DVDVR Message Board

BBC Sports Personality 2015

The Natural

The twelve nominated for BBC Sports Personality of the Year announced today in alphabetical order:

Lizzie Armitstead

Lucy Bronze

Mo Farah

Chris Froome

Tyson Fury

Lewis Hamilton

Jessica Ennis-Hill

Andy Murray

Adam Peaty

Greg Rutherford

Kevin Sinfield

Max Whitlock

This is a competitive year. Usually the shortlist is ten but it was increased by two with Andy Murray and Tyson Fury's achievements this weekend. Ennis-Hill has had second and third places without winning it. I think the drug allegations may hurt Farah's chances.

My go at a top three:

1. Chris Froome

2. Andy Murray

3. Greg Rutherford

Team of the Year and Coach of the Year was sewn up when Team Great Britain won the Davis Cup for the first time in 79 years.

Overseas Personality of the Year is competitive. The public get to vote on the winner for the first time ever. The list:

Usian Bolt

Dan Carter

Novak Djokovic

Katie Ledecky

Jordan Spieth

Serena Williams

Torn between Bolt, Carter and Djokovic. I think I'd go for Carter.

How I think it will go.

Murray. (for that reverse tops spin lob, alone. goddamn what a shot)

Fury. (the local pikey...in a pair of stolen nike's. the travellers will phone up his number and bump his vote. remember, the british public voted phil taylor as runner up SPOTY a few years ago.)

Hamilton. (equalling Senna)

How I want it to go.

Murray. Just for the monotone speech.

Rutherford. Thought he was a blip after 2012. Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

Max Whitlock. Dude is jacked to the gills and a hell of a tumbler.

Team of the year. GB "honest its not just Andy, there're others. like Jamie" Davis Cup team

Legacy / lifetime award has to be Lomu, right?

Foreign - Novak. Imperious year.

Tyson Fury can never win a personality award. I mean, if he was American he'd be able to get away with saying that legalising homosexuality and abortion were equivalent to legalising paedophilia. There'd be people who agreed with that. But in Britain? Not having it.

Plus, Andy Murray won with an outstanding performance. Tyson Fury won one of the most boring fights in Boxing history... and also, he's one of eleven British boxers to hold World titles at the moment. Andy Murray's alone on his hilltop.

Women's footy team probably thought they had team of the year sewn up before this weekend.

Agreed.

From twitter, sounds like some are upset Joe Root didnt get nominated.

I forgot to mention my surprise at Joe Root missing out in my original post. Root should have made it.

Tyson Fury can never win a personality award. I mean, if he was American he'd be able to get away with saying that legalising homosexuality and abortion were equivalent to legalising paedophilia. There'd be people who agreed with that. But in Britain? Not having it.

I don't think you know America very well.

Lewis wins. Shouldn't even be close.

Fox News exists in America, doesn't it? Can't have that in the UK*. The pro-life movement has a voice in the American media, correct? They don't in the UK. They're thought of as a bunch of irrelevant religious lunatics. The Anti-Gay marriage movement in the UK publically insists they have a deep love traditional values but claim they aren't homophobic and have nothing against gay people. Whereas in America, it's all that God Hates Fags bollocks, isn't it?

Formula One has the 'Not a real sport' stigma, has been losing popularity and is generally considered to be a bit of a farce. And you don't win by being the best driver, you win by having the best car.

*You literally can't. It's illegal under British law to have that sort of partisanship in broadcast media.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The winners:

BBC Sports Personality of the Year: Andy Murray. Rugby league star Kevin Sinfield was runner-up, with heptathlete Jessica Ennis-Hill third:

_87313877_vote.png

Lifetime Achievement Award: AP McCoy

Team of the Year: Team GB Davis Cup

Coach of the Year: Michael O'Neill

Overseas Sports Personailty of the Year voted for by the public for the first time: Dan Carter

Helen Rollason Award: Bailey Matthews

Young Sports Personality of the Year: Ellie Downie

Sport's Unsung Hero: Damien Lindsay