DVDVR Message Board

NCAA 2015: WEEK 13

RIPPA

Pat Forde is now reporting that LSU is "prepared" to fire Miles, and the "staggering" buyout won't deter them, but they haven't decided yet whether or not to pull the plug on the Miles era.

So, if you trust Forde, Les is coaching for his job at best. Or course, a buyout rumored to be around $17 million bucks did any sympathy one might have the the Hatter.

Hm... If that hastens, Texas has a better instate talent base and more money, but nowhere near the talent on hand... The right coach might win the national title at LSU next year.

Someone might make a joke about Urban Meyer having "heart problems" right about now.

That person would not be me.  Nosir.

I would say Texas if Strong leaves for Miami (it's been rumored Texas might nudge him in that direction right?)

There are certainly factions within the big donor pool who keep stirring that pot in the media, for sure.

A lot of LSU beat writers are saying Les's firing is a done deal, and that says a lot, because they're the guys who would have to face Les on a daily basis to do their jobs if they're wrong after sticking their necks out on this.

Which is just...wow. What a reactionary, short-sighted move.

Next year, LSU could return as many as 18(!) starters from this year's team. Fournette will be back for his last year, behind on OL that will only lose one SR lineman. The young QB will have a year's worth of experience under his belt. They get Alabama, as well as Ole Miss, AT HOME. All the pieces are in place for them to win big. With Les returning, they will be the prohibitive favorite to win the SEC and a consensus playoff team.

The moment you fire Les, you throw all of that into upheaval. As rough as the last couple of weeks for LSU have been, you haven't heard any LSU players chirping in the media against him (*coughUrbcough*). They love him, and the next guy will have a hard time winning them over. A *LOT* more underclassmen will declare early if Les is gone, you can count on that. And a new coach means new schemes, which is not always a smooth transition and could set back the QB they're trying to bring along. Who knows, maybe it even tips Fournette in favor of sitting next season out.

To me, it makes more sense to give Les next season as rope to hang himself - win a championship or go home - because that is your best chance at winning something in 2016.

And keep in mind, last time Les posted back to back sub-10 win seasons (in 08 and 09), he came back with 4 10+ win seasons in a row. In 2010, a guy named Cam Newton is the only thing that kept them from playing for an SEC, and likealy, a national title. And in 2011, they would've won the whole shebang if they could've played anybody but Alabama in the title game.

Well, they might likely have first or second choice of the entire pool of candidates.

Man, Maryland's whole firing early to get a leg up on the coaching search thing isn't panning out that well on paper.

A lot of LSU beat writers are saying Les's firing is a done deal, and that says a lot, because they're the guys who would have to face Les on a daily basis to do their jobs if they're wrong after sticking their necks out on this.

Which is just...wow. What a reactionary, short-sighted move.

Next year, LSU could return as many as 18(!) starters from this year's team. Fournette will be back for his last year, behind on OL that will only lose one SR lineman. The young QB will have a year's worth of experience under his belt. They get Alabama, as well as Ole Miss, AT HOME. All the pieces are in place for them to win big. With Les returning, they will be the prohibitive favorite to win the SEC and a consensus playoff team.

The moment you fire Les, you throw all of that into upheaval. As rough as the last couple of weeks for LSU have been, you haven't heard any LSU players chirping in the media against him (*coughUrbcough*). They love him, and the next guy will have a hard time winning them over. A *LOT* more underclassmen will declare early if Les is gone, you can count on that. And a new coach means new schemes, which is not always a smooth transition and could set back the QB they're trying to bring along. Who knows, maybe it even tips Fournette in favor of sitting next season out.

To me, it makes more sense to give Les next season as rope to hang himself - win a championship or go home - because that is your best chance at winning something in 2016.

And keep in mind, last time Les posted back to back sub-10 win seasons (in 08 and 09), he came back with 4 10+ win seasons in a row. In 2010, a guy named Cam Newton is the only thing that kept them from playing for an SEC, and likealy, a national title. And in 2011, they would've won the whole shebang if they could've played anybody but Alabama in the title game.

I've seen rumors on Texas boards that the big money guys have wanted Les gone for a while and feel like a) he's vulnerable now because he keeps losing to the big rivals and b) he can't win with the insane talent he's constantly acquiring, but maybe someone else can. Also rumblings that they wouldn't make a move on Les without already having someone lined up, and that someone may be Jimbo Fisher.

Predictions on the top 4? Before seeing the end of the Oklahoma game, I was thinking Clemson, Alabama, Michigan State and Oklahoma.

Now I'm thinking Notre Dame could stay ranked 4th. So Clemson, Alabama, Michigan State and ND. I would be surprised if Iowa cracked the top 4 given their schedule.

I'm still wondering though, if Navy and/or Clemson loses, and ND wins by more than a touchdown on Saturday against Stanford, do they stay in the top 4? 

Les Miles is about to play NFL Let's Make a Deal.

Option 1: Tennessee Titans

Option 2: Detroit Lions

Option 3: The Box

*Les picks the box!*

Inside the box is...coiled up dog crap. Congratulations, you get to coach the Browns.

Les is a college coach all the way. He would get laughed out of the league trying to run his pitch dive offense.

He will have his pick of the available college jobs, though, if he really wants to jump straight into another job. But the new template seems to be for all these guys to take at least a year off and do TV and recharge their batteries before taking a new gig. ESPN will probably have the first call into his agent the moment he's fired, if they haven't already.

Predictions on the top 4? Before seeing the end of the Oklahoma game, I was thinking Clemson, Alabama, Michigan State and Oklahoma.

Now I'm thinking Notre Dame could stay ranked 4th. So Clemson, Alabama, Michigan State and ND. I would be surprised if Iowa cracked the top 4 given their schedule.

I'm still wondering though, if Navy and/or Clemson loses, and ND wins by more than a touchdown on Saturday against Stanford, do they stay in the top 4?

Iowa is a lock if they win out.