DVDVR Message Board

UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor (12/12/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Man, these two should be fighting for another two rounds. One drawback of such a stacked card.

10-8 first? How do you score a pretty close 2nd?

I don't think t was 10-8 imo. There was a lot of good GnP and he hurt Jacare obviously, but I don't it was to the point where Jacare was no way competitive the entire round. If it was a bit more sustained, I would have no problem with it. If Goddard had taken a point for the fence grab, Jacare would have won on my card. I had it 10-9 Romero, 10-10 in the 2nd, and 10-9 Jacare.

I think the lack of 10-8 rounds given is the big flaw with the 10-point must system. When a guy clearly wins a round like Romero in the first and you've got two toss ups after that (not quite in this fight), it's lame the fighter with a clear round can lose a decision. Boxing has 10 or 12 rounds to sort out close fights. More time for separation. That isn't the case in a three round fight.

And do judges even use 10-10 rounds?

I like the Pride/judge the whole fight system in theory but there's even more room for judging error than where we're at now.

I think the lack of 10-8 rounds given is the big flaw with the 10-point must system. When a guy clearly wins a round like Romero in the first and you've got two toss ups after that (not quite in this fight), it's lame the fighter with a clear round can lose a decision. Boxing has 10 or 12 rounds to sort out close fights. More time for separation. That isn't the case in a three round fight.

And do judges even use 10-10 rounds?

I believe there were one or two on the prelims on this very card.