DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Reactions - SPOILERS HERE ONLY

goodhelmet

I saw it today.  You guys are on page 18 so nothing I say is going to illuminate anything.  Of course, I like to hear myself talk and think out my thoughts so here I am typing away.  I am going to guess we've passed the dissection of the plot phase and maybe we're in the  "why it wasn't that good" phase so I'm not going to go too deep into the plot right now.  I'm still on a high.

For me, the best thing about this movie are the new trio leads.  Hands down.  That component alone made this so much more enjoyable for me than the prequels.  I understand the prequels were a darker story and blah, blah, blah, but John and Daisy were such a breathe of fresh air.  As soon as they excitedly expressed awe and joy over defeating a couple of First Order fighter ships, I was all in.  Yeah, I'm easy but even some of you cynical bastards have to at least like one of them now.  Po(Oscar) didn't get much, but I like the developing bro relationship between him and Finn.  He'll probably get more to do in the next one. 

I know you don't need likable leads to make a good movie but it should be a requirement for this franchise.  I think they hit a homerun with John and Daisy as Finn and Rey.  I hope they keep it up; please no awkward dialogue. 

Harrison Ford was obviously fun too.  I get why they decided to do it, but I did want them to keep him around long enough to get one more scene between Han and Luke.  Just one.  Oh well.

As for the plot...okay, I'll definitely say the map objective wasn't exactly the most thrilling or creative plot device in the world.  Plus, I'm sure there are some hardcore fans not thrilled with Rey winning the Rylo fight. I thought it was cool, but I rarely get bent out of shape about these type of issues; "her dragonball z power level isn't at his experience level so it doesn't make sense for her to out duel him".  Okay, I'm just being a jerk now.

I need more time to process the movie, but my main issue was that the First Order didn't strike too much fear or malice in my heart as the main villains.  If history tells us anything, the second one should correct this concern.

I can't wait for the next one.

Edited by _MJ_
  • Like 1

I saw it today. You guys are on page 18 so nothing I say is going to illuminate anything. Of course, I like to hear myself talk and think out my thoughts so here I am typing away. I am going to guess we've passed the dissection of the plot phase and maybe we're in the "why it wasn't that good" phase so I'm not going to go too deep into the plot right now. I'm still on a high.

For me, the best thing about this movie are the new trio leads. Hands down. That component alone made this so much more enjoyable for me than the prequels. I understand the prequels were a darker story and blah, blah, blah, but John and Daisy were such a breathe of fresh air. As soon as they excitedly expressed awe and joy over defeating a couple of First Order fighter ships, I was all in. Yeah, I'm easy but even some of you cynical bastards have to at least like one of them now. Po(Oscar) didn't get much, but I like the developing bro relationship between him and Finn. He'll probably get more to do in the next one.

I know you don't need likable leads to make a good movie but it should be a requirement for this franchise. I think they hit a homerun with John and Daisy as Finn and Rey. I hope they keep it up; please no awkward dialogue.

Harrison Ford was obviously fun too. I get why they decided to do it, but I did want them to keep him around long enough to get one more scene between Han and Luke. Just one. Oh well.

As for the plot...okay, I'll definitely say the map objective wasn't exactly the most thrilling or creative plot device in the world. Plus, I'm sure there are some hardcore fans not thrilled with Rey winning the Rylo fight. I thought it was cool, but I rarely get bent out of shape about these type of issues; "her dragonball z power level isn't at his experience level so it doesn't make sense for her to out duel him". Okay, I'm just being a jerk now.

I need more time to process the movie, but my main issue was that the First Order didn't strike too much fear or malice in my heart as the main villains. If history tells us anything, the second one should correct this concern.

I can't wait for the next one.

I felt like I didn't know enough about the New Order and their objective, but it's also fine to simply establish them as Bad People and save the Bond Villain exposition for E8. I said to my wife after the movie all the NR rally (Obvious symbolism was obvious BTW) needed was a bunch of MAKE THE GALAXY GREAT AGAIN hats.

Plus bogging too deep into process stories is the thing that killed the prequels most. So I get why they went the other way. When Disney gets its investment back we'll get insight on process.

On the whole, all the nitpicking doesn't diminish the fact it hit a lot of the high notes it needed to and allowed me to nerd out about a dozen times. If a movie can make you do that ONCE, it's the price of admission right there. Imagine how a dozen made me feel. In spite of the JJisms it was entertaining as hell.

• Like 1

The honeymoon period for The Force Awakens is officially over for the ISWC!

ISWC?

rec.sports.pro-dejarik

You answered one question that results in another question.

Internet Star Wars Community. It's a joke about Internet fans (and wrestling fans particularly) loving something and then rabidly turning on it, I think.

My dad has always looked like Han Solo in a way, to me.

He and I went to this movie with my 7yo daughter.

After we parted ways, I asked my kid - who hasn't seen anything "Star wars" - what she thought.

"It was like watching grandaddy die. We should have watched 'Road Chip.'"

• Like 3

Having now seen the movie twice, I think I would've preferred it more had it ended about 2 minutes earlier before they found Luke. Just cut that whole last part out completely. End it with Ray and Chewie flying off in the Falcon on their search for him, which would call back to the end of Empire when Lando and Chewie flew off in the Falcon on their search for Han. There would've probably been a lot of backlash from some people with Luke not showing up in the movie at all, but I honestly think that last bit was really tacked on and didn't add anything at all to the movie as a whole.

One neat little thing I saw was when Finn was looting around in the Falcon one of the things he picked up was the training ball Luke was using in A New Hope when Obi Wan was first trying to teach him of The Force.

The movie was a lot more humorous than I was expecting for some reason.  In a good way though.  I'm sure not everyone enjoyed the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" almost meta moments, but I got a kick out of most of them.  The Stormtroopers walking the other way after hearing Rylo's tantrum with the "Nah!" backpedaled move was a nice touch.

I enjoy the idea of a Stormtrooper turncoat.  Also, Finn being kidnapped from his family and turn into a child soldier was a nod to the modern world.  It wasn't deep but it was more than I expected from this type of blockbuster film.

Not sure how I feel about the Rylo Ken character yet.  Rylo being a Darth Vader fanboy could have interesting, potential meta commentary.

I saw it on Saturday. I thought it was pretty good. A little slow and dragging in points, but most JJ Abrams movies tend to be like that.

I absolutely loved the character of Rey. The mystery of her origin should be nice as it's told over the next couple of movies. I suspect she's related to Obi Wan more so than Luke. It would be too easy to make her Luke's daughter or even Kylo's twin. Speaking of Kylo. God, what a little whiny little prick. I mean you could have some empathy for Vader. But I have none for this guy. I enjoy Rey almost getting him though at the end of the movie. Stupid planet having to fall apart.

Yeah that Starkiller was something else. That scene was amazing with the ray coming down on the republic was so jaw dropping. Not much gets me to go DAMN in a movie these days, but that did it. The General who ordered the weapon to fire. I can believe he's related to Vader. But, I would imagine the First Order has to have more than one of them in the galaxy.

I did find it funny that The Rebels still have the same old stuff and still managed to take out the bad guy's with it.

Haven't looked at the whole topic yet, but I finally saw the film yesterday. I thought it was pretty good. Finn, Dameron, & Ren were probably my favorites. I especially need to see Dameron and Finn have more team ups in the coming films. I actually loved that Ren was such a whiny bitch. It makes him so different from Vader. And as someone who basically worships Vader and is trying his damnedest to be him, I love just how much he fails at doing so. I dug Rey a lot though I think she was a bit overpowered for just the first film. I'm sad to see Han go but am ok with it. Still, I sort of wish they waited to do that in maybe the second film. I'm interested in learning more about Snoke, especially with what I assume was a Wizard of Oz trick he was pulling in this one. Starkiller base was frightening though I could have done w/o what was essentially a third even bigger Death Star. Similar could have done w/o seeing the Republic die again. Anyways I loved the film overall and can't wait to see what they do next.

That's the one drawback to this movie. Everyone really wants to see what's going to happen next, but the next Star Wars movie is instead going to show us whether or not the rebels could successfully steal the Death Star plans 40 years ago. Spoiler alert: They could.