DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Watched Entertainment over the last few days.  This is about a stand-up comic who's doing a very low-rent tour of the southwest U.S., with something like a Gilbert Gottfried gimmick, doing question-and-answer style obscene jokes in a deliberately annoying voice.  During the day he goes on guided tours, hangs out in hotels, and is clearly extremely depressed.  The movie keeps giving us all these hope spots - he meets a woman who's giving a presentation in a hotel conference room, the guy that he has as an opening act is grateful for the opportunity and is a potential friend, he comes across a flipped-over car in the desert and can maybe save someone's life - and then cutting them off.  There are some very ugly and very difficult moments, but I was always rooting for the guy.  Was really loving it, but then things got a little surreal in the third act (especially the ending) and I'm not sure what to think any more.  Maybe makes my top 20 for 2015, we'll see.

You should know that the movie's somewhat autobiographical because Neil Hamburger actually does that -- he really is a bad insult comic that is intentionally not funny. There's footage of a show on Youtube somewhere where he drags Anthony Kiedis from the Red Hot Chili Peppers through the mud and gets one of the most hostile responses I've seen for a live comic. 

Oh and here's this. For someone not trying to be funny I always laugh at this 

Watched Lethal Weapon 2.  Yeah, I am still not sure anything is as cool and joyous as Riggs and Murtaugh laughing together at the end.

Greatest action film ending ever.

And: "It's just been revoked!"

"They've been de-kaffir-nated." is the best one liner in that movie.

FREE SOUTH AFRICA YOU DUMB SON OF A BITCH~!

• Like 2

I watched that American Reunion movie last night. I probably should have watched the original American Pie first though, because a lot of the callbacks were lost on me. It was kind of odd that John Cho's character was still called Milf Guy #2 when he's now the most famous and successful guy from the first movie (especially considering Milf Guy #1's actor is still an unknown). One bit seemed odd though, the first few movies established that Alyson Hannigan's character was sexually insatiable, whereas in this film she tells her husband that he has to last three whole minutes before he finishes, and she's happy with that. Just seems kind of short and inconsequential, like.

Was Shannon Elizabeth really busy or something? I wasn't expecting her to show up at all, but she had a few second cameo at the end there. 

I watched that American Reunion movie last night. I probably should have watched the original American Pie first though, because a lot of the callbacks were lost on me. It was kind of odd that John Cho's character was still called Milf Guy #2 when he's now the most famous and successful guy from the first movie (especially considering Milf Guy #1's actor is still an unknown). One bit seemed odd though, the first few movies established that Alyson Hannigan's character was sexually insatiable, whereas in this film she tells her husband that he has to last three whole minutes before he finishes, and she's happy with that. Just seems kind of short and inconsequential, like.

Was Shannon Elizabeth really busy or something? I wasn't expecting her to show up at all, but she had a few second cameo at the end there. 

She probably declined an extended role because she's high and mighty now and the job probably required her to show her boobs again.

It was odd, because I remember when the first one came out it was praised for having female characters who were actual characters, with their owns wants and desires and so on. But in this sequel, it's a film about boys where the female characters are there as plot points, rather than people.

Yeah, the best part of the first one is that the women control all the sex that happens, period.

I'll always have a soft spot for the series, being a somewhat socially awkward kid from small town Michigan who was 16 or 17 when the first one came out.

One bit seemed odd though, the first few movies established that Alyson Hannigan's character was sexually insatiable, whereas in this film she tells her husband that he has to last three whole minutes before he finishes, and she's happy with that. Just seems kind of short and inconsequential, like.

That's marriage.
  • Like 1

John Cho was in Star Trek. Alyson Hannigan was in Date Movie.Hollywood economics.

Are there any major fans of the American Pie series who are pissed off that Reunion ignored all the new characters from the DTV sequels? Where's the other Stifler (nb: I haven't seen them. But one of them was advertised on TV with a clip where Eugene Levy was saying "There are two Stiflers?" and this other guy was like "Shyeah heah!")?

John Cho was in Star Trek. Alyson Hannigan was in Date Movie.Hollywood economics.

Are there any major fans of the American Pie series who are pissed off that Reunion ignored all the new characters from the DTV sequels? Where's the other Stifler (nb: I haven't seen them. But one of them was advertised on TV with a clip where Eugene Levy was saying "There are two Stiflers?" and this other guy was like "Shyeah heah!")?

They aren't good. The first one has Stifler's little brother, the next two a cousin. I don't think the fourth one has any Stifler at all. Reunion also messed up any continuity they might have had. Don't watch them.

I would think hannigan has more recognition from buffy and how i met your mother than any of her movie roles.

I know, but Hollywood doesn't think rationally.

HIMYM was a huge top 10 show when it was on and is constantly on several times a day on multiple stations in reruns.  Haningan's way more recognizable to the average person, who would just think Cho was generic Asian guy if you put their pictures side by side.

HIMYM was a huge top 10 show when it was on and is constantly on several times a day on multiple stations in reruns.  Haningan's way more recognizable to the average person, who would just think Cho was generic Asian guy if you put their pictures side by side.

Oh, I didn't know it was that big in America. In England, it was a show BBC2 got rid of because it wasn't doing the same ratings as the other show in the timeslot (which was the Fresh Prince of Bel Air re-re-re-reruns. My son used to think that the TV actor kid from Fresh Prince was the son of the movie actor guy from Hancock. Didn't believe it was the same man, just filmed earlier. He had assumed Fresh Prince was actually fresh).

• Like 1

It was ridiculously huge here. Think Friends huge. Basically where Big Bang Theory is at now.

I also can't speak to the quality of HIMYM or BBT, except to say that the clips of BBT without the laugh track are awful, but you could say that about a lot of shows.

Kinda OT, but my wife got me into the show and it's funny in parts (mostly Barney) but the last season is horrible and most people agree the ending pretty much shit on everything that was building up to it.  If Alyson isn't working in films, I'd assume it's more by choice (she really never needs to work again cause of those fat residual checks) - everyone else on the show has worked pretty steadily since it ended.

Asians still get treated pretty poorly in Hollywood - women are either cute geeks or "dragon lady" assassins, guys are either dorky geeks or kung fu experts.  Fresh Off the Boat is the first time in a long time you've seen "normal" Asians in mainstream American media.  So I'm sure Cho's success gets him a lot of offers, but they're probably stereotypical crap he turns down.

Saw Snake Eyes starring Nic Cage and Gary Sinese.

It's a basic, by the numbers 'who done it' type and the twist it pretty obvious but I bring it up because of 2 things - the direction and editting.

The long, flowing tracking shot. The pans from room to room. The way the camera bounces from one conversation to another. Its all so amazingly beautiful and I cant understand why film makers are so scared to do this sort of work.

Cage's performance is awesome. The dirty cop with a tiny black heart of gold is a perfect role for him. He rides the line between scumbag and morally right just enough that you cant ever be comfortable liking him but you know he's the good guy. Having seen this now I wish that Cage and Brian De Palma worked together more.

Ignore Rotten Tomatos, check this out. If only to enjoy Cage's work and the long lost art of the tracking shot.