DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series 11/22/2015 thread in case Rippa forgets.

Ryan

They need to have Dean be the babyface loyal friend to die first so Roman can avenge him.  The problem with that is that it only works if the babyface loyal friend is foolishly charging into a situation that is bound to get him killed. 

As you requested, from a podcast interview:

I was putting ice on my swollen head. I was just giving the ring to my brother after a war, you know? It was a sabotage! It was a hit! It just happened. But that's the thing, man. I was just talking about this: These briefcases are ruining the tradition of our industry. What would Jack Briscoe, Dory Funk... you think Dory Funk Jr. ever cashed in a briefcase on somebody? This is not how men won championships. This is not the foundation that our business was built on. Pat Patterson battled through 16 men on one hot, sweaty night in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to become the Intercontinental champion. He was backstage last night, probably with a tear in his eye, probably disgusted that a man would just jump a man who had already wrestled twice that night and sabotaged his way to a championship. How can you be proud of that? How can you be proud? These briefcases... I hate the whole briefcase thing. This man is not a champion, a man's champion of men, this Irish punk.

What I have done -- this has nothing to do with the WWE championship, this is a matter of principle. This is a matter of righting a wrong. When I see Pat Patterson in tears that his business has been reduced to men cashing in briefcases, I feel like I have to do something. So I have challenged Sheamus tonight at 2 p.m. in the parking lot of the Bridgestone Arena. Get your tickets to Monday Night Raw but show up early. I will be in the parking lot of Bridgestone Arena at 2 p.m. People of Nashville, spread the word!

Who's booking our flights to see this?

So in what way will Reigns get screwed tonight or TLC in his contractually obligated rematch

HHH makes a fatal four-way Limerick on a Pole match.  Becky Lynch wins.

I am perfectly happy with Becky Lynch holding the WWE WHC. She's my #2 for that title only behind Reigns.

They need to have Dean be the babyface loyal friend to die first so Roman can avenge him.  The problem with that is that it only works if the babyface loyal friend is foolishly charging into a situation that is bound to get him killed. 

As you requested, from a podcast interview:

I was putting ice on my swollen head. I was just giving the ring to my brother after a war, you know? It was a sabotage! It was a hit! It just happened. But that's the thing, man. I was just talking about this: These briefcases are ruining the tradition of our industry. What would Jack Briscoe, Dory Funk... you think Dory Funk Jr. ever cashed in a briefcase on somebody? This is not how men won championships. This is not the foundation that our business was built on. Pat Patterson battled through 16 men on one hot, sweaty night in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to become the Intercontinental champion. He was backstage last night, probably with a tear in his eye, probably disgusted that a man would just jump a man who had already wrestled twice that night and sabotaged his way to a championship. How can you be proud of that? How can you be proud? These briefcases... I hate the whole briefcase thing. This man is not a champion, a man's champion of men, this Irish punk.

What I have done -- this has nothing to do with the WWE championship, this is a matter of principle. This is a matter of righting a wrong. When I see Pat Patterson in tears that his business has been reduced to men cashing in briefcases, I feel like I have to do something. So I have challenged Sheamus tonight at 2 p.m. in the parking lot of the Bridgestone Arena. Get your tickets to Monday Night Raw but show up early. I will be in the parking lot of Bridgestone Arena at 2 p.m. People of Nashville, spread the word!

Who's booking our flights to see this?

Holy shit, that's beautiful. Why...WHY was that not video recorded?

The more hands off the writing is, the better chance you get stuff like the above. But it's either on the website or youtube channel that nobody but die hard fans frequent anyway. Such a ridiculously run company. I don't know how much longer New Day's antics can keep me watching even just the PPVs at this stage.

I keenly remember Dean on Jericho's podcast and he mentioned he has  yet to be satisfied with a promo he's cut in WWE because of all the branding/jargon shit he has to either use or dance around. The above reads so incredibly well but we didn't even see it. It's so obtuse and I hope the ratings keep dropping until they realize there's a need for a serious change at the top.

Those wwe.com promos make me sad.  There are so many good things going on that never hits the stage.  Reigns' off the cuff comments are really good, Ambrose is allowed to be full-on Hobo with a Shotgun, New Day is even more hilarious.  Team B.A.D's insta-videos are fantastic.  But unless you're really into all this, you wouldn't know it.

• Like 1

The Ambrose promo after Steph was sent to jail about him knowing guys and saying he'd send Sneaky Pete her number if she needed a good lawyer was gold. Ambrose Unfiltered would be the biggest thing ever but until he has the balls Punk had to basically rip up whatever script he's handed and tell them he's going to say what he wants, he's never going to get over like he should.

I don't hate the writers because the Attitude era showed you can take mediocre guys and make people care about them by giving them a character but what aggravates me is when you have a guy like Dean who CLEARLY needs zero help, just leave him the fuck alone. But I guess the danger is if the main eventers don't need writers, then Vince may decide nobody does.

His point was that heel Stone Cold Steve Austin was a loud mouth redneck who loved kicking people's ass, didn't have friends and didn't trust anybody. When he got over with that character, he didn't change it (much) after he turned face.

Thanks and I love Nature Boy too so have yourself a like, Jack.

can't believe Cole actually said Sheamus needed to "cash his briefcase in to get a new personality" during the tag match

my household's reaction was pretty much in the THEY'VE KILLED IM AS GOD AS MY WITNESS HE IS BROKEN IN HALF range

it was doubly poignant already knowing the result of the main

wonder if Reigns can claim he's still champion because his shoulders were not technically pinned to the mat but to $14 million of confetti

So if Rollins hadn't gotten injured, what would the original plan for the show have been?

Would Reigns have gone over Rollins, then still been beaten by Seamus right away?  

If so, would that bit with HHH coming out to congratulate Regins and getting speared still have happened, leading to Seamus seemingly being recruited into (or at least endorsed by) the Authority? What happens to Rollins if he were to lose the belt, does he get booted out of the Authority because he can't get the job done?

That was the plan no matter what because the WWE has this obsession with a heel champion and putting over HHH/Steph to the point nobody on the roster can get built up to Main Event level, except for Cena.

Wyatt, Ziggler (remember last years Survivor Series), Reigns, Ambrose (getting made when he was put through cinderblocks), etc.

Nobody is allowed to steal the heat from HHH/Steph.  So we get HHH's lifting buddy, Sheamus as champ.  

Lucha Underground cannot start soon enough.

Basically your point makes no sense.

My point makes perfect sense when you consider that I was speaking on WWE babyfaces and when Austin turned in '97. I wasn't talking about Stunning Steve lmao

And you apply it to Cena, whose time in his current character has been longer than the time between Stunning Steve and Mania 19.

can't believe Cole actually said Sheamus needed to "cash his briefcase in to get a new personality" during the tag match

I can't imagine Cole knew ahead of time about the title switch.  Knowing Vince, he fed him that line, in order to fool people, along with Sheamus losing.

And you apply it to Cena, whose time in his current character has been longer than the time between Stunning Steve and Mania 19.

About Cena, there may have been several reasons a portion of the audience turned on him but I always felt the main reason was because he went away from the hip-hop throwback rapper gimmick that got him over and started doing the Marine/salute stuff and got really bland.

The last wrestling shirts I ever bought were in 2003: the Matt Hardy V1 shirt, and the John Cena WW block logo "Word Life" shirt. He didn't get awful for a little while after that, but HHH as Raw champ was sort of turning me off by that point anyway, along with all the usual trappings of moving into the second half of one's teenage years