DVDVR Message Board

2015-2016 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I have no problem with what he said. What he said is true.  

I agree, that headline is super misleading.  He isn't trying to justify rape, he's stating the fact that college campuses are unfortunately places where drinking, drugs, and youth lead to an environment where the danger of rape is exceedingly high.  Rape is a terrible consequence of the fact that we've somehow made binge drinking and drug experimentation a vital part of the college experience.  If you were to ask the average person their favorite memory of college, odds are it is going to be some story about drinking more than any person should ever drink.  We've all known someone who gets drunk and tries to excuse all of their behavior on the fact that they were drunk.  We've put a bunch of dudes of the age most likely to commit crimes in a place full of drinking and drugs and laughed off their destructive behavior as boys being boys for generations.  The people in charge now are just the people who inherited a broken system.  They are essentially Ray Rice.  They are at the bridge between the time when we thought this type of behavior was something we took for granted to the moment we've decided we've had enough.  Well, we've had enough of this shit, and no matter what any of these people say it is not going to be enough to make up for all the shit that we've piled up over the years.  This dude didn't necessarily say anything wrong, but at this point, nothing he can say would be right.  The dam has broken, and hopefully the flood washes away this bullshit and we get something better...but a lot of people are going to want to rebuild that dam.

• Like 1

Both Nebraska & Michigan State's punters were killed in a car crash yesterday.  They were returning from a kicking camp, lost control of their car and hit a tree.  LSU's placekicker was also in the car, but survived the crash. 

Speaking of Baylor, Deadspin dropped a bomb stating that administration coerced women not to file rape charges under threat of using the student code of conduct against them. 

Which is dangerously close to, if not completely over the line of, the legal definition of obstruction of justice. Shit just got realer. 

On 7/19/2016 at 4:25 PM, supremebve said:

I agree, that headline is super misleading.  He isn't trying to justify rape, he's stating the fact that college campuses are unfortunately places where drinking, drugs, and youth lead to an environment where the danger of rape is exceedingly high.  Rape is a terrible consequence of the fact that we've somehow made binge drinking and drug experimentation a vital part of the college experience.  If you were to ask the average person their favorite memory of college, odds are it is going to be some story about drinking more than any person should ever drink.  We've all known someone who gets drunk and tries to excuse all of their behavior on the fact that they were drunk.  We've put a bunch of dudes of the age most likely to commit crimes in a place full of drinking and drugs and laughed off their destructive behavior as boys being boys for generations.  The people in charge now are just the people who inherited a broken system.  They are essentially Ray Rice.  They are at the bridge between the time when we thought this type of behavior was something we took for granted to the moment we've decided we've had enough.  Well, we've had enough of this shit, and no matter what any of these people say it is not going to be enough to make up for all the shit that we've piled up over the years.  This dude didn't necessarily say anything wrong, but at this point, nothing he can say would be right.  The dam has broken, and hopefully the flood washes away this bullshit and we get something better...but a lot of people are going to want to rebuild that dam.

I understand your point in general, and I think it's important to note the institutional factors at play. That being said, the vast majority of college students are capable of recreational drug use and binge drinking without the activity resulting in rape or sexual assault of any variety. When we make correlations between the youth culture of drinking and the epidemic of college rape, we are (perhaps unintentionally) obfuscating the issue. 

11 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

I understand your point in general, and I think it's important to note the institutional factors at play. That being said, the vast majority of college students are capable of recreational drug use and binge drinking without the activity resulting in rape or sexual assault of any variety. When we make correlations between the youth culture of drinking and the epidemic of college rape, we are (perhaps unintentionally) obfuscating the issue. 

I'm not trying to lessen the culpability of rapists on college campuses.  It doesn't matter how drunk, high, or whatever else is going on, it is never OK to rape someone.  What I'm trying to say is that college campuses are places where sexual predators tend to thrive, and a big part of that is because we laugh off a lot of irresposible behavior as part of the college experience.  Basically what I'm saying is that some people can drink and drive, but that doesn't mean we should condone drinking and driving.  The fact is most people can binge drink and do recreational drugs without raping anyone...but if you are a sexual predator or are around a sexual predator it can't lead anywhere good.  It is kind of like when you hear about a state trying to pass a law so people can take their gun into a bar.  WIll the average person get drunk and shoot someone? Nope.  Does that mean it is a good idea?  Probably not.  

If you haven't seen it yet, Last Chance U on Netflix is an absolute must-see. It's a 6-part documentary series covering the 2015 football season for East Mississippi Community College. They're the top JUCO program in the country and their 2015 season is INSANE.  If you can handle the relentless profanity, you are in for a treat. You'll see fights, insanity, and lots of Auburn QB John Franklin III. 

Seriously, go binge it now. 

I think Franklin may have some kind of personality disorder.

A major news outlet in Alabama reached out to Buddy Stephens to confirm whether the portrayal of JF3 was accurate, and his response was:

"It's pretty revealing on who John is, and what kind of player he is and what kind of person he is," Buddy Stephens said.

Ouch.

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think Franklin may have some kind of personality disorder.

A major news outlet in Alabama reached out to Buddy Stephens to confirm whether the portrayal of JF3 was accurate, and his response was:

"It's pretty revealing on who John is, and what kind of player he is and what kind of person he is," Buddy Stephens said.

Ouch.

I just think he acted like someone who didn't give a single fuck about anything but being able to play well enough to get to another Division I school.  He was cocky as hell, but he was always supportive of the other quarterback, there was never a question about whether or not he was going to class, and his teammates seemed to like him.  Sure he was probably a pain for everyone with any authority, but of all the players on the show he seemed like the most focused on making the best of his opportunity at EMCC.

11 hours ago, Tabe said:

If you haven't seen it yet, Last Chance U on Netflix is an absolute must-see. It's a 6-part documentary series covering the 2015 football season for East Mississippi Community College. They're the top JUCO program in the country and their 2015 season is INSANE.  If you can handle the relentless profanity, you are in for a treat. You'll see fights, insanity, and lots of Auburn QB John Franklin III. 

Seriously, go binge it now. 

You just sold me on it. Sounds like that one documentary that came out years ago about one of the high school football programs in Florida.

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You just sold me on it. Sounds like that one documentary that came out years ago about one of the high school football programs in Florida.

Where the hell were you guys when I brought this up in the TV thread.  Honestly this is the perfect team, with the perfect group of players, the perfect coach, during the perfect season, to address all of the issues that surround college football.  My two biggest issues with the show is that they only focus on a few players, and it is too short.  There are a couple players who are on the screen a lot, but you don't know their names until the "where are they now" section at the end.  They could have probably stretched this out to 8-10 episodes if we learned more about them.  I honestly just wanted more, which is the best thing I can say about a television show.

10 hours ago, supremebve said:

I just think he acted like someone who didn't give a single fuck about anything but being able to play well enough to get to another Division I school.  He was cocky as hell, but he was always supportive of the other quarterback, there was never a question about whether or not he was going to class, and his teammates seemed to like him.  Sure he was probably a pain for everyone with any authority, but of all the players on the show he seemed like the most focused on making the best of his opportunity at EMCC.

He was cutthroat about why he was there but... that's what EMCC is all about. 

I think Stevens is just bent out of shape because Franklin 

called Stevens a racist for his rant after the huge brawl. And pointing out the hypocrisy of Stevens given his own suspension.  

My favorite running joke of the series was Stephens going on cursing rampages and then immeidately segueing into the Lord's Prayer, without so much as taking a breath in between.  I feel like it happened almost every episode.

YOU GUYS ARE A FUCKING BUNCH OF PIECE OF SHIT ASSHOLES Our Father, who art in Heaven...

On 8/5/2016 at 1:21 PM, Brian Fowler said:

So Florida has a title ix sexual assault hearing for a player.

They appointed a lawyer who graduated from Florida and is a football booster to hear the case.....

Best part was the defensive response of the school that it was in no way a conflict of interest. Anyone with an IQ greater than a can of spam can see this is about as obvious a conflict of interest as humanly possible.