DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I'm in love with Bill Burr's "F Is For Family" cartoon on Netflix. It's the Seventies I remember.

I blew threw that series in like 2 days or so. It's pretty funny, lots of good moments. It's a little remiscient in part, of other series, but it's pretty good for a first season. The best part, by far, is any time the father goes on a tirade.
As someone who grew up in a Northeast small town/ suburbs , it hits every fucking note. It's not what my family was like but a lot of my pals families were like the Murphy's.

Just caught the pilot of the Expanse. Aside from a realization I won't be able to shake that Thomas Jane looks like an age-advanced Alex Shelly with that hair, I liked it. It was a good hook to have the Mars contingent come in and lay the wood at the end without ever actually showing them on screen. 

Watched the first season of "The Principal" on Netflix. It's only four episodes but covers a lot of ground in that time. Matt is the new principal of his old high school in a very tough section of Australia. The school itself is "a war zone" with fights, etc. The characters are deep and the conflicts interesting. You've got Muslims, Shiite, whites, Lebanese, etc. It's an intelligent, well thought out show. Give it a shot.

I didn't watch a lot of "Boy Meet World," but was it as big a piece of shit as "Girl Meets World?". Every situation is contrived, all the dialogue is soundbytes and pieces of fortune cookie wisdom. But god-deezamn, my daughter loves it.

I didn't watch a lot of "Boy Meet World," but was it as big a piece of shit as "Girl Meets World?". Every situation is contrived, all the dialogue is soundbytes and pieces of fortune cookie wisdom. But god-deezamn, my daughter loves it.

What do you expect? It's on the Disney Channel, man. It doesn't come close to having the heart that the original show had, but it tried. I only watched the episodes where some of the original cast made appearances, because that's all I care about from the new show. I could see why your daughter loves it, though. I don't know how old she is, but when I was little, I LOVED Boy Meets World (and everything on TGIF, actually).

Anyway, is the Leftovers any good? I DVR'd the first season and it's just sitting there. I literally have no idea what it's about, just heard a lot of good things about the second season.

Based on the TV poll we ran here, lots of people loved the original.

Picard.gif here

;)

------

Meanwhile, i was watching some S1 mission impossible this weekend. Funny how they varied from the traditional formula. There's an episode with just Rollin and Cinnamon trying to find a mcguffin in a resort ttown. And an episode when Dan is disguised as a foreign agent all but the beginni g and end, so Steven Hill is barely in the episode. That episode also had Sorrell Booke as another enemy agent.

I quite literally grew up watching that show, so whatever man! :P

That poll just illustrated the demographic gap that exists on the board. I dont think BMW even debuted until i was in college. Its possible the only episodes i have ever seen are when Vader was on the show.

Anyway, is the Leftovers any good? I DVR'd the first season and it's just sitting there. I literally have no idea what it's about, just heard a lot of good things about the second season.

Season one is depressing and aimless and will make you hate everything and want to crawl up in a ball in the corner.

Season two was one of the best seasons of television in 2015.

I want to check it out, but only if it's going to have an actual conclusion/explanation/something.

Of course, I'm the asshole who turned off the pilot to Lost twenty minutes or so in thinking it was one of the worst things I've ever seen on TV only to see everyone else regard it as one of the best pilots ever made and such. So it's possible that's why I've avoided watching this.

Well, Lindelof and Perrotta have said from the very beginning that they're never going to explain the Sudden Departure, so if you consider not getting an explanation for everything a deal breaker, it might not be the show for you.

That said, I think there is a difference between a show that tells you upfront that it's not going to answer everything and a show that strings you along with the hope of getting answers without delivering in the end.

The show is really about the characters dealing with the fallout from the SD as an allegory for how we deal with the unknowns in the real world. To provide an answer in the end would kinda cheapen it.

The "BMW"/ "GMW" thing irks me because, very often, the BMW callbacks are so random and free of any real context that they could easily have Zak Morris come out and have it treated be with the same amount of no-shits-given.

After I posted my original rant, Disney played an episode about bullying and it was the drizzling shits.  I may even get away with writing a doctoral thesis about how shitty it is.

And for Casey, I can't blame Disney; that's the channel that brought us "Phineas & Ferb," "Gravity Falls," and ... ahem ... that's kinda it.

From Variety:

"The deal involved nearly six months of negotiations with Hollywood’s talent guilds and the American Federation of Musicians. The talks were complicated because there’s not much precedent for residual fees for full-length reruns of a vintage variety show re-airing on a digital broadcast channel. A few weeks ago the deal almost fell apart over cost issues that seemed insurmountable, but Compton and his team kept hammering away until compromises were reached.

Tribune execs are determined to keep each episode as intact as possible — which means negotiating new agreements for the show’s many musical performances on an episode-by-episode basis, in most cases."

• Like 1

The "BMW"/ "GMW" thing irks me because, very often, the BMW callbacks are so random and free of any real context that they could easily have Zak Morris come out and have it treated be with the same amount of no-shits-given.

After I posted my original rant, Disney played an episode about bullying and it was the drizzling shits.  I may even get away with writing a doctoral thesis about how shitty it is.

And for Casey, I can't blame Disney; that's the channel that brought us "Phineas & Ferb," "Gravity Falls," and ... ahem ... that's kinda it.

Earth's Mightiest Heroes? Star Wars: Rebels? Kim Possible?