DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

For those who haven't put me on ignore yet, December indie shows in my neck of the woods(short list):

-Saturday 12/5: Mid-Missouri Wrestling Alliance in St. Louis, MO
-Sunday 12/6: Pro Wrestling Championship Series in Alton, IL (Colt Cabana, Kikutaro, Grado)
-Saturday 12/12: Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in East Carondelet, IL (Flash Flanagan vs. Ron Powers vs. Kahagas cage match, plus two more cage matches)

Flash Flanagan is still at it! That's such a late 90s PWI guy. I still don't think I've ever seen one of his matches

Great heel champion in SICW, too.  Came out last month waving a giant "W" flag and changing his intro from Indianapolis to hailing from the great baseball town of Chicago.  Bwahahaha.

• Like 1

I really hate like 97% of all finishers in WWE. Like, I think most would benefit from using a different finish.

There isn't a single finisher in the entire promotion that makes me feel like it matters(OK, maybe the Pop-Up Powerbomb).  I never need to see another spear, downward spiral variation, or a DDT that looks less painful than a regular old DDT.  Is there a reason Ryback's Samoan drop is more devastating than all of the other Samoan drops we see all over Raw?  Seriously, why is his Samoan drop better than the ones used by the Usos', Rusev's, or Roman Reign's Samoan Drops?  Everything about their product is stale as three day old shit, I'm actually afraid to go into the "How Happy are You with the WWE Product," thread.  I feel like I'd start typing and never stop.

• Like 4

Yup, was in the original Light Heavyweight Title tournament (lost to Brian Christopher).

Ron Powers was on WCW TV a couple of times, including Nitro (only thing I could find on YouTube was him getting squashed by The Giant).

Gary Jackson's still kicking around these parts as well; did a lot of prelim matches in the late '80s/early '90s.  He was on the first live wrestling show I ever attended(WWF, March 1993).

I really hate like 97% of all finishers in WWE. Like, I think most would benefit from using a different finish.

There isn't a single finisher in the entire promotion that makes me feel like it matters(OK, maybe the Pop-Up Powerbomb).  I never need to see another spear, downward spiral variation, or a DDT that looks less painful than a regular old DDT.  Is there a reason Ryback's Samoan drop is more devastating than all of the other Samoan drops we see all over Raw?  Seriously, why is his Samoan drop better than the ones used by the Usos', Rusev's, or Roman Reign's Samoan Drops?  Everything about their product is stale as three day old shit, I'm actually afraid to go into the "How Happy are You with the WWE Product," thread.  I feel like I'd start typing and never stop.

Can we talk for a second about the setup for this move?  Owens throws dudes into the ropes completely differently than the normal bullshit "grab the wrist and push their upper back" Irish Whip.  He sort of grabs guys by their head/neck and shoves them.  No idea why he decided to do it differently but the guy is so good at the little things.   I'm seeing more people lately throw guys into the ropes Owens style and it's cool.

Will people lose their shit or completely lose their shit when he pulls out the package piledriver for a special occasion?

Ron Powers has been around since at least the early 90's.  He was a Brody clone at the time.  In fact, I vaguely recall that he actually did a Brody gimmick in PR, which is just the scummiest of the scummy.

From what I understand, he was a legit Brody protege and had a similar look for a while.  He's also said that he was billed by other promoters as Brody's son, so I don't know if that was his call.  STL area was Brody's stomping ground for a while, so the old-school fans in this area love them some Brody.  Several guys out of this area like Jake Dirden and American Viking have obvious influence from Brody.

I'm not really up with current day wrestling but I do like Bray Wyatt's finisher

Has anyone other than Taker and Cena actually ever kicked out of Sister Abigail? I feel like every time he's hit it on someone other than those two, it leads to a pin.

The full content of the NXT Greatest Matches Vol. 1 set has been released:

DISC 1
It Started as a Whisper

Creating the Future

NXT Championship Tournament Final
Seth Rollins vs. Jinder Mahal
NXT • August 29, 2012

WrestleMania 31

No Disqualification Match for the NXT Championship
Seth Rollins vs. Big E Langston
NXT • January 9, 2013

Chris Jericho vs. Bray Wyatt
NXT • May 1, 2013

Women’s Wrestling is Back!

NXT Women’s Championship Tournament Final
Paige vs. Emma
NXT • July 24, 2013

Best 2 Out of 3 Falls Match
Sami Zayn vs. Antonio Cesaro
NXT • August 21, 2013

William Regal vs. Antonio Cesaro
NXT • December 25, 2013

DISC 2
NXT ArRival

Ladder Match for the NXT Championship
Bo Dallas vs. Adrian Neville
NXT ArRival • February 27, 2014

NXT Women’s Championship Tournament Final
Charlotte vs. Natalya
NXT Takeover • May 29, 2014

Tyler Breeze “#MMMGorgeous” Music Video
NXT • June 5, 2014

#WeAreNXT

Sami Zayn vs. Tyson Kidd
NXT • October 16, 2014

NXT Championship Match
Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn
NXT Takeover: REvolution • December 11, 2014

The Four Horsewomen

Fatal Four-Way Match for the NXT Women’s Championship
Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch vs. Bayley
NXT Takeover: Rival • February 11, 2015

DISC 3
Takeover: Rival

NXT Championship Match
Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens
NXT Takeover: Rival • February 11, 2015

The Arnold Classic

Adrian Neville vs. Cesaro
Columbus, OH • March 5, 2015

San Jose

Hideo Itami vs. Tyler Breeze
[Arena Cam] San Jose, CA • March 27, 2015

Six-Person Tag Team Match
Enzo Amore, Colin Cassady & Carmella vs. Blake, Murphy & Alexa Bliss
NXT • June 17, 2015

Beast in the East

NXT Championship Match
Kevin Owens vs. Finn Bálor
Beast in the East • July 4, 2015

Takeover: Brooklyn

NXT Women’s Championship Match
Sasha Banks vs. Bayley
NXT Takeover: Brooklyn • August 22, 2015

Long Live the Dream

Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Tournament Final
Finn Bálor & Samoa Joe vs. Baron Corbin & Rhyno
NXT Takeover: Respect • October 7, 2015

The Future is Now!

BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVES
CM Punk & Seth Rollins vs. Antonio Cesaro & Kassius Ohno
NXT • October 17, 2012

Best 2 Out of 3 Falls Match
Adrian Neville vs. Corey Graves
NXT • November 13, 2013

Bray Wyatt Thanks the NXT Universe
NXT • August 14, 2014

Paige vs. Becky Lynch
[Dark Match] NXT Takeover: Fatal Four Way • September 11, 2014

NXT Women’s Championship Match
Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte
NXT • July 15, 2015

Apollo Crews vs. Tyler Breeze
NXT Takeover: Respect • October 7, 2015

• Like 2

Ron Powers has been around since at least the early 90's.  He was a Brody clone at the time.  In fact, I vaguely recall that he actually did a Brody gimmick in PR, which is just the scummiest of the scummy.

From what I understand, he was a legit Brody protege and had a similar look for a while.  He's also said that he was billed by other promoters as Brody's son, so I don't know if that was his call.  STL area was Brody's stomping ground for a while, so the old-school fans in this area love them some Brody.  Several guys out of this area like Jake Dirden and American Viking have obvious influence from Brody.

Sure, and Nord, and Sylvester Terkay, and Brodie Lee, and doubtless many others besides.  I wasn't blaming Powers for being pushed as Brody 2.0.  It was the scummy promoter I objected to. 

This is something that everyone says pretty consistently. They have some people who can talk, too. Zeb comes to mind. Xavier Woods is great as the mouthpiece for The New Day.

They also have people who I think are under-utilized in that area like Summer Rae. That might roll some eyes, but she is a legitimately good talker and a strong heel presence on the mic. They have her with Tyler Breeze, but they should really have her talking for someone who needs it like a Ryback (and they should just turn Ryback heel because he isn't going to do anything as a face even if they already have too many fucking heels). Enzo is probably also a guy who should manage/do the talking for Cass on the main roster once they spin Cass off into a singles guy like you know is going to happen. 

I miss the '80s and early '90s when all the heels would be banded together as a group of blackguards with a heel manager who helped them with their money and booking dates. We need more Heenan Families and Dangerous Alliances and such. 

Zeb should really be the mouthpiece for the League of Nations. 

Also, when Itami gets better, they should have him come up and join the League of Nations, but then leave it after the other members accuse him of bombing the Nanking Railway plotting against Sheamus for the title. 

This brings to mind some interesting questions. For instance, why is Sheamus tying up so many potential finishers in his moveset? He has a crucifix powerbomb, a chokebreaker, and an air raid crash, and they're all false finishes to set up his running big boot. Why does R-Truth use a suplex stunner and a seated gourdbuster to set up a shitty jumping flatliner? Could Dolph drop his legsweep-less Russian legsweep finisher and just go with the superkick, or would the fact that Alberto Del Rio, Jey Uso, Jimmy Uso, Kevin Owens, Rusev, and Seth Rollins also use superkicks weaken it too much? Is the Shell Shocked a slightly-elevated Samoan drop, or is it the world's gentlest musclebuster?