DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Has anyone seen The Captains made by William Shatner? Saw it on Netflix and with my father in law being a Trekkie I thought id put it on.

Holy fuck what a self serving, ego feeding, talkfest this piece of shit is.

Its billed as Shatner bringing together all the Star Trek Captains (Picard, Sisko, Archer, Janeway and Young Kirk) to talk about their experiences, thoughts and feelings about the show etc

But its about an hour of Shatner talking about himself mixed in with Janeway going on about how hard it was being a single mother and filming 12 hours a day, Scott Bakula laughing about getting divored during his time on Quantum Leap, Sisko (high as a kite) playing jazz piano, the other actors pumping up Shatner and 10 minutes of Shatner walking around at a convention, where he does a meet and greet with a disabled fan and immediately calls him by the wrong name.

Lord almighty this is a turd. Avoid at all costs!!!

Averill Brooks killed it though. It was totally worth it just for his parts.

John Cho doesn't have a lot of success in anything not named "Harold and Kumar" or "Star Trek".  

Yeah, but 'Harold and Kumar' made $23 million on a $9 million budget (Not to mention the YEARS of syndication and DVD sales) while Star Trek made $257 million.

That's kinda like saying someone isn't rich because he only won the lottery a couple times.

• Like 2

John Cho and Alyson Hannigan should make another movie together. They could call it "Neil Patrick Harris is a really great guy".

I watched I'll See You in My Dreams last night and it's really wonderful.  Blythe Danner plays an older woman whose dog dies (Less than a week after my cat died...I was not prepared for that!) and finds herself rather aimless before she befriends pool-cleaner Lloyd (Martin Starr who is really wonderful here) and another man (Sam Elliott).  Danner is really incredible here and it's got a strong supporting cast (June Squibb, Mary Kay Place, Rhea Perlman and Malin Akerman) and hits all the right notes.  A sometimes sad, sometimes funny but good look at a segment of the population (The 70+) who really often get ignored in indie cinema.

Not wanting to go too in-depth at this hour, but I just watched CREED and loved it.  Being a huge ROCKY fan enhances the experience, but you can easily enjoy the film with no knowledge of the previous movies.  I love that it was a movie in the "Rockyverse", but was it's own film.  Way better than anything I expected.

The long, flowing tracking shot. The pans from room to room. The way the camera bounces from one conversation to another. Its all so amazingly beautiful and I cant understand why film makers are so scared to do this sort of work.

Because it's really, really hard to pull that stuff off successfully. It takes forever, much longer than the standard "we get this shot, then we get that shot" type of thing. You could literally spend days just lighting those long tracking shots, let alone rehearsal and then finally shooting it all. And every time there's the tiniest mistake, you gotta do the whole thing over again. Lots of directors either don't have the confidence or simply don't want to put forth the extreme amount of effort it takes to do it that way. And more importantly, lots of producers and studios won't pay for the extra time it takes.
  • Like 1

Not wanting to go too in-depth at this hour, but I just watched CREED and loved it.  Being a huge ROCKY fan enhances the experience, but you can easily enjoy the film with no knowledge of the previous movies.  I love that it was a movie in the "Rockyverse", but was it's own film.  Way better than anything I expected.

I intend to do some writing this weekend, and this is one of those things that I hope to write about, but I will say I second this reaction. I really felt like the early first act stuff with MBJ felt a little forced and pieced together, but the movie becomes a much different, better film once Adonis reaches Philly. Also, I am all in on the Stallone hype. That may have been his most affecting performance to date, and I really, really love his "world ain't all sunshine and rainbows" monologue from Balboa. I believe that was my signature on this board for years.

Oh, I didn't know it was that big in America. In England, it was a show BBC2 got rid of because it wasn't doing the same ratings as the other show in the timeslot (which was the Fresh Prince of Bel Air re-re-re-reruns. My son used to think that the TV actor kid from Fresh Prince was the son of the movie actor guy from Hancock. Didn't believe it was the same man, just filmed earlier. He had assumed Fresh Prince was actually fresh).

This is amazing. Amazing.

I intend to do some writing this weekend, and this is one of those things that I hope to write about, but I will say I second this reaction. I really felt like the early first act stuff with MBJ felt a little forced and pieced together, but the movie becomes a much different, better film once Adonis reaches Philly. Also, I am all in on the Stallone hype. That may have been his most affecting performance to date, and I really, really love his "world ain't all sunshine and rainbows" monologue from Balboa. I believe that was my signature on this board for years.

I think what was most endearing to me, is that it really felt like Rocky Balboa just showed up in an entirely different movie.  Like, they made sure this wasn't "Rocky 7".  My only regret is that it seems like Stallone didn't have much input on the fights.  It didn't really have his fingerprints on it.

Has anyone seen The Captains made by William Shatner? Saw it on Netflix and with my father in law being a Trekkie I thought id put it on.

Holy fuck what a self serving, ego feeding, talkfest this piece of shit is.

Its billed as Shatner bringing together all the Star Trek Captains (Picard, Sisko, Archer, Janeway and Young Kirk) to talk about their experiences, thoughts and feelings about the show etc

But its about an hour of Shatner talking about himself mixed in with Janeway going on about how hard it was being a single mother and filming 12 hours a day, Scott Bakula laughing about getting divored during his time on Quantum Leap, Sisko (high as a kite) playing jazz piano, the other actors pumping up Shatner and 10 minutes of Shatner walking around at a convention, where he does a meet and greet with a disabled fan and immediately calls him by the wrong name.

Lord almighty this is a turd. Avoid at all costs!!!

That's a bummer!

Shatner's doc on the creation and first three seasons of TNG was pretty good.

In the US, at least, Alyson Hannigan is probably far more well-known than John Cho. I would wager more people identify Hannigan with HIMYM than Buffy.

Also, Allyson didn't agree to star in Selfie, so she has that in her favor too.

Hey. Selfie was one of the best new comedy shows of the last few years. It took a few episodes, but given a longer run I think it could have been an all timer.

Still a rare show with a mostly non-white-male cast, Gillen and Cho had great chemistry, and David Harewood in a top 5 ever funny role for me. People should really, really check it out and give it a chance (also find the original version of the pilot because they recut it into some garbage)

But yeah, Cho is less of a draw than Hannigan.

Have any of you guys seen Danny Collins? I watched it last week & I'm still thinking about it. I've decided Annette Benning is my favourite actress of all time. She's always so natural. Al Pacino kills it & I can't recommend it enough.

Oh, I didn't know it was that big in America. In England, it was a show BBC2 got rid of because it wasn't doing the same ratings as the other show in the timeslot (which was the Fresh Prince of Bel Air re-re-re-reruns. My son used to think that the TV actor kid from Fresh Prince was the son of the movie actor guy from Hancock. Didn't believe it was the same man, just filmed earlier. He had assumed Fresh Prince was actually fresh).

This is amazing. Amazing.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to reboot Fresh Prince with Jayden Smith playing Will's son or some such thing.

Damn Creed was fucking awesome. I think it was actually better than the hype which is crazy. Stallone was Oscar worthy and Michael B. Jordan was very good also. Him and Tessa Thompson had good chemistry. Stallone and Jordan had very good chemistry also.  So much to like. They captured modern day Philadelphia extremely well.  I loved that one fight scene that I guess was a long take tracking shot holy shit. I didn't expecting the directing/writing and acting to all be this good. It fit in so well with the Rocky universe too.

• Like 2

Speaking of Stallone, I just finished an old 1980-ish cop thriller he made called Nighthawks. It's... meh. Rutger Hauer is a box of dynamite as the evil terrorist villain, but the character makes no sense and the "we're not so different, you and I!" dynamic it keeps trying to make between him and the hero is quite forced. Especially since Stallone is playing a much more ordinary guy than he usually plays as the hero, a street cop who never shoots anyone and isn't even portrayed as much of a badass (he even wears glasses). Billy Dee Williams, Lindsay Wagner, Persis Khambatta, and Nigel Davenport are all here but do little besides standing around with their thumbs up their asses, looking unhappy to be there and giving the sense that they really all should've had bigger parts.

The overall film feels like it's trying to be a French Connection wannabe; but it's got an aborted brainless-80s-action-flick soul, and a script which never seems to make a decision on where the story's going or what the message is supposed to be. (The title is never explained in any way, for just one example.) Doing a little bit of reading, it turns out that the film went through a truly epic amount of on-set chaos and postproduction meddling, eventually turning into one of those poor pieces of shit which is haphazardly excreted by an entire committee of filmmakers. It shows. Don't bother with this one unless you're a HUGE fan of Rutger, who really is the only thing worth seeing here.

• Like 1

I remember wanting to like that so much when I watched it 5-7 years ago but I just couldn't. Everything was forced, as you said... even the '70s minimalism. But it had Hauer in all of his glory and Stallone trying to be serious Stallone. Huge missed opportunity.

If you wanna watch Nighthawks despite Jingus' review maybe just go watch this:

An incredible clipfest of the greatest horror films from a myriad of companies coming together under one umbrella (bizarre to say the least) which is narrated by Donald Pleasance and Nancy Allen (awesome) and for some reason includes scenes from Nighthawks, Vice Squad, Marathon Man, Klute, etc. It's kind of really awesome.

• Like 1

I watched the first Hangover movie for this first time in my life. All I knew going in was that Mike Tyson was in it, and loads of people loved the first one but hated the sequels because they were exactly the same as the first one. Which doesn't seem to make much sense, because AC/DC made loads of albums that were exactly the same as their last one and everyone loves them.

Anyway, having seen the first Hangover, I can see why the studio went the 'sequels as remakes' route, because I couldn't really see anything that made it leap out and be radically different from a million other gross-out comedies. So repeating the formula as closely as possible would probably be the best plan... I'm not saying it was bad, it was pretty good, but it was also... unremarkable, really. If all that Hollywood took from this movie was "This Bradley Cooper kid is a fucking movie star" and "Formula successful. Repeat formula", that's probably all that was their to be taken.

Sorry if you love it and it's your favourite film forever. I just didn't think it was overly fantastic or anything.

If you wanna watch Nighthawks despite Jingus' review maybe just go watch this:

An incredible clipfest of the greatest horror films from a myriad of companies coming together under one umbrella (bizarre to say the least) which is narrated by Donald Pleasance and Nancy Allen (awesome) and for some reason includes scenes from Nighthawks, Vice Squad, Marathon Man, Klute, etc. It's kind of really awesome.

Terror In The Aisles and It Came From Hollywood are both totally awesome!

For some stupid reason, I watched the second Matrix movie over the weekend.  What a pile of dog shit. 

When Morpheus is giving his big ridiculous speech to the assembled dirty hippies in Zion, I kept waiting for him to punctuate a statement with CAAAANN YOOOU DIIIG IIIIIIIIIT!?

• Like 1

There was another one called Heartstoppers: Horror at the Movies hosted by George Hamilton that was just the best. Elvira showed up and Forry Ackerman toured the Ackermansion too besides the clips.

Looked up It Came from Hollywood and MAN do I have to see that! Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Gilda Radner and Cheech y Chong making fun of B-movies? Sign me up!

For some stupid reason, I watched the second Matrix movie over the weekend.  What a pile of dog shit. 

When Morpheus is giving his big ridiculous speech to the assembled dirty hippies in Zion, I kept waiting for him to punctuate a statement with CAAAANN YOOOU DIIIG IIIIIIIIIT!?

Matrix 2 has a bunch of really great action sequences, but it's really hard to enjoy them because of all the terrible pretentious other stuff in between them.

Of all things the MTV Movie Awards did a pretty terrific job at taking the starch out of that movie.

• Like 2

Speaking of Stallone, I just finished an old 1980-ish cop thriller he made called Nighthawks. It's... meh. Rutger Hauer is a box of dynamite as the evil terrorist villain.            

Don't bother with this one unless you're a HUGE fan of Rutger, who really is the only thing worth seeing here.

I probably haven't seen Nighthawks since it made it's initial HBO run way back when, but I remember liking it a lot. Probably because I went through a Soldier of Fortune magazine  phase as a teenager.  There were always articles about Carlos the Jackal, which the Hauer role was obviously based upon. Thankfully I grew out of my dreams of the mercenary life and my desire to join the French Foreign Legion and my three year stint in the U.S. Army provided me with enough of the military life to last me forever.  If Nighthawks doesn't hold up, I think The Dogs of War probably does.