DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Can't believe I've never seen Conquest, especially being the Fulci fan I am. Here's the trailer:

and you can watch the whole thing on Youtube as well if you want. Gotta do that sometime. 

While we're on the topic of sword and sorcery, just how bad are those Ator movies? Is it like Luigi Cozzi Hercules level so-bad-its-good or truly truly I want to claw my eyes out bad?

Oh my God a tree branch has more stage presence than Miles O'Keefe. Stay away from the Ator movies.

I will have to sneak watch Conquest online while I am building this database.

Beastmaster is one of greatest bad movies ever made. Me and my pals used to watch it regularly and just make fun of it.

James didn't die in a car crash, he went to San Fran and became a power bottom.

beastmaster11.jpg

55704572.jpg

Bite your tongue.  James Evans was beating the shit out of guys with that staff. 

Careful of any over-the-shoulder onlookers, the movie has a ton of tits in it. The villain is a female witch who always wears a mask but never wears a shirt.

Okay, saving that for home viewing then.  Good lookin' out, Jingus.  I knew there was some coolness in there somewhere.

Beastmaster is one of greatest bad movies ever made. Me and my pals used to watch it regularly and just make fun of it.

James didn't die in a car crash, he went to San Fran and became a power bottom.

beastmaster11.jpg

55704572.jpg

Bite your tongue. James Evans was beating the shit out of guys with that staff.

Ok, so he was a power top.

Yes, I watched The Ridiculous Six.  There's some amusement to be held from spotting the various Sandler cohorts in various supporting roles (Norm McDonald as a brothel customer! Blake Shelton as Wyatt Earp!  No Allen Covert or Peter Dante, somehow....) and Terry Crews is pretty terrific, as per usual.  Everything else is pretty bad: Rob Schneider as a Mexican with a burro with explosive diarrhea! A Native American named Beaver Breath! A campfire singalong!  Also, there is no reason whatsoever for this to be two hours long.

Speaking of Fulci, I caught The House by the Cemetery again on TCM last night and that is so his best film. Couching his lack of logic in a framework where you wonder what is real and what isn't from multiple points of view, and under the more conventional structure of a ghost story, makes it more than just a jumble of weirdness. It's so downbeat and mournful at the end, too. There's this feeling of impending doom hanging over the whole movie and it's really effective. 

• Like 1

More thoughts on Wild Things, considering I've actually watched all of it now. I'd forgotten just how many swerves and twists and double crosses there were towards the end, it got a little excessive. They really went out of their way to not telegraph a lot of them at all, so they came out of nowhere and made little sense in terms of the story we knew at that point in it.

When it come out, it was mostly sold as a new Basic Instinct-type, hot naked women in our sexy movie. But all the teenage boys who paid money to see Denise Richards' amazing boobies would first have to see Theresa Russell's naked sex scene. She was 41 at the time, and this was 1998 so the concept of a MILF didn't exist yet. But Jesus Christ, Denise Richards. Bloody hell. You wonder why her career peaked this early - Starship Troopers, good. Wild Things, good. World is Not Enough, not very good, but big... did someone decide she couldn't actually act at all or something? Also, Neve Campbell's career did the same thing. And I'm fairly sure she's actually a pretty good actor.

"Nowadays they call it child abuse, but back then we just called it fun."- Ike Turner, discussing losing his virginity (at age 10, he claims) to a 40 year old woman.

He was a messed up guy, man.

I said I had the concept down, not that I put it in practice. And you can go all the way back to Our Gang when Jackie Cooper was falling in love with Mrs. Crabtree to see that in action. Jeez, somebody really messed you kids up!. Probably weren't allowed to climb trees either.

• Like 1

But Jesus Christ, Denise Richards. Bloody hell. You wonder why her career peaked this early - Starship Troopers, good. Wild Things, good. World is Not Enough, not very good, but big... did someone decide she couldn't actually act at all or something?

After her disastrous miscasting in The World is Not Enough: yeah, the whole world pretty much decided she couldn't actually act at all. She even won a Razzie for it. And then she immediately took two years off after that movie, which certainly didn't help her career. When she finally came back, it was in the terrible slasher flick Valentine. After that, she very rarely starred in anything worth mentioning, a small role in Love Actually was basically her best credit for the rest of her life.

Also, Neve Campbell's career did the same thing. And I'm fairly sure she's actually a pretty good actor.

Neve's way better than Denise. But I think the difference is, Campbell has been perfectly happy pursuing an artist's life in indy films and stage theater. She made her money early from doing six years on Party of Five, and after that show wrapped up she's been living in England ever since then. Seems like she just doesn't have any inclination to play Hollywood's games.

More thoughts on Wild Things, considering I've actually watched all of it now. I'd forgotten just how many swerves and twists and double crosses there were towards the end, it got a little excessive. They really went out of their way to not telegraph a lot of them at all, so they came out of nowhere and made little sense in terms of the story we knew at that point in it.

I always feel like if you have to explain most of your plot twists and swerves over the end credits, you did a poor job.  

"Nowadays they call it child abuse, but back then we just called it fun."- Ike Turner, discussing losing his virginity (at age 10, he claims) to a 40 year old woman.

He was a messed up guy, man.

As a person who comes from an African-American family based in the same part of the Mississippi Delta that Ike Turner grew up in, I've heard some WILD shit about what that use to go down. 

Child molestation was pretty frequent in the Mississippi Delta and the towns just outside of it for awhile and was just never talked about. Oprah Winfrey was raped and molested when she was nine. That was in the early to mid 60s. 

Lets just say the safety of black children and women wasn't the biggest priority for white law enforcement for several decades.