3/4 and Shibata vs. Ishii ****1/2. Thoughts? In full agreement with ***** for the main event.

He also gave Omega vs. Kushida ****, so four four-star matches on one show. And he's right. I'd say Nakamura vs. Styles is 4 1/2, for the reasons I listed earlier in the thread.

I'm still trying to make my mind up whether Tanahashi-Okada is the best match I've ever seen (keep in mind I was never a huge puro fan or tape trader or general superfan like some of you guys - there's a ton of classic wrestling I've never seen), but I know without a doubt it's top three. Definitely a five-star match. I love the fact that it's gonna take just an all-time whopper of a match to take Match of the Year away from a match that happened on January 4.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dave gave Okada vs. Tanahashi *****, Nakamura vs. Styles ****3/4 and Shibata vs. Ishii ****1/2. Thoughts? In full agreement with ***** for the main event.

He also gave Omega vs. Kushida ****, so four four-star matches on one show. And he's right. I'd say Nakamura vs. Styles is 4 1/2, for the reasons I listed earlier in the thread.

I'm still trying to make my mind up whether Tanahashi-Okada is the best match I've ever seen (keep in mind I was never a huge puro fan or tape trader or general superfan like some of you guys - there's a ton of classic wrestling I've never seen), but I know without a doubt it's top three. Definitely a five-star match. I love the fact that it's gonna take just an all-time whopper of a match to take Match of the Year away from a match that happened on January 4.

Tanahashi vs. Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 10 is one of the best matches I've ever seen. We're in January but it's going to take something special to topple that match for Match of the Year and Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit as MMA Fight of the Year. What a January.

• 2 weeks later...

People who only listen to the English commentary miss out on over-enthusiastic Liger (people on Japanese twitter were telling him to be quiet).

Over-enthusiatic Liger is awesome.  I think it was during one of the Takahashi matches he was going all Attitude era Lawler commmentary with Yujiro's chick at ringside.