DVDVR Message Board

2013 NFL Preseason

Dolfan in NYC

1-10 in the Superbowl era doesn't even begin to cover my misery. 

It's one playoff win since winning the 1957 NFL title.

My parents were born after that happened - so I can't even ask them what it was like.

/1960

So you think Jay Cutler is going to do something this year that will make him unaffordable? Exciting.

Yes I imagine he will continue to be a bottom 5 NFL QB, which will put him outside the price range of the Bears.

I would like to see your ranking of NFL starting QBs.

Ryan Swope has retired already as he suffered a concussion in Cards OTAs and his doctor's recommended he not play football again "at least for now"

He had at least two concussions at Texas A&M

I read a pretty detailed article recently, it may have even been on this board, about the comparison between Jay Cutler and Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Since Fitzpatrick has been an NFL starting QB their numbers are basically identical.  Yep, Jay Cutler sucks. 

49ers cornerback Tarell Brown lost an opportunity to make an additional $2 million because he failed to complete the 2013 offseason workout clause in his contract, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

Brown, who spent a majority of his offseason in Texas working on increasing his speed, will watch his salary fall from $2.925 million to $925,000. Maybe Texas will be willing to pick up the tab, but we doubt it. Since then, Brown decided to part ways with his agent, Brian Overstreet, who did not respond to messages left by the Sacramento Bee seeking comment.

“I no longer have an agent as of now,” Brown told the Sacramento Bee.” … No one wants to leave money on the table. If I would have known the clauses in my contract and that’s what agents get paid to do — to orchestrate the contract and let you know what you can and can’t do as far as workouts and OTAs and things of that sort. That’s what he got paid to do, he didn’t do that, so in my opinion he had to be let go.”

49ers cornerback Tarell Brown lost an opportunity to make an additional $2 million because he failed to complete the 2013 offseason workout clause in his contract, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

Brown, who spent a majority of his offseason in Texas working on increasing his speed, will watch his salary fall from $2.925 million to $925,000. Maybe Texas will be willing to pick up the tab, but we doubt it. Since then, Brown decided to part ways with his agent, Brian Overstreet, who did not respond to messages left by the Sacramento Bee seeking comment.

“I no longer have an agent as of now,” Brown told the Sacramento Bee.” … No one wants to leave money on the table. If I would have known the clauses in my contract and that’s what agents get paid to do — to orchestrate the contract and let you know what you can and can’t do as far as workouts and OTAs and things of that sort. That’s what he got paid to do, he didn’t do that, so in my opinion he had to be let go.”

What more did Brown want the agent to do?  Drive him to OTAs?  The man got you a sweet bonus and at $2 million, best believe most of us wouldn't have to be reminded of that.  I know he fired the agent, but he's going to have take that bullet himself.  What a maroon.

Working on Furlough Friday when your furlough day is on Monday fucking blows goats. 

All of the Skins fans here at work are over at the traning camp in Richmond sending me pics through Instagram while I am working on this fucking blade server at Ft. Lee.

What more did Brown want the agent to do?  Drive him to OTAs?  The man got you a sweet bonus and at $2 million, best believe most of us wouldn't have to be reminded of that.  I know he fired the agent, but he's going to have take that bullet himself.  What a maroon.

It sounds like there was a separate $75,000 workout bonus while the $2 million escalator clause was triggered by his performance last season, so it is believable to me that Brown's agent failed to explain that the escalator clause also had a workout requirement and that Brown had no reason to suspect there was one. 

Contracts are ridiculously long.  The section on his escalator clause is probably multiple pages.  Anyone who says he should have read his contract is wrong.  You hire an agent, whose job include distilling the legalese into something his client can understand.  There's a legitimate possibility that Brown's agent failed to communicate the basics of his contract in a way that would open him up to a slam-dunk legal malpractice lawsuit.

I can see a scenario where Brown asks his agent what the penalty is for working out at home in Texas instead of going out to California and being told he will forfeit a workout bonus of $75K with no mention of the escalator clause and Brown thinking that he can afford to skip that now that he has an extra $2 million.

Oh man, Heath Evans covering Pats' camp for NFLN is the worst thing ever.

Evans is exploding with joy at putting The Hoody over for "practicing in elements that most teams would hide in a dome from". Yes, Billy B is A MAN for taking his team outside in a late-July light drizzle.

Contracts are ridiculously long.  The section on his escalator clause is probably multiple pages.  Anyone who says he should have read his contract is wrong.  You hire an agent, whose job include distilling the legalese into something his client can understand.  There's a legitimate possibility that Brown's agent failed to communicate the basics of his contract in a way that would open him up to a slam-dunk legal malpractice lawsuit.

I can see a scenario where Brown asks his agent what the penalty is for working out at home in Texas instead of going out to California and being told he will forfeit a workout bonus of $75K with no mention of the escalator clause and Brown thinking that he can afford to skip that now that he has an extra $2 million.

Remember it was similar things that lead to Lavar Arrington having his massive fall out with the Redskins

The Skins and Arrington had agreed to his extension which included a $6.5 million bonus. After he signed the contract, Arrington discovered the Skins didn't include the bonus in the contract. His agent admitted to not reading the final contract.

Look, in the NFL, testing has been a joke, penalities are relatively small, and a guy like Peterson is absurdly valuable to his team.  He's being professionally negilient if he's not on something.