DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

My mrs theorised at survivor series that Dean Ambrose would sell his soul to Bray Wyatt in return for help winning the WWE Title. It seemed silly at the time but it would've been 10x more interesting than what actually happened.

Anything is 10x more interesting than Sheamus.

• Like 1

I kinda expect Bayley to be called up to the main roster as a female Wyatt Family member.

I wish I was kidding. I'm not. I won't be surprised at all if creative doesn't know what to do with Bayley, tries to think outside the box, and does something completely asinine that kills her (momentum) dead.

I think a brainwashed hot chick is better than a hoss/monster in the wrestling cult stable trope.

Fallen angel > Luna/Lock.

Brainwashed Emma would have looked hot after her main roster failure and her Been Caught Stealing moment.

I think Bayley in the Wyatts would be pretty cool actually. I'd love to see what kind of range she has character-wise and I especially want to see her work heel at least once.

It sounds more appealing than introducing her as face (who only gets about 10% of the heat she currently does because most of the audience hasn't followed her journey) and feuding with the Bellas for 4 months.

I'm a huge Bray Wyatt guy but what has hurt him since day one on the main roster is that he's never successfully "converted" a babyface into a family member. Bryan only lasted a week and Strowman just kinda showed up. They abduct Kane and he just sorta goes missing for a while. Then, two years later, they abduct Taker and he... just sorta goes missing for a while. I'm not saying either should be the guy to turn, but it's just a pattern of crappy creative decisions that could've been way cooler and way more important feeling

Fuck Taker and Kane, Wyatt couldn't even keep THE MIZ abducted.

I'm a huge Bray Wyatt guy but what has hurt him since day one on the main roster is that he's never successfully "converted" a babyface into a family member. Bryan only lasted a week and Strowman just kinda showed up. They abduct Kane and he just sorta goes missing for a while. Then, two years later, they abduct Taker and he... just sorta goes missing for a while. I'm not saying either should be the guy to turn, but it's just a pattern of crappy creative decisions that could've been way cooler and way more important feeling

Fuck Taker and Kane, Wyatt couldn't even keep THE MIZ abducted.

The Miz pulled an MST3K when he was abducted. He happened to have his movies on hand, torturing the Wyatt's with them until they released him.

I also think part of the problem is Bray isn't really allowed to "wrestle" his gimmick much. There is no way he should be anything other then a flat Brawler, and not in the current WWE style of brawler. We need fist fights and blood.

You and a couple of others have gotten really, really close to the problem with Bray's booking. No, he really shouldn't care about winning or losing matches, he should be there for two things only: converts and BRINGING THE VIOLENCE. 90% of his matches should end with him being DQ'd for excessively violent shenanigans. Think Kevin Sullivan as "The Master" in SMW (the template is pretty close actually). Did Sully care about winning matches? No, he cared about carving people up with a spike and generally making a nuisance of himself. That's the sort of stuff Bray should be doing. Ain't no buzzards to be following if you aren't leaving a trail of the bloody and broken in your wake.

There also needs to be more of an emphasis on expanding the "Family". Take over some bland babyface (yes, Dolph Ziggler would do nicely) and turn them swamp monster before our eyes. It needs to be a long-running deal, not something that's resolved in two or three episodes of RAW. The more I think about it, the more perfect a candidate Dolph seems to be... Have him kidnapped and carried out by Brown Shortsstain and keep him off TV for a month. A month is plenty of time to grow out a scruffy beard and come back looking like Moondog Spot jr.

For the gimmick to be meaningful, it has to be someone of Dolph's level and persona. The transformation is thus dramatic and memorable. Adding a female Family member to tempt losing divas to convert would also be aces. Cult leaders expand cults, they don't just randomly show up with one new member a year, that shit doesn't cut it.

If the best use of someone involves Dolph Ziggler appearing on my television more, I would like them released immediately to prevent even the possibility of that happening.

Ivelisse Velez said last year that she was originally planned to portray Sister Abigail with the Wyatts and that they filmed promos for it a week or two before she got released.

Actually, he has one some of his feuds... kinda.

You wanna know how much the WWE gives a shit about someone? Does Bray Wyatt win his feud with you

Hell No: Cena, Reigns, Undertaker

Sure, why not: Bryan, Ambrose

To be fair, while Bray won the last match with Ambrose, Ambrose spent the whole fued pretty much kicking the shit out of Bray.

Not just the last match, but almost all of the matches. Survivor Series Bray won by DQ, TLC Bray wins, Street Fight the week after TLC Bray wins again, blowoff Ambulance match Bray wins again.

I definitely agree with the worst part of the Wyatt's booking being how weak they always end up looking in their feuds.  They don't necessarily have to score the pin every time, but they should be leaving people laying beaten or having to be stretchered out.

The issue I have with them abducting and brainwashing other wrestlers is that it's a foregone conclusion that whomever they bring over is going to end up seeing the light and turning on them.  The only way I can see something like that working is if they were to go after some relatively new wrestler and drag them away before they had time to really come into their own. 

I definitely agree with the worst part of the Wyatt's booking being how weak they always end up looking in their feuds.  They don't necessarily have to score the pin every time, but they should be leaving people laying beaten or having to be stretchered out.

The issue I have with them abducting and brainwashing other wrestlers is that it's a foregone conclusion that whomever they bring over is going to end up seeing the light and turning on them.  The only way I can see something like that working is if they were to go after some relatively new wrestler and drag them away before they had time to really come into their own. 

There is a man out there who has the weight of expectation on his shoulders. A man who has always had to listen to other people tell him who he should be. They told him to change his name - he changed his name. They told him to drink the Kool-Aid - he drank it, but it didn't slake the thirst he felt. He tried to take on another man's identity, only to have it ripped away.

All these years, trying to live up to a legacy of perfection. Trying to be something he wasn't, someone he wasn't - just because of his family. Well, he has a new family now. Follow the buzzards, and witness the beginning... of the genesis... of the birth... of McGillicutty.

• Like 7

On the new Winter Palace podcast:

Scott Bowden talks Tommy Gilbert's career, Hot Stuff, Bock in Memphis, Dream machine. The bruise brothers funeral, koko/bobby and more.

Our Matt D talks Bockwinkel, Dragon Lee v Kamaitachi, Doctor Who, comics and Jessica Jones.

Tinyurl.com/winterep19

• Like 1

Reported from PWinsider.com that ECW cult legend Hack Meyers passed away from complications on a recent brain surgery

One last SHAH for the big guy   :(

That sucks. I met him at an ECW show in 98 or 99 when they were at the War Memorial in Ft. Lauderdale. Very nice dude who signed everything and took pics with everyone. I'm going to have to dig up the pic I have now. I was wearing my Outsiders t-shirt and my buddy had on this really cheesy Shawn Michaels t-shirt and Hack and Ballz Mahoney were giving us some lighthearted shit over it.

I think a female Wyatt would need to be someone not features on NXT yet. Part of what made Strowman a decent pick it that we've not seen him trading wins with Corbin or Cassady on TV, he debuted as an unknown quantity. If they have actually signed Nikki Storm, I can see her pulling it off