DVDVR Message Board

2013 NFL Preseason

Dolfan in NYC

Has anyone here actually gone to a training camp practice?

Because I'm thinking about going to Bourbonnais and camping at Kankakee river and taking the boy to watch Da Bears.

Has anyone here actually gone to a training camp practice?Because I'm thinking about going to Bourbonnais and camping at Kankakee river and taking the boy to watch Da Bears.

Poor, sweet baby Jae exposed to the degenerate Bears led by the waterbrain Jay Cutler and the wifebeating Brandon Marshall.

If it makes it any better, I've been playing football with him at the park and He can throw a nice spiral. I'm hoping to take him there and get a starting gig. Has no known concussion problems and understands the concept of not throwing to people in non-Bears Jerseys. He also won't take up a lot of cap space as he'll gladly work for Legos and Marvel Action figures.

• Like 2

Because I'm thinking about going to Bourbonnais and camping at Kankakee river and taking the boy to watch Da Bears.

I worked for the Packers a couple of summers ago. Those tackling dummies and heavy-ass things the linemen practice on don't move themselves.

Essentially, every position had a spot on the field and did their individual drills. I worked with the D-Line and the Kicking unit. So after I lugged out all of the heavy stuff for the Line; I would catch punts/kicks, hold for kick-offs and work the Juggs machine so their punter could practice catching snaps/placing the ball down for a Field Goal attempt.

Your son will probably enjoy watching the QB drills (if they set up a target net, which all of the QB's will likely take turns throwing into from 30-40+ yards out).

After individual drills, the Offense and Defense gets together to run through game situations. It's basically just running plays at 80% speed, with very little contact (other than the DB's and WR's bumping off the line).

After that, they would get back together with their position coach for extra work, etc. and that'd be it.

The NFL is extremely strict about players being on the field practicing, so the whole thing (start to finish) is maybe 2.5 hours. Once the horn blows all of the players have to be off the field - so it's not very long. Also, after the last lockout, they did away with two-a-days. So you've only got one chance per day to see them.

Autographs are usually done before/after, but it's tough to catch someone (since they're hustling on/off the field so quickly). It also depends entirely on how the Bears practice facility is set up (the Packers ride bikes from the stadium across the street to the practice field - so more chances to get autographs, if you're son is into that).

Have one of the players steal your kid's bike(assuming the kid's that old) for the ride over and you can probably get an autograph from whichever random schlub it is.

Have one of the players steal your kid's bike(assuming the kid's that old) for the ride over and you can probably get an autograph from whichever random schlub it is.

I'm sure it's every child's dream to have the Long Snapper sign their bicycle seat.

I'm getting increasingly annoyed with NFL Media reporting "Player/Coach likes what he's seeing in OTAs and thinks Player/Offense/Defense/Team are going to do great this season" like it's news.

Let me know when someone says "You know, I think we're going to be terrible this season".

One thing is for sure: I'm sick of reading about Ron Jaworski's fucking opinions about every QB and team in the league.  I think Jaws is an idiot who is wrong on so many levels a majority of the time and the fact that every time I go to a football site and it's littered with quotes and blurbs from him is just the highest level of cringe-worthiness.  

• Like 2

If it is anything like the Eagles camps over the last 10 years it is worth the trip. Average attendance was in the 7,500 range. Different players were made available for the people that want autographs. Unfortunately Eagles are moving camp and this year the camp practices open to the public will be at the stadium. Takes away what made the practices interesting. Being close enough to actually hear the coaching. The year TO signed training camp was a huge circus. It is hard to describe precisely just how popular he was in Philly that first year. 1983 Von Erichs comes to mind. Only replace the screaming 13 year old girls with screaming 30 year old men wearing Dawkins jerseys. 

Thank god the board came back before training camps start.  Now we can hear Rippa complain about the stupid DC media covering the Skins.  :)

Indeed. Wouldn't have heard that great press conference with the guy from ESPN asking RG3 about the Tebow signing without this place. Hate how likable that guy is for a Redskin. 

One thing is for sure: I'm sick of reading about Ron Jaworski's fucking opinions about every QB and team in the league.  I think Jaws is an idiot who is wrong on so many levels a majority of the time and the fact that every time I go to a football site and it's littered with quotes and blurbs from him is just the highest level of cringe-worthiness.  

At least he is allowed an opinion. Apparently Donovan McNabb is not since there is an uproar every time he comments about a quarterback. Yet it is fine for Boomer Esiason and was fine for Sean Salisbury. 

I still have the Pats winning the East despite what has happened.

Maybe, but the Bills will be better(to win the div, not sure) and so will the Fins, the jets will suck. . . One more injury to a key player and the Pats are sunk. . .

At least he is allowed an opinion. Apparently Donovan McNabb is not since there is an uproar every time he comments about a quarterback. Yet it is fine for Boomer Esiason and was fine for Sean Salisbury. 

The overall hatred toward McNabb is something I don't understand.  Has he ever been liked since being drafted?  I'm not aware of any such time.  He was an above-average QB, which makes him worlds better than Salisbury if memory serves.  But the mere mention of his name sends folk into a tirade.  Strange.

One of McNabb's relatives (by marriage, McNabb is married to the kid's aunt) was a first round pick for Edmonton in the NHL draft this year so he can move here if he needs to escape the stupidity of the USA and experience a whole different kind of stupidity here instead.

The overall hatred toward McNabb is something I don't understand.  Has he ever been liked since being drafted?  I'm not aware of any such time.  He was an above-average QB, which makes him worlds better than Salisbury if memory serves.  But the mere mention of his name sends folk into a tirade.  Strange.

He definitely doesn't have a large pool of huge fans. I can only think of 2 people on the Eagles group in the last 10-12 years that approached a level of fandom similar to say The Natural/Daniel Bryan here. He just doesn't connect with people the same way. It is odd since he jokes around most of the time and is generally a friendly guy. I think people just don't want the quarterback acting that way and have different expectations. He is actually a lot like Cena now that I think about it. My first instinct is that it is racial that he gets shit on and Tim Hasselbeck can say whatever he wants. Might not be though. Might just have a demeanor that people don't love and they are just sick of him. I'm indifferent and only noticed when I saw the article of him criticizing Stafford was the most commented on article on PFT.

McNabb seems like a nice guy to me.  When he was playing and having success I think a lot of the criticism was basically about him not getting over the hump and winning the Super Bowl or really even getting there as that was the main focus until the one year that they managed to win the NFC Championship game.  There's that and then there's the fact that he threw an extremely ugly ball.  Lots of wobbling, lots of dead ducks, but still the guy completed a ton of passes and had a lot of success so it doesn't have to be pretty.  

He finished his career playing terrible and he still thinks he can play in the NFL.  That's my only knock on him. 

I always thought the downturn of public opinion towards McNabb was when he didn't know the OT rules and that a game could end in a tie...which, honestly, I could sort of see happening since ties were somewhat rare.

I didn't like his tenure in DC, but, hey, trading him netted the draft pick that became Alfred Morris, so it turned out to be a net positive for the Skins.