DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

More thoughts on Wild Things, considering I've actually watched all of it now. I'd forgotten just how many swerves and twists and double crosses there were towards the end, it got a little excessive. They really went out of their way to not telegraph a lot of them at all, so they came out of nowhere and made little sense in terms of the story we knew at that point in it.

I always feel like if you have to explain most of your plot twists and swerves over the end credits, you did a poor job.  

"Nowadays they call it child abuse, but back then we just called it fun."- Ike Turner, discussing losing his virginity (at age 10, he claims) to a 40 year old woman.

He was a messed up guy, man.

As a person who comes from an African-American family based in the same part of the Mississippi Delta that Ike Turner grew up in, I've heard some WILD shit about what that use to go down. 

Child molestation was pretty frequent in the Mississippi Delta and the towns just outside of it for awhile and was just never talked about. Oprah Winfrey was raped and molested when she was nine. That was in the early to mid 60s. 

Lets just say the safety of black children and women wasn't the biggest priority for white law enforcement for several decades.

Sword & The Sorcerer and Hawk The Slayer were just as awesomely horrible as I remember. 

Somewhere on VHS, I have a recording of The Archer:  Fugitive from the Empire on tape.  I will find it and watch it very soon.

Watched Conquest, too.  Totally hilarious. Maybe unintentionally so. Loved the Fulci trademark gore.

Also, Neve Campbell's career did the same thing. And I'm fairly sure she's actually a pretty good actor.

Neve's way better than Denise. But I think the difference is, Campbell has been perfectly happy pursuing an artist's life in indy films and stage theater. She made her money early from doing six years on Party of Five, and after that show wrapped up she's been living in England ever since then. Seems like she just doesn't have any inclination to play Hollywood's games.

She's been living in England? She hasn't been working in England much. There was that one movie where she played the Queen (it was a parody of American War films that have the USA taking all the credit for winning WW2. Christian Slater was in it), but I don't think I've seen her in anything else. Although a lot of British films that get made don't actually come out... ever, there's investment scams and stuff going on.

Also, Neve Campbell's career did the same thing. And I'm fairly sure she's actually a pretty good actor.

Neve's way better than Denise. But I think the difference is, Campbell has been perfectly happy pursuing an artist's life in indy films and stage theater. She made her money early from doing six years on Party of Five, and after that show wrapped up she's been living in England ever since then. Seems like she just doesn't have any inclination to play Hollywood's games.

She's been living in England? She hasn't been working in England much. There was that one movie where she played the Queen (it was a parody of American War films that have the USA taking all the credit for winning WW2. Christian Slater was in it), but I don't think I've seen her in anything else. Although a lot of British films that get made don't actually come out... ever, there's investment scams and stuff going on.

Are people forgetting the Scream movies?  I'm sure she made a buck or two from those. 

Have we ever had a "best single year for an actor" thread? I'm just thinking Oscar Isaac's 2015 has to be right up there. Ex Machina, A Most Violent Year and now Star Wars VII.

Without doing the legwork yet, i would bet Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Henry Fonda would be candidates from Classic Hollywood and maybe Pacino, DeNiro, Hackman in modern era.

Edit: amazingly, i dont know if any of those names would qualify. The closest would be be Hackman making Young Frankenstein and the Conversation in 1974 and Hackman only had a cameo in the Mel Brooks movie.

Sam Jackson has, like, half the 90s.

1993: Jurassic Park, Menace II Society, True Romance, Loaded Weapon 1

1996: A Time to Kill, Trees Lounge, Hard Eight, The Long Kiss Goodnight

1997: Jackie Brown, Eve's Bayou, One Eight Seven

Sam Jackson has, like, half the 90s.

1993: Jurassic Park, Menace II Society, True Romance, Loaded Weapon 1

1996: A Time to Kill, Trees Lounge, Hard Eight, The Long Kiss Goodnight

1997: Jackie Brown, Eve's Bayou, One Eight Seven

The first thing I think of when I see "One Eight Seven" is Russian Roulette.

"Nowadays they call it child abuse, but back then we just called it fun."- Ike Turner, discussing losing his virginity (at age 10, he claims) to a 40 year old woman.

He was a messed up guy, man.

As a person who comes from an African-American family based in the same part of the Mississippi Delta that Ike Turner grew up in, I've heard some WILD shit about what that use to go down. 

Child molestation was pretty frequent in the Mississippi Delta and the towns just outside of it for awhile and was just never talked about. Oprah Winfrey was raped and molested when she was nine. That was in the early to mid 60s. 

Lets just say the safety of black children and women wasn't the biggest priority for white law enforcement for several decades.

I'd say that most segregated black communities were basically the wild west.  Richard Pryor grew up in Illinois and was a child prostitute.  My uncle and my grandfather tell stories about one street in my hometown in Ohio that used to be a row of brothels, speakeasys and gambling dens that were able to run with impunity unless someone got shot.  The part of my little town where the black people live are called the upper and lower allotments, which is basically the northern part of the town black people could live and the southern part where black people could live.  It was a community that essentially policed itself, and the upper allotment was where all the craziness happened.  Bill Boxdale's "store" was a place my uncle used to buy candy after church when he was a kid.  He didn't realize why so many adults who lived so close were getting "hotel rooms" until he was much older.  It was your one stop shop for liquor, prostitues, and whatever else you may or may not have been into.  The crazy part about it is that those are the only two parts of town that still don't have municipal water, cable, or anything else they can justify not giving black people.  There is a cemetery midway through the town, and all the black people live on one side and all the white people live on the other(there have been white families on the black side, but no black families on the other).  If the black people want running water they have to dig a well(there is still at least one inhabited house without running water in my old neighborhood), if they want more than 3 channels they have to get a satellite and over the last 10 years or so the black side of town has become an unofficial retirement community.  I go back home, look around, and wonder how people still deny the existence of institutional racism.  I grew up in a low to middle class, all black community in the middle of the crack era and was completely safe.  Me and my friends were allowed to stay out as long as we wanted by the time we were 12 or 13 as long as we were in our neighborhood.  The surrounding cities and towns were some of the highest crime areas in the entire country, but I can't remember a crime being committed in our side of town.  We took care of each other, and never knew we didn't have much, but most of my friends have left, because no one wants to live in a place where you're constantly reminded that you aren't wanted(They've even stopped paving the roads, they just started dumping gravel on them.).  The town was a place where black people moved in the early 1900s because there was so much work, even in a place where race was a huge factor a black person could easily find a job.  When the steel mills were running and work was plentiful, you'd put up with that shit, but when you're struggling to find work and put food on the table that shit will wear on you.  I swear I was just planning on making the point about segregated neighborhoods being lawless outside of the Mississippi delta, but I got carried away talking about my hometown.

• Like 13

Last night I watched The Seige starring Denzel Washington and Bruce Willis for the first time in about a decade. Wow this movie is such a strange viewing in today's world.

Post 9/11, the rise of ISIS, the questions about who is funding who in the middle east... I definately recommend giving this a watch and taking note of how differently things were portrayed back in 1998.