DVDVR Message Board

Best of Half-Decade: Pimping, Shilling and Bribing Thread

Chaos

I have received 6 ballots thus far and mine will bump it up to 7. I'll give it a couple more days to hopefully receive a few more, so I can also scour and reach out to some who maybe showed some interest.

Here is who I currently have. If you sent yours and I missed it, let me know:

Bald Henry
S.K.O.S
Jingus
The Natural
Hobo Joe
New Blood

• 2 weeks later...

Dredd and A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night are definitely going to make my list. 

Too bad that the delays to the release of Ex Machina put it out of the voting period, otherwise it would probably be my Number One.

I take it by your posts that I am the only man in North America that went to see The Equalizer.

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 7:44 AM, Chaos said:

Leo might stare at us indignantly until we rank all of his films at the top of the list.

Hidden Content

We will just have to wait and see, Leo. We will just have to wait and see!

This thread can probably more appropriately be called "films I am embarrassed that I have yet to see."

My dad will watch The Equalizer every single time it is.  Sometimes within two days of the previous showing.  It would have had a chance at my Top 100 had we gone that far.

That will work for me. I can maybe at least get a few of the films posted to start middle of next week if merging and tallying everything up proves to be simple.

I still have to work on the format for the films that involves "a little extra" outside of the standard: Film Poster, Ranking, High Votes, Total Points, RT Rating, Metacritic Score, "excerpt of critical review."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another quick update:

I placed the first third or so of ballots into excel last night, which was basically a combination of "finding and replacing" fonts and then utilizing the "text to columns feature" to at least get it into some sort of formula.

I then will have to run through and make sure the naming for all of the films is consistent so I can throw everything into a pivot table to tabulate scoring. If the scoring shakes out into something clean, I will organize all of the films and add directors and years to my spreadsheet.

I currently have everything weighted on a downgraded scoring of 2 (100, 98, 96, etc.). I may decide to reweigh the back 25-30 a little bit lighter once I look at it.

If I stay in town this weekend and don't go to a concert on Saturday, you may see me start posting films and the early part of this list by early this weekend.

• Like 6

I have messaged 3 of you in regards to your ballots. After that, I have to find a scoring formula that I'm happy with. My default formula yielded a film I would not have guessed would have been this group's #1. 

This weekend, I hope to post the films that didn't quite make the cut, and then start posting at least the first 10 or so that did make the cut. Then trickle down to #1 over the next week or two.

• Like 5