DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Winter 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Shut up, Dave.

Looked really poor in the final third again, much like against Swansea. Need to figure out how to break down teams unwilling to pass it out from the back and that defend deep. Benteke was supposed to be the answer but he hardly broke a sweat.

Well played, Newcastle.

I guess i was close. ;)

I used to have that site bookmarked that had a map of where all the teams were. I may have counted "suburban" london teams like Watford.

Vicarage Road is getting a London Underground station next season. I say they count.

Never mind that. Here is the greatest football song ever, courtesy of some West Brom fans:

It's the remix to Ignition,

Tony Pulis edition

Sign ten centre backs

Play them out of position,

Watching us is no fun,

Say who cares man, we won,

It's the freakin' weekend sonny,

Time for parking the bus

• Like 3

Best case scenario: Studge overcomes his injury proneness and is back to his 2013-14 form. Second best scenario: he has a good run of games and then we sell him for a profit. This fucking sucks. How is it possible for a person to be in that great of shape to have so many different injuries in such a short span of time?

I actually find it an interesting topic in gnereal. There's this traditional sports logic that injury prone = out of shape, but I'm not really sure there's any actual evidence to back up this common wisdom as being accurate at all. There seem to be some people that no matter how fit they are simply are very injury prone and that they're totally unrelated issues.

From Transfermarkt.de:

15/16 Hamstring Injury Dec 8, 2015 Dec 31, 2015 23 days 5Liverpool FC

15/16 Ödem im Knie Oct 16, 2015 Nov 10, 2015 25 days 7Liverpool FC
14/15 Hüftverletzung Apr 8, 2015 Sep 22, 2015 167 days 16Liverpool FC
14/15 Hamstring Injury Nov 18, 2014 Jan 28, 2015 71 days 18Liverpool FC
14/15 Thigh Muscle Strain Sep 5, 2014 Oct 3, 2014 28 days 6Liverpool FC
13/14 Sprained Ankle Dec 3, 2013 Jan 8, 2014 36 days 8Liverpool FC
13/14 Torn Ankle Ligament Nov 27, 2013 Jan 8, 2014 42 days 9Liverpool FC
12/13 groin strain Feb 5, 2013 Feb 13, 2013 8 days 1Liverpool FC
12/13 Hamstring Injury Nov 20, 2012 Dec 27, 2012 37 days 11Chelsea FC
08/09 Virus Infection Dec 12, 2008 Dec 26, 2008 14 days 4Manchester City
08/09 Malleolar injury Oct 29, 2008 Nov 26, 2008 28 days 6Manchester City

The number in front of the team is how many matches he missed. So, if he comes back when expected (unlikely), that'll be 70 missed matches for Liverpool alone.

I fail to see why there's so much sorrow over Monk going, unless it's just another one of those "but he's English, innit he?" things.  One win in 11 matches, and they type of football Swansea were playing was unrecognizable slow hoofball shite in comparison to the creative and technical flair that Martinez, Rodgers, and Laudrup had built upon over the years.  He froze out a talent like Michu and let him go on a free.  He had lost the players, and they weren't even trying for him anymore.  Considering that his chief job is to set them up tactically and to motivate them, and you can't sack the whole team...what other result could there be?

I fail to see why there's so much sorrow over Monk going, unless it's just another one of those "but he's English, innit he?" things.  One win in 11 matches, and they type of football Swansea were playing was unrecognizable slow hoofball shite in comparison to the creative and technical flair that Martinez, Rodgers, and Laudrup had built upon over the years.  He froze out a talent like Michu and let him go on a free.  He had lost the players, and they weren't even trying for him anymore.  Considering that his chief job is to set them up tactically and to motivate them, and you can't sack the whole team...what other result could there be?

I presume the angst comes from firing someone at the club for 12 years as a player then manager.

What will happen when Giggs or GNev become United manager and eventually get fired? The downside to naming a team's talismanic figure as manager.