DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

It was probably a tad more fair to the NFL than I would have liked, but I hate the NFL with the passion of a thousand suns. I have no idea where Simmons got the idea they didn't go after them, the movie paints a clear picture that everyone from the fans all the way up to the suits are responsible the players' issues. The NFL and especially team doctors are the clear villains.

I have not seen the Frontline episode, but my wife picked CONCUSSION as her movie to fall asleep to and ended up enraptured by it, then we had a lengthy discussion afterwards.

League of Denial is pretty good.

Anyway, anything other than a straight up depiction of a Goodell beheading is not satisfying Bill Simmons.

Ok cool and thank you I will have to give it a watch soon.  I loved the PBS documentary.  Also, I'm seeing this is at 60% at RT but didn't it receive nominations at the Globes?  Looks like this will be a polarizing film.

I'm confident the football industrial complex TV division will do its best to poke holes in the movie, all while taking ad movie for spots.

• Like 1

Yeah, it seemed like the casting directors picked Emilia Clarke based on just HEARING that she played a "strong female hero" on Game of Thrones and never actually watched the show. If they did, they'd have seen that her character Daenerys is a military general who never gets her own hands dirty in combat. That's a far cry from the shotgun-toting mama-bear badass that Sarah Connor is supposed to be; heck, even Clarke's GoT costar Lena Headey did a much more convincing job with the same character in The Sarah Connor Chronicles. And as for Jai Courtney: for the love of God, won't somebody stop this talentless man? He was horrible in this film, horrible in Die Hard 5, horrible in Insurgent. Hollywood, please stop trying to make him into A Thing, we've already got a glut of stubble-encrusted caucasian prettyboys who can do all the same shit Jai can and do it better.

The movie was dull enough overall that I turned the damn thing off about halfway through. Even with Arnold back, it felt more cheesy and second-rate than Salvation did. Not nearly enough Governator, either, they kept putting the focus on everyone BUT him.

Jai Courtnay was tolerable in Spartacus BaS. Maybe all his talent was in his hair, and the buzzcut he's been having in films is what's blanding him.

I liked it way more than the reviews/general opinion. It has ideas, fit better or worse.

It opened late in China and that saved it's box office. It was dead in the water and then the Chinese audience flocked to it

And as for Jai Courtney: for the love of God, won't somebody stop this talentless man? He was horrible in this film, horrible in Die Hard 5, horrible in Insurgent. Hollywood, please stop trying to make him into A Thing, we've already got a glut of stubble-encrusted caucasian prettyboys who can do all the same shit Jai can and do it better.

I was watching Die Hard 3 and silently ranking them in my mind (I ended up with 1. Die Hard 3; 2. Die Hard; 3. Die Hard 2; 4. Die Hard 5; 5. Die Hard 4) and I got to thinking about 'Die Hard 5' and Jai Courtney and was wondering why he's a thing.  Like the only thing I remember him being passable in was 'Jack Reacher' but he keeps getting huge franchises/big roles and I see he's in Suicide Squad next year, too.  It's sort of baffling as to why he got where he did, does he have a famous relative or something?!

I'm pretty sure he was a late replacement for Tom Hardy so they went from an A actor to a C- actor. Tough break but I figure his role won't be an important one. As for China, holy shit they are going to end up saving a ton of franchises that should die off aren't they? I can already see them giving Ninja Turtles all the fuck money.

Yeah, and they probably didn't even need his character at all in Live Free.  I think they could have made John McClane's daughter the hacker with a few changes to her backstory and still have the father/daughter dynamic be the comic relief.  And yes, there are attractive, Mary Elizabeth Winstead-esque hackers out there, people-.  Believe.

Timothy Olyphant was a solid villain too.

I'm pretty sure he was a late replacement for Tom Hardy so they went from an A actor to a C- actor. Tough break but I figure his role won't be an important one.

Jai didn't replace Hardy. He was cast specifically for his particular role. And it is an important one as Captain Boomerang is a Rogue and one of the characters who was in most of the original series by Ostrander. Hardy was supposed to be Rick Flagg who is the field commander/watchdog. Honestly it was a bs casting anyways as Hardy really should have been Deadshot.

Yeah, and they probably didn't even need his character at all in Live Free.  I think they could have made John McClane's daughter the hacker with a few changes to her backstory and still have the father/daughter dynamic be the comic relief.  And yes, there are attractive, Mary Elizabeth Winstead-esque hackers out there, people-.  Believe.

Timothy Olyphant was a solid villain too.

As bad as Die hard 4 can be, Die hard 5 is the drizzling shits. Justin Long or not, it at least tries to tell a story. . . .

Die Hard for me is one of the rare movie franchises that goes in order of quality (from best to worst). Though I realize I probably like Die Hard 2 more than most.

1. Die Hard

2. Die Hard 2

3. Die Hard with a Vengeance

4. Live Free or Die Hard

5. A Good Day to Die Hard (by FAR the worst, just awful)

I watched Lost Souls: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr Moreau film.

I thought it would be funny, with all these wacky tales of Hollywood excess and craziness and whatnot.

Instead, it was just quite sad. And came off as a startling reminding of how the little guys, who work hard, get brushed away and abused in the grand scheme of things.

I know it's a bit petty, but I can't help but laugh at Val Kilmer ending up some sad, silly B movie supporting actor in DTV movies no one ever hears of these days.

What an utter, utter prick. 

The Stanford Prison Experiment was decent and well acted. It's based on that true story but holy shit, I found it a little hard to believe that these students would follow orders with the way that one dude with the glasses was acting. I would have had it out with him within five minutes of being there.

The Stanford Prison Experiment was decent and well acted. It's based on that true story but holy shit, I found it a little hard to believe that these students would follow orders with the way that one dude with the glasses was acting. I would have had it out with him within five minutes of being there.

And then he and the other guards would have beat you. How many of the other prisoners do you think would jump to your defence?

I get where you're coming from though. That's what makes these sorts of experiments so interesting to me. They really show us a side of people that we don't want to believe exists...