DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Started on Casual, Review and Moone Boy this week.  I needed to have some comedy with the crapload of hourlong dramas we've been plowing through lately.  Moone Boy I'm absolutely loving.  The entire third episode revolving around bringing down his wall in the backyard was so good.  Casual is decent.  I thought the first two episodes were strong but the third was a definite drop.  I'll stick through it though since it's less than 4 hours total for the rest of the season.

Review, of course, is completely insane and I love it.

Scream Queens finished this week. This was an astoundingly good show. Pop Culture meets Horror Movies meets Dark, Horrible, Soul-Crushing Nihilism.

And, unlike Aunt Julia, Emma Roberts actually knows how to pull off comedy. 

Not necessarily, of course. But you can count money. You can't quantify "quality" in a subjective artistic medium.

And besides, WHICH style of comedy did Reed mean she can't pull off? She's done lots of incredibly varied work. Mystic Pizza, Pretty Woman, Hook, The Player, I Love Trouble, Something to Talk About, My Best Friend's Wedding, Everyone Says I Love You, Notting Hill, The Mexican, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Ocean's 12, Charlotte's Web, Charlie Wilson's War, Duplicity, Mirror Mirror, and August: Osage County are all comedies or have lots of comedy in them. But every one of them has a different tone, with Roberts playing completely different types of parts.

I'm about halfway through THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE, and it's very middle-of-the-road. It's always just good enough to get me to watch the next episode, but I can't think of one thing about it that really stands out.

I think what stands out most about it at this point is just how far off-book they've gotten in short order.

Top 40 animated characters countdown on FOX last night the list was total crap! Stewie #1 Fuck Off!

Frankly, I'm not sure Stewie is the best Seth McFarlane character, as a strong argument could made for Roger the alien. . . .

I haven't watched the show in years but I thought Brian and Stan and Roger were all better than Stewie. 

• Like 1

Apparently CBS has cancelled Mike and Molly

Basically - the 13 episodes they are about to air are the final ones... though since they were given a full season renewal they are filming a full 22 so who the fuck knows what is happening with those other episodes

Poor poor everyone who isn't Melissa McCarthy

DVR'd both, going to start checking them out tonight.

Nobody is really talking about it around here but god damn, Homeland is amazing this season.  The only show whose episodes consistently end too soon and I yell "GOD DAMMIT" at the end credits.

The slow burn over the last three or so episodes has been insane. For a show that had been so frantic at times in its history, it's a wild change of pace that is making the season so much better.

• Like 1

So my folks have the Comet Network on their channel line-up now which is like the short bus version of Syfy.  At least they showed Frogs yesterday (it was edited for TV though) and have old school Outer Limits episodes on regular rotation.

When they start showing eps of UFO or Space: 1999, I will be impressed.

Comet is the reason my station got shut down in April, so it can go screw.

They *do* have Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot, though.

It comes on at like zero thirty in the morning.  It is going off when I am just getting out of bed.

Besides that, I have all of the seasons on DVD somewhere in the attic.

I watched a lot of Football and Wrasslin on Monday night.  Anyone catch Childhood's End or The Expanse on Syfy.  Are they worth watching?

Absolutely love Childhood's End if for nothing else than that they had the guts to attempt something so ambitious. Their vision far exceeded their reach but I'm still amazed that it was SyFy who attempted it. It's great heady, scifi.

The Expanse, a couple episodes in and my short description of it would be: "Space: Above and Beyond with a more expansive world."

The early years of The Sci-Fi Channel was fantastic; was always a reliable background viewing while doing all nighters for college.