DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 79: Henderson vs. Masvidal (11/28/2015) - Seoul, South Korea (Olympic Gymnastics Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Seoul_Henderson_vs._Masv

UFC Fight Night 79: Henderson vs. Masvidal

November 28, 2015

Seoul, South Korea (Olympic Gymnastics Arena)

Benson Henderson (170) vs. Jorge Masvidal (170) - Henderson, DEC (split)

Dong Hyun Kim (171) vs. Dominic Waters (170) - Kim, TKO (punches), R1 (3:11)

Yoshihiro Akiyama (170) vs. Alberto Mina (171) - Mina, DEC (split)

Doo Ho Choi (146) vs. Sam Sicilia (146) - Choi, KO (punches), R1 (1:33)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Dongi Yang (186) vs. Jake Collier (185) - Yang, TKO (punches), R2 (1:50)

Yui Chul Nam (146) vs. Mike De La Torre (146) - De La Torre, DEC (split)

Tae Hyun Bang (156) vs. Leo Kuntz (156) - Bang, DEC (split)

Seo Hee Ham (115) vs. Cortney Casey (116) - Ham, DEC (unanimous)

Zhikui Yao (126) vs. Fredy Serrano (125) - Serrano, TKO (injury), R1 (0:44)

Guangyou Ning (134) vs. Marco Beltrán (136) - Beltrán, DEC (split)

Dominique Steele (171) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (170) - Steele, KO (slam and elbows), R3 (0:27)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Dominique Steele
Performance of the Night:  Doo Ho Choi

Fight of the Night: Seo Hee Ham vs. Cortney Casey

Attendance: 12,156

Cancelled Bouts:

Hyun Gyu Lim vs. Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos - Bout Nixed

Benson Henderson vs. Thiago Alves - Injury to Alves (Broken Rib)

Mirko Filipović vs. Anthony Hamilton - Filipović Failed USADA Drug Test

Dong Hyun Kim vs. Jorge Masvidal - Masvidal Moved to Main Event

Hyun Gyu Lim vs. Dominique Steele - injury to Lim

So...going by Greg Savage, Bendo is leaving after this fight? 

Posted this a few times over the last few months at least, but Savage has been beating that drum for a minute. Botter has been saying it as well, but I saw tonight that Botter talked to him and he was very unclear (on whether it is his last fight on his current deal) other than why not be a free agent.  So I am thinking he wants to see what happens in the Masvidal fight.

I mean Thomson was clearly not a Zuffa aligned guy from the get go and is on the downside of his career. It also didn't help that he was anything but impressive (other than toughness) against Tony Ferguson. So yeah, I can see why the UFC was not too mad to see him go.

On the other hand, if the UFC has to right to match for Benson, I can see them offering him something to stay especially if he wins an entertaining fight. However, I don't think anyone is going to get into a bidding war over Benson Henderson.

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani 40s

Have confirmed what @jeremybotter, @bokamotoESPN + others have reported: Sat.'s fight is the last on Benson Henderson's current contract.

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani 51s

That, IMO, makes this Fight Pass main event one of the more intriguing ones in a while. A win sets Henderson up very well for 2016.

Not saying you want to break the bank to keep Henderson, but you should try and make sure he's happy when he becomes a free agent.  He can be a valuable asset to both lightweight and welterweight and he generally does good numbers on FS1.

Weird thing about UFC is that we've seen quite a few "main eventers" cash in and start to rake in the money only after they've really peaked in terms of their fight careers.  

Not saying you want to break the bank to keep Henderson, but you should try and make sure he's happy when he becomes a free agent.  He can be a valuable asset to both lightweight and welterweight and he generally does good numbers on FS1.

Weird thing about UFC is that we've seen quite a few "main eventers" cash in and start to rake in the money only after they've really peaked in terms of their fight careers.  

The fact that he usually does well (other than the RDA fight IIRC) on FS1 is a big plus for them seeing as they don't have that many stars they can transition back and forth between the FS1 tier to PPV. Now how many guys can you do that with those two platforms AND Fight Pass? I mean Mirko was kinda, but his UFC tenure is pretty much over for good and he was only really over big with hardcores. If you're not Ronda, Conor, and a handful of other people, casual fans really don't give a shit even if you fought in PRIDE. The days of that really mattering are over. However, it is important to have familiar faces around so some of these paint-by-numbers on paper events don't tank. Hell, I believe the Monterrey card would have fell into the 550k-650k avg range if they didn't have a Diego Sanchez on there. People may tune in. They might not either, but you still want to at least try to have some incentive to watch.

• Like 1

I will say it. Hendo is way too small for welterweight. I get that it is his natural weight and cutting weight sucks, but when he was facing Thatch, Hendo who is usually a terrific striker in Lightweight, was being thoroughly outclassed standing up striking. It is not say that Thatch is terrible or pedestrian in striking. But Hendo obviously had range issues and had to play the Edgar game get in and out. I love watching Henderson fight but he needs to recognize that his shelf life in Welterweight is short.

I will say it. Hendo is way too small for welterweight. I get that it is his natural weight and cutting weight sucks, but when he was facing Thatch, Hendo who is usually a terrific striker in Lightweight, was being thoroughly outclassed standing up striking. It is not say that Thatch is terrible or pedestrian in striking. But Hendo obviously had range issues and had to play the Edgar game get in and out. I love watching Henderson fight but he needs to recognize that his shelf life in Welterweight is short.

I think if it was Bellator, he could probably do no worse than fight for the belt. Once you get past the Lima/Koreshkov/Daley class and Michael Page, it is super thin. If I am Bellator, there is no way I put a legitimate top ten lightweight against a welterweight who hasn't fought anyone of significance in Page. The money would be in Henderson/Thomson II or Henderson/Brooks or Henderson/Chandler. I could see that being a possible sticking point (if he wants to be at 170) because the UFC hasn't exactly forced him back down to lightweight as much they probably want to.

Also, as much as I love Bendo and defended him vehemently in the past on here, I have to say his style might not be the most pleasant for the Bellator brass. They signed Phil Davis, but that's probably because their LHW division is super garbage (in terms of talent and name recognition) beyond 3 or 4 people. There is a reason why Ben Askren is in One FC and not defending his Bellator title anymore. Hence, why I just don't see a bidding war breaking out.

But yeah, Benson being at 170 in the UFC is still a sketchy proposition. That's relying on him having a bunch of consistent performances against bigger opponents when he has had notoriously hot and cold streaks (counting the close wins) in Zuffa.

I dunno, I wouldn't say Thatch thoroughly outclassed him in the striking.  Not to mention he was fighting one of the bigger guys at welterweight who was the favorite to win.

I dunno, I wouldn't say Thatch thoroughly outclassed him in the striking.  Not to mention he was fighting one of the bigger guys at welterweight who was the favorite to win.

Thatch was not sweating Henderson striking. The first round Hendo got some good shots in, but it clear that he was not hurting Thatch. 2nd round, it was clear standing with a decent Muay Thai fighter was not going to end well for end especially after Thatch started using his clear power advantage and using Muay Thai throwdowns(took him down twice). It was when Hendo started grappling Thatch and taking him down is when he evened the odds. And Thatch may a big Welterweight, but he is pretty standard in length which is going to be a problem when Hendo eventually faces a faster fighter. 

I like Henderson, but watching that Thatch fight, his stand-up was not as effective as it usually is against guys not named Pettis. Sure, he is faster than most Welterweights, but most Welterweights strike faster and more crisp than Thatch and is going to have some issues when one eventually faces Hendo in the Octagon. If he goes to Bellator, he needs to reconsider Lightweight. If the Welterweight division is as weak as Elsalvejeleco says, then yeah, good for Hendo. But if he stays in the UFC, he is not going to last long.

Benson has always struggled with activity. Sometimes, you get someone who can stay in with the best of them. Then, you get the guy who chooses to get his hair out of the way instead of throwing strikes. Some of that is probably that he knows he is going 5 rounds most of the time. 

If he can have a certain fight against Masvidal, he should win soundly. However, I do see a possibility where he is just outgunned for 25 minutes and loses 49-46 or 48-47 3x.

Then complains about the scoring.

Bendo's had fights when the scoring could have gone either way. I'm thinking back to Bendo vs. Cerrone I, vs. Edgar II, Melendez and Thompson. Thought the second Edgar fight was the worst but haven't seen the fight since it went down. Gave it to Frankie 49-46.

Both he and Frankie try to win by points. They have to take the decisions how they come. If they don't like decisions, try to finish an actual fight. I like both fighters but their safety-first style can be a bit much at times.

Both he and Frankie try to win by points. They have to take the decisions how they come. If they don't like decisions, try to finish an actual fight. I like both fighters but their safety-first style can be a bit much at times.

To be fair, Edgar beat the sweet bejesus out of Penn and Swanson.