DVDVR Message Board

[DVDVR CONTENT] ANNOUNCING THE 1001 MATCHES PROJECT

RIPPA

8 hours ago, zev said:

Sekigun Army match seems to be gone already on a copyright claim.

Yeah - I forgot to check the links before posting it (since that was one of the ones I found ages ago) 

New Japan stuff tends to be what vanishes the most.

Though skk DT having his channel nerfed destroyed a lot of my links too

You know how sometimes YouTube will offer recommendations on clips for you to view based on previous viewing history?

2 of the 10 first Recommended for me right now feature Ken The Box.

I blame this thread and the links within entirely.

Fack the #1 placement, the buildup match of Sheiky Baby/Slaughter is the best one. Same amount of gore and violence and suplexes but with the added awesomeness of Slaughter giving the super impassioned nationalist speech afterward calling for the Sheik's head while covered in sweat, blood and tears. It might be the most xenophobic thing in wrestling history but that just makes it the most wrestling thing in wrestling history. 

Also, Onita vs. Matsunaga is a true sleeper match that nobody talks about and is all kinds of dramatic and amazing. And Villano III/Atlantis... well, Pete summed that up. Most of the rest I have to catch up on.

Jeez o' Pete, that part of Raven vs. Kaz Hayashi at No. 96 where Kaz goes for a dive to the floor and misses was like a freakin' Road Runner cartoon come to life. All it needed was Kaz holding up a sign that says "Help!" afterward. 5 trillion stars.

• 5 weeks later...

It is really weird that New Japan and WWF/E were allies in a territory sense for years (even having dual promotion cards) and have no overlap whatsoever now. That also reminds me, this should go on the list for sure, or at least be a footnote.

EDIT: Of course I would post that and look at the date and realize this was the NJ/WCW phase. Someone else can dig up an NJ/WWF crossover to post

EDIT II: Wow, looking at this card again, there doesn't look to be any NJPW/WWF crossover though all three feds are involved. http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=23081

Did WWE have a NJPW working relationship? I know there was the All Japan one in the early 90s, and I'm sure that was partially due to Hogan's relationship with and fondness for Baba.

EDIT: Also, Phil. It's been awhile since I've seen both, but wasn't the weekly PPV 4-sided cage match the better of the two AMW/XXX Cage matches, and I also recall really loving Styles/Abyss from the first Lockdown.

I think the AJPW connection was either a fluke or a complete change in business. Since the '70s at least New York and Inoki always had each other's backs as opposed to the NWA and Baba. Maybe there was a falling out or something, I dunno; besides Inoki is completely out of the picture.

Ah man I completely forgot about Hogan on the '80s NJ set (and Bret, and North-South Connection, etc.). There was even AJ booker Funk stealing Brody away from NJ and Vince Sr. calling him about it, which he related in his book.

• 3 weeks later...

The first time I ever saw Combat/Kudo was on Stranglemania 2 (picked up at a pawn shop for a dollar) and the clowns rewound that last driver/powerbomb/whatever a dozen times while dying with laughter. Not the best way to be exposed to joshi. 

Just to torment you a little more, you missed Aja/KAORU which is criminal. 

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just to torment you a little more, you missed Aja/KAORU which is criminal. 

You do realize I have over 700 more matches to go right?

• 2 weeks later...