DVDVR Message Board

UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor (12/12/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

It's no wonder McGregor wants to move up with the IV ban.

He seriously looks like a different person. Like he sent his sibling or cousin to weigh-in.

Good God, he's so gaunt! It ain't his cousin, it's Homeless Conor from an alternate universe. All cheeks and jaw. He looked bad at the 189 weigh-in but not quite this bad.

Jose mocked his stance! Huge lolz bringing the head games in at last second.

The least surprising thing. I wonder how the Latino and Muslim fighters feel about that.

Trump did give Zuffa a shot to run in his venues when not a lot of people wanted to. Dana has made that clear on several occasions. UFC 30, the first event they ran, was at Trump Taj Mahal. So Trump is pretty integral in UFC history whether people like it or not.

I've never been so excited for a combat sporting event in my life. That video VileOne posted of Hardy picking apart the techniques of both men was great (and spoke to the BE article). Aldo has more ways of winning and is the easy pick but my heart says McGregor overpowers him in the first two rounds. I can't see Conor doing well late into the fight because of the leg kicks. Shit, I can't see Aldo being in great condition because of Conor's fierce body kicks either. One of the great stylistic, thematic, money matches ever - possibly since Fedor vs. Crocop way back when.

• Like 1

Solid win for Court McGee. Took a bit to get Marcio's timing down, but he was a bit more cleaner with his shots as the fight progressed. Also, got some good ground and pound off before the fight ended.

Going back and forth on the top four fights especially the middleweight championship fight. I picked Weidman, but Rockhold presents something he really hasn't seen before. In addition, he is a fighter who is also in his prime. The improvements that Rockhold has made have been ridiculous. He is a guy I remember from Strikeforce who just decided to fight on autopilot, but could still win somehow. Now, it seems like he is off autopilot and being way more aggressive and fighting smarter. Such a rarity in a legitimate world title fight where both fighters are on the upswing.

Big upset alert: Leo Santos just smashed Kevin Lee.

Lee was way too cocky and fought an awful first round. Leo Santos may be on the wrong side of 30, but he is still a pretty good submission grappler and decent puncher. The latter turned out to be Lee's undoing. Just a putrid showing by Kevin Lee.

Had a feeling Alves would sub Covington. Covington just relies too much on the wrestling. Alves didn't stuff the first TD, but he saw where Covington was leaning towards. Alves had a nice look at a guillotine and took it. Easy work.

Late notice opponent, making her UFC debut... pretty much set up to be a Tecia Torres showcase fight. But JJL made a fight of it at least. Wasn't really winning at any point, but she wasn't playing human punchbag or anything.

Being the casual MMA fan that I am, this was the first time I've seen Tecia Torres fight. She has some nice hands.

She has good boxing and good kicks, but she usually isn't as active as she was in the 3rd round against Lybarger. Hopefully, she can start doing that more.

As we get into the business end of the card, Faber and Saenz put on a damn, fun fight. Saenz is super tough, but I thought Faber outworked him at certain points and had a big start to round 2.

• Like 1

Going from Jon Anik and John Gooden to Mike Goldberg so soon is jarring and a massive downgrade. He just doesn't call the action and has such a rudimentary understanding of the sport despite almost two decades calling fights for the UFC.

Alves was lightning quick on that choke. Mustafaev looked fantastic.

It will be interesting to see how Holloway performs. He was probably the clearest favorite people picked on the main card. Stephens sometimes underperforms and relies too much on his power, but Stephens can brawl if Holloway wants to. That is Stephens' chance to unload a few big ones.