DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Kilmer wasn't a draw, but it's easy to see how his agents could've made that case or how he might've believed it was so. He happened to be in several movies where people clearly weren't lining up to see the movie because of him, but the films still made good money anyway: Top Gun, Willow, Tombstone, Batman Forever, Heat. It's the sort of thing where no filmgoer would be saying "hey everyone, let's go see the new Val Kilmer movie!" but he was good enough in his roles that in hindsight he looked like a larger part of those movies' successes than he really was. He was the movie equivalent of Ricky Steamboat in the WWF; everyone might be raving about his performance afterward, but everyone knows it was Hogan who sold the tickets in the first place.

Really it's too bad that he was apparently such a dick and spent so many years in Hollywood Limbo, because he really is a first-rate actor. I say the following in all seriousness: go watch MacGruber for his performance in that movie. Yes, really. He is awesome as a postmodern caricature of a villain from an early-period Steven Seagal flick. And if you've never seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, be sure to give that one a whirl too (it also introduces us to Modern Hyper-Talking Robert Downey Jr).

• Like 1

Apparently, Hateful 8 and Revenant screeners have leaked.  I post this for informational and entertainment purposes only and do not in any way condone seeking these out. 

Neither one of those are films that you would want to experience in a compressed video format anyways. Those are both meant to be seen on the biggest screen available to you.

Sadly, most people (especially younger ones) really don't care - they're perfectly happy watching stuff on iPhone screens or on upscaled DVDs on TVs that are set to SD.   People that bootleg even moreso.  It's more important for them to have the movie than to actually watch and enjoy it.

I grew up watching stuff on crappy 10" TVs or poor quality vhs tapes and RCA selectavision discs.

If i can see something in HD or on blu-ray, great. If not, oh well. I'd rather see what i want than refuse because its not in a perfect format.

I watch more things on my ipad or portable dvd/blu-ray player than a big TV these days or in the cinemas.

We are also driving an extra hour next week to see H8 in 70mm outside Baltimore than wait a week to see the reg version. So, for the right thing, exceptions are made. :)

• Like 4

We are also driving an extra hour next week to see H8 in 70mm outside Baltimore than wait a week to see the reg version. So, for the right thing, exceptions are made. :)

White Marsh?  Be careful where you park.  Last time I was there, somebody hit my parked car and drove merrily away.

Sadly, most people (especially younger ones) really don't care - they're perfectly happy watching stuff on iPhone screens or on upscaled DVDs on TVs that are set to SD.   People that bootleg even moreso.  It's more important for them to have the movie than to actually watch and enjoy it.

Well, I think some people just want to see a movie and enjoy it once and that's it, and don't care to be hardcore cineastes about it.  Different strokes, etc.

• Like 1

It seems like Hollywood goes through times when it tries to make the next big thing, and that period was Kilmer's. Between the Saint, Batman Forever, Ghost and the Darkness and the Dr Moreau, and his role in Heat. I don't think any of them were great hits, and his behavior likely has kept him out of the supporting roles that probably should have been his. . . .

At this time, I'd like to HIGHLY recommend listening to the Island of Dr. Moreau episode of How Did This Get Made? because it's one of the funniest episodes of that podcast. Later in the episode they air some audio clips of the producer or director, I forget which, and it's from an interview he did where you get first hand knowledge of just how crazy that movie shoot was.

• Like 2

Apparently, Hateful 8 and Revenant screeners have leaked.  I post this for informational and entertainment purposes only and do not in any way condone seeking these out. 

Follow-up brief article here about the FBI investigating how the leak happened.

Andrew Kosove, co-CEO of production-finance company Alcon Entertainment, was sent the “screener” copy of Hateful Eight for year-end awards consideration. That copy was signed for by an office assistant and later shared online, where it is now circulating on multiple file-sharing sites. Sources say officials with the FBI, working in conjunction with distributor The Weinstein Co., have been able to pinpoint Kosove's copy of the film as the source of the leak from a watermark on the DVD sent to him. FBI agents are visiting Alcon’s Century City headquarters Tuesday to determine the chain of custody of the DVD and who is responsible for its uploading. Alcon is cooperating fully in the investigation.

"I've never seen this DVD," Kosove tells THR in an interview. "It's never touched my hands. We're going to do more than cooperate with the FBI. We're going to conduct our own investigation to find out what happened."

White Marsh?  Be careful where you park.  Last time I was there, somebody hit my parked car and drove merrily away.

I always park near Red Brick, never in the back. But its also usually in the morning when there are less people there.

I did not know this movie existed until yesterday. I feel for anybody who may have had to sit through it.

I've seen Miss Castaway listed on Michael Jackson's IMDB page for years, but always assumed it was some kids film. Holy shit, that's terrible. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of what possible incriminating information someone could have on Jackson to force him to appear in this. Nothing comes to mind.

My dad's a big fan of The Saint, if that's anything in Kilmer's favor. I have nothing to say about him aside from he's had some good roles but otherwise he's a complete boor and it's fun to see him gain weight. 

Now on the other hand, you guys reminded me that THIS is something I REALLY REALLY need to see

It seems like Hollywood goes through times when it tries to make the next big thing, and that period was Kilmer's. Between the Saint, Batman Forever, Ghost and the Darkness and the Dr Moreau, and his role in Heat. I don't think any of them were great hits, and his behavior likely has kept him out of the supporting roles that probably should have been his. . . .

At this time, I'd like to HIGHLY recommend listening to the Island of Dr. Moreau episode of How Did This Get Made? because it's one of the funniest episodes of that podcast. Later in the episode they air some audio clips of the producer or director, I forget which, and it's from an interview he did where you get first hand knowledge of just how crazy that movie shoot was.

Another wacky story from the Hughes book: Fairuza Balk got so fed up during filming she, in fact, tried to escape on a plane at one point. But the studios' security guards caught her and forced her to return.   

https://youtu.be/TdADMVrKo_A

I did not know this movie existed until yesterday. I feel for anybody who may have had to sit through it.

I've seen Miss Castaway listed on Michael Jackson's IMDB page for years, but always assumed it was some kids film. Holy shit, that's terrible. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of what possible incriminating information someone could have on Jackson to force him to appear in this. Nothing comes to mind.

That looks hilarious to me. Was that Robin Williams as the Pope?

https://youtu.be/TdADMVrKo_A

That looks hilarious to me. Was that Robin Williams as the Pope?

Is there a weirder filmography out there than Robin Williams? I think it matches his eccentric, over the top personality perfectly.

Since it is Christmas - it means the parade of movies to keep the kids occupied has begun

Hotel Translyvania

Hotel Translyvania 2

Oof - and they watched 2 TWICE. My family will be responsible for the next Adam Sandler disaster. I guess 2 was "better". I think I chuckled more during it mainly because of the kid. Some how Andy Sanburg was more infuriating over the course of two movies than Sandler.

Book of Life

God this was so fucking great and y'all suck for not watching it. The voice cast is aces (well I mean Channing Tatum as a Mexican dude is odd but he fucking crushes the role). I hearted the music a bunch too (and I dorked out over Placido Domingo being in it). This will most likely get added to the collection.

The director had been a friend of his for decades. They even shot his scenes at home at Neverland Ranch.

You know those films that you think you've seen, and then you rewatch them and realise you'd never actually seen them before? I just watched Conan the Barbarian (1982) and... I'd not seen it before. I must have thought Red Sonja was Conan somehow. James Earl Jones had blue eyes and straight hair. I think his character was supposed to be caucasian, seeing as he was the only black guy in the whole movie.

Written by Oliver Stone and John Milius. That must be one of those re-write things where the original writer gets a credit even though his script was thrown out, because I can't see any way those two could collaborate or even agree on anything.

Kid Conan's Mother was really good looking, then she got her head cut off. Not sure how you'd develop biceps from pushing a big log round in circles, that's pretty much a quads and pecs/shoulders workout, but Arnie did look like a Frazetta painting come to life. Having said that, the book Conan could beat film Conan's ass six ways to Sunday.

There was much less nudity in this movie than I was expecting. Early 80s action movies are usually tit central. This was tit peripheral.

• Like 1

After planning a big Xmas movie marathon, the wife and I wound up only watching Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever. Saw it last year and picked up the DVD a week ago. Still found it enjoyable, so it'll probably go into the holiday rotation in this household. The movie pokes fun at itself and provides plenty of chuckles along the way. This was after we watched the Mrs Brown's Boys special, but that's a TV show for another thread.

Have any of y'all Concussion viewers seen the Frontline episode covering this (with an initial focus on Dr. Omalu)? I fucking loved the PBS documentary but I could see myself being irritated by the dramatization.

It was probably a tad more fair to the NFL than I would have liked, but I hate the NFL with the passion of a thousand suns. I have no idea where Simmons got the idea they didn't go after them, the movie paints a clear picture that everyone from the fans all the way up to the suits are responsible the players' issues. The NFL and especially team doctors are the clear villains.

I have not seen the Frontline episode, but my wife picked CONCUSSION as her movie to fall asleep to and ended up enraptured by it, then we had a lengthy discussion afterwards.