DVDVR Message Board

[SPOILERS] NXT 12/16/15 London Taping (For Air on 12/23)

RIPPA

)

The big thing is you'd have to do it like Japan and keep the cruisers away from the heavies.   

You realize that the current IWGP Heavyweight, Intercontinental, and 3rd teir champ are billed at 236, 229, and 220 respectively, and the current GHC Heavyweight champ is 200, right?

Akayama is actually the heaviest current top Champ in Japan at 240.

The weight limit for Juniors floats somewhere between 220 and 235. 

If guys are too small- they either won't get a main event run, or will break down quickly getting beat up by hosses.

I often wonder if Bryan had been ace of the cruisers in a modern WWE if he would still be around today.

If you need to promote a guy, you can just have him challenge someone to get respect or "bulk up" to heavy if they're close like Rollins.

BTW Rollins would be a cruiser under WCW standards, but he's billed at 217 in WWE (think WWE limit was 215, I'd put it at 200 now like boxing)

The big thing is you'd have to do it like Japan and keep the cruisers away from the heavies.   At worst it can fill up one of the three hours of RAW with more meaningful and faster-paced filler. 

Other way around. WCW limit was 215. WWE was 225. Rollins was billed at 205 for a long time in WWE. Cruisers in the US is just pointless at this point. It would make more sense to make a heavyweight division not unlike the BJW HOSS Division.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

The WWF Light Heavyweight title was 215 when it was re-started in 1997, then it was changed to 220. The WWE Cruiserweight title was 225, same as the WCW Cruiserweight title. The WCW Light Heavyweight title's weight limit, IIRC, was 235.

The Cruiserweight division was one of the best parts about latter day WCW but there's not much point for it in this day and age.  If the whole point of the division is for smaller guys who aren't going to make it to the main event, the IC and US titles are right there as far as undercard championships go and there's no reason anyone can't realistically vie for those.  Not to mention in the past decade we've had Benoit, Eddy, Rey, Bryan, Jericho, and others as world champs.  People gave Punk shit about allegedly not being big enough to be in the world title picture even though he was equal to if not larger than Shawn (especially post-comeback Shawn) in size.

Pro wrestling "lighter" weight classes are ridiculous because all their limits are well into heavyweight territory in any professional combat sport. Weight classes in  pro wrestling are also ridiculous because no one's trying to hurt their opponent and you make your own results. If you book small guys strong, people will buy it. There's no reason to segregate guys by weight when the only criteria for featuring a guy is whether or not people like watching them.

WWE's problem specifically with weight classes was that they always made the lighter guys work the same style as the heavier guys so they had no way to stand out. Combine that with never rotating which weight class gets the main event on big shows like UFC does, and over time fans can't help but associate lighter with less important.

Other way around. WCW limit was 215. WWE was 225. Rollins was billed at 205 for a long time in WWE. Cruisers in the US is just pointless at this point. It would make more sense to make a heavyweight division not unlike the BJW HOSS Division.

Throw in how people, like here, now love the hosses because the change to lower weights has made heavyweights the more exotic weight class (and thus, there's far, far fewer truly shitty hosses running around than ever before)- and you could probably switch it so the heavyweights become the next Cruiserweight division.

Well, I think the physical difference between top guy HBK and top guy CM Punk is pretty obvious. HBK was jacked. Punk was, at his very best period of being in shape, kind of semi-athleticish looking.

Do we still confuse "cut" with "in shape"? Cuz they aren't remotely the same thing.

I often wonder if Bryan had been ace of the cruisers in a modern WWE if he would still be around today.

How on earth would working a faster-paced cruiser style have protected him? Nonsense.

Again, I don't see the need to throw another glass ceiling over talent by bringing back the Cruiserweight title.

Well, I think the physical difference between top guy HBK and top guy CM Punk is pretty obvious. HBK was jacked. Punk was, at his very best period of being in shape, kind of semi-athleticish looking.

Do we still confuse "cut" with "in shape"? Cuz they aren't remotely the same thing.

Are we confusing a dude with muscle tone and density with a guy with love handles and lack of muscle tone? It's silly to not acknowledge the very large difference in physical appearance of top guy HBK and top guy Punk. Or even compare Bret in his prime to Punk in his prime. Punk's appearance was not that of a muscled athlete in WWE, which is why comparisons to his size and HBK's size at the same stage of their careers is dumb.

A Cruiserweight belt would be fantastic for NXT. It'll be a great transitional division and help the smaller guys build up some momentum so it'll sell better to the crowd when they go up against the bigger guys.

It's even more pointless for NXT. Almost everyone on NXT is a cruiserweight. Everyone but Joe, Corbin, and Cass, basically. 

There are some guys who could use a cruiser division, but it would be silly to stick guys like Balor and Zayn in it when they could be valuable upper card faces. The mold was broken a long time ago. The fans accepted Bryan(all 5'8 180 lbs of him) as a top guy, and Rollins just had a long world title reign working a bunch of cruiser style spot fests that were accepted as main event caliber matches.

I don't see the point and I'd rather they bring back the tv title for guys like Neville who aren't going to be placed in main event feuds. TNA actually had the right idea with the X division where it was more based on the style than the weight class.

I do like how, in one thread, we're bemoaning the uselessness of the US and IC titles, and in another, we're clamoring for a fourth main roster singles title to be added.

Right now, you've got the undisputed title, the IC title, and the US title; then there's the MitB briefcase, the King of the Ring crown, the Royal Rumble guaranteed WM spot. The last thing the company needs is another title/honor.

I think most people want another title because it would give the undercard direction when really competent writing would be good enough.

Also, the only time NXT should have a secondary title is if they repeat the Taz/Sabu FTW Title story. Corbin walking around with his own "real" belt would really put him over the top.

Edit: Oh! He could refuse to defend it against flippy, internet guys. Instant heat!

If you want another midcard title I vote for the Hardcore Title, complete with 24/7 rule.

Imagine surfing the Network when you get a "live now" alert and Baron Corbin is beating the crap out of Bubba Dudley at Orlando airport for the Hardcore title?

Then in the background on Breaking Ground you see Scott Hall pinning Corbin for the belt.

It would tie in perfectly with the Network and a rise in comedy/alternative spots and matches as well as "Extreme Rules".

If you're going to bring a title with 24/7 rules into play for the WWE Network, just do the easier thing and actually canonize the Internet Championship. It's already seen as a belt people know about, it'd fit well for the Network's primary belt, and since Zack Ryder does double-duty on NXT and the main roster, it's the best way to get it defended against everyone.

• Like 1

I think most people want another title because it would give the undercard direction when really competent writing would be good enough.

Also, the only time NXT should have a secondary title is if they repeat the Taz/Sabu FTW Title story. Corbin walking around with his own "real" belt would really put him over the top.

Edit: Oh! He could refuse to defend it against flippy, internet guys. Instant heat!

That makes me want to see a fed come out with an FIG (Flippy Internet Guys) title.

• Like 1