DVDVR Message Board

The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber (12/11/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (The Chelsea at The Cosmopolitan)

Elsalvajeloco

Anytime you're in a prone position like that, nine times out of ten the referee is going to stop it.

It is just Chad popping right back up before Edgar could at least land some ground shots to solidify that he was knocked out. I am used to the ref at least giving the fighter a benefit of a doubt to get back up. But yeah, dude was out. 

Anytime you're in a prone position like that, nine times out of ten the referee is going to stop it.

It is just Chad popping right back up before Edgar could at least land some ground shots to solidify that he was knocked out. I am used to the ref at least giving the fighter a benefit of a doubt to get back up. But yeah, dude was out.
He landed a couple of clean shots to seal the deal. That's when it was stopped. I think it would have been a different story if it was stopped as he went down.

It just so happens that he got woken back up at some point and sprung back to his feet. If the referee stops it when you first go out, it isn't his responsibility to see if you're going to regain consciousness soon after.

I don't think it was a fast stoppage because Mendes was clearly out and he took another shot on the ground when he was out.  In cases like this, IMHO always better to stop the fight.  Opponent might be upset about stoppage, but it's probably better for his long-term health that the referee does not let it continue.

It's simply that he woke up quickly.

If I'm Edgar, I wouldn't 100 percent count on that promised title shot.  Just saying.  Promised title shots have a way of not happening in the UFC sometimes.  Sometimes it's been Edgar's fault too.

If something happens tonight where it is a close, I could see an immediate rematch. However, you still have to options of throwing Conor against Faber at featherweight or a lightweight should he lose a close decision. That would allow Edgar to get a rematch with Aldo. If Aldo loses a close decision, then it becomes very interesting. Aldo has been the man at 145 for several years now. He shouldn't have to work his way up back for a title shot.

I'm with you. Should McGregor win, the only way Aldo doesn't get an immediate rematch is if Conor crushes him convincingly in the first or second round. If I'm Edgar, I'm hoping for a convincing Aldo win.