DVDVR Message Board

Raz goes frickin' nuts

Raziel

Not to hijack the thread or anything but I watched it last night and you guys were right.  I don't think I expected much though.  Meltzer had said that he looked exposed halfway through his entrance but I disagree with that.  He looked exposed by that god damned regular count and basically jobbing without jobbing.  Bret and Sting looked like geeks but the celebration afterwards was pretty good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

Not to hijack the thread or anything but I watched it last night and you guys were right.  I don't think I expected much though.  Meltzer had said that he looked exposed halfway through his entrance but I disagree with that.  He looked exposed by that god damned regular count and basically jobbing without jobbing.  Bret and Sting looked like geeks but the celebration afterwards was pretty good.

I still remember in '97 watching it with a friend.  We were super hyped to watch the show, and it was the first wrestling PPV I ever watched live.  That match happens and we kept waiting for Sting to mount a comeback after Hogan's endless onslaught.  Then the count happened and our excitement in the match plummeted.  Everything else was a big-time blah moment for us, so the win and celebration meant little.  Watching it recently it was just a sad sign of a crumbling WCW.

Yeah, if ever there was a match that should've been Sting straight up obliterating Hogan for 6 minutes, then winning, it was this.  Instead Hogan at his worst fucked around with things.  If the bat shot happened and and they fast counted it, then yeah, fine.  If they go to the leg drop right after the bat and Bret comes down, then it works.  But the regular count after 6 minutes of Hogan heat, yeah, that was just ass backwards and probably the beginning of the end.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Fuck is 98 such a fucking slog to get through, it's sapping my strength and I'm not even into the shit that was 1999 yet.  It's going to get eaiser once I'm in 2001 and ECW and WCW are dead, but shit, wrestling in the Attitude Era was fucking trash.  I'm on hold for a while because I gotta get up for 99 and 2000.

• 1 month later...

Well... I'm up to Over the Edge 99....

I'm going to watch it, for completion's sake.  But I totally forgot about this coming up until the In Memoriam in the beginning.

On a positive note:  ECW still doesn't hold up well and the UK only PPV's from the late 90's weren't very good.

• 2 months later...

So, I'm chugging along, into 2000...

Souled Out 2000 was such a perfect storm of backstage shit.  I'm also getting amazed at this era of PPV's aren't as bad as I remember.  I mean, there's still some shit, but it's not all terrible.

onto Superbrawl 2000, and the first PPV of Mark Madden, and Jesus Tapdancing Christ how did he get and keep the job, he's fucking terrible.  I'd take modern Coach over this shithead.   Tenay sounds legit pissed he has to put up with this shit, and Tony has gone full into "Don't give a shit anymore" mode.  KISS DEMON SPECIAL MAIN EVENT!

Since I know ECW and WCW are wrapping up by 2001, I've toyed with the idea of getting a GWN sub and watch the TNA PPV's to break up the all WWE run I'm about to run into.  Yeah, I said all the PPV's on the Network, but I might need a break of straight WWE stuff, and there's a lot of PPV era TNA I never watched.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Lord, i've been at this for 3 years now..

I'm wrapping up 2000, which leaves 1 more OG ECW PPV and 3 more WCW PPV's left, although at this point, WCW is just ECW with less f-bombs and more talent.  Really, post-Russo WCW until it's death was just watered down ECW.  At least WWF kept it's core structure.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Finally passed by the deaths of ECW and WCW.  ECW never really changed.  WCW went from that "ECW with a budget" feel and actually started to get it's shit together in the last couple shows.  At the very least, there was a clear direction going forward of where they were going, even if Superbrawl 01 was the Heels win everythign show, they all got their asses kicked at Greed save for Steiner, but the direction that they were bringing Goldberg back to face Steiner was there.

WrestleMania X7 is still the best WrestleMania ever, just everything tied together so well.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone wants to talk about how amazing and progressive toward Women WWE is, I submit King of the Ring 2002 and JR and Lawler's horriffic commentary and constant fat ass and fat jokes on Molly Holly for the entire fucking match.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Anyone wants to talk about how amazing and progressive toward Women WWE is, I submit King of the Ring 2002 and JR and Lawler's horriffic commentary and constant fat ass and fat jokes on Molly Holly for the entire fucking match.

Don't worry. You're only about 18 months away from Eric Bischoff's Battle of the Sexes. 

No Mercy 2002...

Funaki (Smackdown NUMBAH ONE ANNOUNCER!) interviewing AL WILSON!  Ok, I need to just stop here.  I've hit the high water mark, it's never gonna get better than this,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

No Mercy 2002...

Funaki (Smackdown NUMBAH ONE ANNOUNCER!) interviewing AL WILSON!  Ok, I need to just stop here.  I've hit the high water mark, it's never gonna get better than this,

It gets better in this very show. Angle/Benoit v Rey/Edge and that Taker-Brock cell match are a potent one-two punch. 

I legitimately don't remember 2003 WWE being this fucking good (outside of anything involving Triple H, which is actively bad because he was in full 30 minute plodding epic mode)

On 3/22/2019 at 4:12 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Vengeance ‘03 might be a sleeper top ten WWE PPV all time. Especially crazy when you look at two separate McMahon matches. That show has a bit of everything, from sports entertainment silliness to top tier rasslin. 

WGTT / Kidman & Mysterio is so, so, so good.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Fuck, I've been at this for 5 years?  

Anyway, after a long break, due to thing now, I've found my pace and picked back up.  In March of 2005, No Way Out, the SmackDown Only PPV setting up SD's side of Mania 21.  Pretty much the second to last step of Cena's rise as he beats Angle for the shot at Mania, and a pretty inventive ending to the JBL/Big Show cage match, while also teasing that Batista might challenge JBL.  

Added Impact! Plus so I'm also now doing TNA PPV's, so Destination X 2005 is up next.

• Like 3