DVDVR Message Board

Raz goes frickin' nuts

Raziel

So, decided on a little side project for fun, perhaps.  My intention, to watch (and half-assedly review) every major wrestling event available on the WWE Network, in chronological order.  Right now, that list is All JCP/WCW PPV's and Clash of the Champions, all ECW PPV's, and all WWF/WWE PPV's, Saturday Night Main Event's, and NXT Takeovers.  I'll add and go back to Territory supercards (AWA, Mid-South, World Class) if they pop up.  This is nuts, and will take forever, but dammit, I'm gonna do it.

First up, NWA Starrcade 83.

• Like 1

Be more afraid of 96. The high heeled shoe of doom

First half WCW is terrible, but every WCW ppv from June-December of 96 falls somewhere between good and all-time great.

WWF wasn't great overall, but most of their shows were only 2 hours so it's not too hard to get through. Plus Shawn, Foley, and Taker were all working their asses off that year if nothing else.

Hopefully you enjoy WWF attitude era shows, otherwise you might die when you have to watch WCW from 98-01.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I'm halfway too lazy to write reviews for everything, so I figure I'll just toss in comments.

Had a run of time, so I managed to knock off quite a bit and get to 86 (83 and 84 having only 1 2 hour event a piece helped).  

First, there's a ton of difference in presentation between Crockett and Vince.  Crockett was going for sport and Vince was always going for spectacle.  Second, I answered in another thread that Vince had more TV in more places and that led to while Crockett had the superior wrestling product, Vince just had a lot more tv.  What's funny is the thing that Vince got buried by in the 90's, having big matches on regular TV, is what he was using to hurt Crockett in the 80's.  Saturday Night Main Events helped a bit when they started to advance storylines between Mania's.

Booking was also a really weird thing.  Crockett and Dory/Dusty were using the Starrcade's as the blowoff and move ahead show for fueds, with 83 even being a bit of a "changing of the guard" show with phasing out Harley and the Briscoe's for the guys they ran with when JCP caught fire.  Meanwhile, Vince and Monsoon are booking WWF and Mania's as glorified house shows with the booking, saving real blowoffs for MSG or the Gardens instead of TV.  

Also think its cute that Vince did Mania 2 in multiple locations after Crockett did Starrcade 85 in multiple locations, complete with both having massive audio issues.

Finishing up Mania 2, so I'm sitting in 86.

Update:

Running through 87 now.  On the SNME with Savage's face turn.  

Thoughts:

Starrcade 85 is the bloodiest show that's not a Garbage Promotion's Deathmatch Tournament.

The amounts of cocaine running through the locker room in WWF was amazing.  Got both Hogan's "THIS IS WHERE THE POWER LIES" promo and Savage's "Danger Zone" promo.  Add in pretty much everything Piper ever did and I'm convinced WWF and the New York Mets accounted for 90% of Columba's GNP in the mid 80's.

Watching the old SNME's, and man, you can completly tell where the "faces are assholes" run that the WWE is on now.  Vince was absolutly over the top on the "Cheering on faces that cheat and act like heels" stuff.  Jesse was glorious in calling Vince on that shit, but man, he was cheering on Jake attacking ref's for no reason, acting indignant when heels won clean, its just odd.

I wonder what Steamboat's career trajectory would've been had he not taken time off for Richie's birth.  

The scaffold match at Starrcade 86 was an incredibilly bad idea.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update, half way into 88.  Currently watching Bash 88.  Holy shit that Sting/Nikita vs. Arn/Tully match was fucking fun.  Finally getting into multiple JCP shows with multiple PPV's and now Clash's starting along with more WWF PPV's, so its going to start taking longer to get through a year, but getting a variety instead of a lot of WWF with 2 and half hours of JCP is a nice switch up.

Man, the Bunkhouse Stampede was not a great idea.

• Like 1

Update, half way into 88.  Currently watching Bash 88.  Holy shit that Sting/Nikita vs. Arn/Tully match was fucking fun.  Finally getting into multiple JCP shows with multiple PPV's and now Clash's starting along with more WWF PPV's, so its going to start taking longer to get through a year, but getting a variety instead of a lot of WWF with 2 and half hours of JCP is a nice switch up.

Man, the Bunkhouse Stampede was not a great idea.

One of my fav events, Bash 88. Love that opening tag and the main event with the pops for the almost wins for the faces in both matches.

• 4 months later...

Still crawling along.  Haven't given this up.  I'm actually up to 91, starting with Rumble.  WCW is starting to crank out Clashes and PPV's nearly every month now, and WWF is almost on the SNME break.  

Rumble 91 has an amazing opening 3 segments with Rockers/Orient Express, Sherri trying to kick start the Attitude Era 6 years early by suggesting to blow Warrior so Savage gets a Title Shot, and Bossman/Barbarian.  

Having gone through 90, the Black Scorpion shit was just bad bad bad.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fall Brawl 93, end of the Cactus amnesia angle.

Cactus was fucking OVER in 93, and cut an amazing promo in that recap video.

How did a full on 60's  Yellow Menace character in Yoshi Kwan make it past Turner S&P?

• 4 months later...

Trucking along, at Summerslam 96, 

If this project has done anything, it's really soured me on Shawn Michaels due to how much of a petutlant little unprofessional shit he was.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Still running through this, somehow.

I post now, because I'm about to roll into the beginning of the Vaunted Attitude Era.  I'm in November 97, and I'm about to watch Survivor Series, and it's Montreal.

Now one big observation I've had.  Up to this point, WCW/JCP was to this point *always* better, far as in-ring action.  That's not to say that WWF didn't have good matches and shows, it most certinally did, but WCW/JCP far and away blew WWF out of the water with in ring action, even with the bloated roster from 96 on, even with the nWo and Hogan's cronies clogging up the upper card, there was enough up and down that no show actually sucked.  Now, let's see if that holds up.

Another observation, ECW, as much as I loved it during it's run, does not hold up at all.  It needs the whole experience, and the context of the angles going on around it.

On 2/22/2017 at 1:21 PM, Raziel403 said:

There was never such a fucking clusterfuck fuckup of what was a no brainer than the end of Starrcade 97.  Holy shit I forgot just how fucked it was.

I'm almost up to that on my Nitro/PPV watching.  Sting is so awesome leading up to it and I just got up to Bret's first appearance last night with a very giddy J.J. Dillon trying to stick it to Bischoff.  I actually kinda forget how the Sting/Hulk match ended so it should be fun to watch it again for me.

22 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

I actually kinda forget how the Sting/Hulk match ended so it should be fun to watch it again for me.

As somebody that saw this again not too long ago, prepare for a world of disappointment.