DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Die Hard 4 was...eh, good (ish). I think it's a bit better than Die Hard 2. It had interesting ideas, at least.

And Timothy Olyphant was a stand out villain.

Not some calm, sophisticated, vaguely European guy, as per usual. Just, you know, this pissed off ex-government dude. Sure, he was doing terrible things, but he felt he was actually justified and he made a point of saying he wasn't out to destroy the world or America or anything. He just wanted the cash to compensate for his troubles.

To borrow from Mick Foley, the best villains are the ones who think they're in the right. That's kinda what I liked about that character. He did think that.

Hmm I don't know man.  Justin.  Long.

That's what I was thinking.  Also.  Kevin. Smith. Acting. 

Kevin Smith as fat hacker in his mom's basement with the best lines in the movie was one of few things in that movie worth watching; the other thing being Maggie Q with blonde hair..

It was probably a tad more fair to the NFL than I would have liked, but I hate the NFL with the passion of a thousand suns. I have no idea where Simmons got the idea they didn't go after them, the movie paints a clear picture that everyone from the fans all the way up to the suits are responsible the players' issues. The NFL and especially team doctors are the clear villains.

I have not seen the Frontline episode, but my wife picked CONCUSSION as her movie to fall asleep to and ended up enraptured by it, then we had a lengthy discussion afterwards.

League of Denial is pretty good.

Anyway, anything other than a straight up depiction of a Goodell beheading is not satisfying Bill Simmons.

Having finally seen League of Denial I'm a tad more on Simmons' side.  Had I known the ENTIRE story, yeah I would have been a little disappointed they didn't go after the NFL more.

• Like 1

Hateful Eight thoughts -- The first hour-ish kinda drags and feels like it's never gonna end, but once the rest of the characters are introduced, after they reach their destination, it becomes totally absorbing and I really got caught up in trying to figure out who the heels and faces are. 

(yea, it's annoying when people use wrestling terminology out of context, but I just did it. Fuck it). Ridiculous amounts of blood are spilled, obviously. But In QT's films, it always comes off as cartoonish, so it never really bugs me. 

Jennifer Jason Leigh is insanely good as Daisy, and should easily nab an Oscar nomination. Samuel L. Jackson also deserves an Oscar nod for his role as Maj. Marquis Warren. Then again, I thought he deserved consideration for his role as Stephen in Django Unchained, so what do I know? 

Overall, I'd say this movie is as good as Inglorious Basterds, better than the Kill Bills, but not quite on the level of Django, or Jackie Brown

I just watched The Man with the Iron Fists. It was fun... I can see people who don't watch Kung Fu movies not getting it and thinking it's stupid, and I can see people who watch loads of Kung Fu movies thinking it's a pale imitation that can't live up to the greats of the genre. But I thought it was great. RZA gave a pretty good performance for a guy in his first performance, let alone for a guy directing his first movie (in terms of musicians making their movie directing debut, this is way better than House of a Thousand Corpses),and Russell Crowe made a decent fist of a British accent (after spectacularly failing to do so in that Robin Hood film), but Byron Mann and Dave Bautista both showed a shitload of charisma on screen. I'm not surprised Dave managed to move on to big Hollywood films after this performance.

Hmm I don't know man. Justin. Long.

That's what I was thinking. Also. Kevin. Smith. Acting.

Kevin Smith as fat hacker in his mom's basement with the best lines in the movie was one of few things in that movie worth watching; the other thing being Maggie Q with blonde hair..

Smith is pretty convinced he only got the role so they wouldn't have to pay and credit him for the rewrite he did on the script for that scene in his audition.

Quick thoughts on Hateful 8

Enjoyed more than Django, not as much as Basterds.

Jackson, Russell, Goggins, JJL all really good.

Some of the deaths were legit LOL funny.

vistas were very pretty.

I was happy for the intermission, sincei doubt i could last a 3 hour picture without using the facilities.

We sat in middle back row and could hear the projector running, which was very cool.

Best thing of all, no previews. Just the 2 theater no talking trailers.

I watched the Hobbit extended editions over the last couple of days and a question occurred, did Peter Jackson get in trouble with the directors guild, like Lucas for not having the credits at the beginning of the movie? Or is that something that no one cares about anymore?

Lucas is now backtracking from the "white slavers" comment and says Disney is doing a great job.

Translation: Georgey got a phone call from some lawyers reminding him of the non-disparagement clause in the Star Wars sale contract that undoubtedly is in there.

RZA gave a pretty good performance for a guy in his first performance

Dude he's got 30 acting credits on imdb. Remember him playing the cop in American Gangster?

Not only a cop, but a cop with a Wu-Tang tattoo in the 1970s.

• Like 2

RZA gave a pretty good performance for a guy in his first performance

Dude he's got 30 acting credits on imdb. Remember him playing the cop in American Gangster?

I remember him walking past the camera and nodding in Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai. But I've never seen American Gangster.

I never noticed that tattoo but seriously... they can't cover it up? Probably, he wouldn't let them. 

American Gangster's worth a watch. It's not the greatest film but it has its moments, particularly the "you blunt that shit" moment that you can find in the beatdowns thread here.