DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 80: Namajunas vs. VanZant (12/10/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (The Chelsea at The Cosmopolitan)

Elsalvajeloco

Sage with the submission victory then a tebow style interview.

One of the judges scored it 29-27 so they gave Santos a 10-8 round.

I think Tebow would look at Northcutt and think that he is too much.   I know he is only 19 but man I really can't tell if that is legit him or a character.  Hell of a fighter though

• Like 1

This is why TAM wants to hire someone like Brandon Gibson as a their head (striking) coach. A lot of their guys can go forward and deliver power, but what about the fighters in that camp that don't have natural power. Rose kept Paige at bay when she wanted to and got in her face with a jab and straight right hand when she wanted to. When you're in a division where very few of the fighters have natural power, distance is so important. It's easy to disrupt someone's rhythm when you control the distance.

Very enjoyable card all the way through top to bottom. Felt bad for Emily Kagan losing after a strong first round. Lots of solid finishes throughout the prelims. Absolutely loved the main event. Even though it was one-sided, I was on the edge of my seat for every near submission. It was like Paige was kicking out of all of Rose's finishers, first the jumping rear naked choke that finished Kagan at Invicta 4 and then the armbar. Awesome heart shown by Paige to keep escaping and keep on going all that time after being bloodied badly early on. I was hoping it would go the distance at that point but a great finish for Rose nonetheless. Rose looked excellent dominating the fight. Very fun fight to watch. Good show.

• Like 1

UFC ought to just do a cheap imitation of the Blood from the Stone Austin shirt with Paige subbed in. That was a lot of blood, the second time we've had a bloodfest strawweight fight in the main event on Fight Pass.

• Like 2

Rose Namajunas looked unbelievable tonight, like she was at another level.  Amazing toughness by Paige VanZant getting out of some of those subs, but she she was totally outclassed.

Honestly, the result here is sort of why I didn't want this fight to happen yet.  Think it would've been better if Rose and Paige had this fight after they had a couple other fights under their belt, and Paige was maybe higher up the ladder.

Hopefully, Paige can learn from this loss and become even better.  

• Like 1

Paige showed that she is tough as hell but anybody that thought she was close to being ready was just foolish.  I mean Rose absolutely slaughtered her I can only imagine what Joanna would have done.  How Rose was an underdog in this fight is baffling and doesn't tell you much about the MMA media

Lets give her a couple more years before trying to market her into the next UFC female superstar

To be fair, everyone from the media I saw picked Rose. The three people on the Sherdog roundtable picked Rose.

I only picked Paige because I had no idea how the short camp and quick turnaround would affect Rose. Aside from slowing down a little bit in the middle of round 2, she had a very good performance. She made sure it didn't turn into a scramble fest.

I was texting with someone earlier about that. I think one of the biggest flaws in Paige's overall game is she relies so much on the scramble. Stann even pointed that out. She stuck out her neck and gave up her back so much, that it made it pointless to try to get back up. Even if Rose didn't go for a choke, all the momentum would keep Rose on top of Paige.

There are so many things in her arsenal that she has to let go if she wants to improve. That head and arm throw is definitely one of them. It is so acquainted in high level MMA. Time to dump it.