DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series 11/22/2015 thread in case Rippa forgets.

Ryan

Am I nuts or was Roman receiving huge face reactions when he was in The Shield and they were feuding with Evolution and the Wyatts?   He was a cocky and arrogant dude but a man of few words. He let his actions do the talking. 

To me that was the recipe for his success. Then they went away from that and put him in a position to fail. It also didn't help that they put Bryan against him in the Rumble and lead up to Mania.

• Like 1

What's scary is that even with that wacky ending, they can *still* make something of it.  Just have Reigns spear the snot out of everyone in his path and cut a short promo to the effect of "I tried to play within the rules.  I tried to make fans happy. But that clearly doesn't work around here.  So to hell with those rules, but I'm not kissing the Authority's ass, either.  From now on, I'll do whatever it takes to get what I want.  HHH and you bastards sitting on your sorry asses in this arena can shove it in your ear."  Mic drop. 

Update on Decision to Make Sheamus WWE Champion

According to Dave Meltzer on “Wrestling Observer Radio,” the decision to make Sheamus the champion last night was decided upon just hours before the show. The reason the company did not want to make Reigns the Champion is because they did not want the fans to boo him as the Champion and believes the crowd would cheer for him while booing Sheamus as the Champion.

Credit Dave Meltzer, Wrestling Observer Radio

Stupid. So why make Reigns champion in the first place?  Why not have Cesaro upset him or have Reigns get screwed over in the semis or something?   It takes away any real meaning it would have had as Reigns has already climbed the mountain and become champion. He's no longer on the rise. He's reached the top. Fucking stupid.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around just how obtuse Vince and the rest of the writing staff is. We're going to push Roman to the moon, but because how the audience is reacting to him, we're going to audible into Rollins cashing in and winning the title.

7 months later...

We still don't want fans to boo Roman when he wins the title, so we're going to have Sheamus win it and Roman will eventually win the title and will be cheered for it.

They're worried about the fan response to him without even being aware of why that's happening. Look at why Brock is so goddamn over. Or even Ambrose. They're not doing cutesy shit. I posted a couple videos in the general wrestling thread of the Shield/Wyatts confrontation from 2013 and 2014. That's how you book Roman if you don't want to worry about the fans booing him.

INSTEAD, they think the way to make the fans not boo him is to cut lame ass promos and make it look so blatantly obvious he's getting shoved down people's throats.

Unless Roman takes the CM Punk route and develops a backbone and fuck you attitude, this shit isn't going to change.

• Like 2

Booking is wacky across the board (DIVAS REVOLUTION! WHERE NO ONE HAS A CLEAR ALIGNMENT!), but it's really perplexing with Reigns.  Hell, he's the easiest guy to book for.  Comes out, kicks ass, short solo promos, longer conversational promos when needed, go home.

Thing is this, though--I've read in some places where someone says "Reigns needs to turn heel so I can cheer him!"  WTF? How does that statement even make sense? In some measure, fans brought this on ourselves.  We try to outsmart those who create the shows, and coupled with flaky booking, here we are.

• Like 1

Austin changed plenty.

At his core Austin was a beer drinkin shit-talkin redneck snake in the grass who would stun me, you, his best friend, whoever was in the way of him and the WWF championship. That was him in 1997. That was him in 1998. That was him in 1999.  He wasn't officially a face until the double turn right.

Update on Decision to Make Sheamus WWE Champion

According to Dave Meltzer on “Wrestling Observer Radio,” the decision to make Sheamus the champion last night was decided upon just hours before the show. The reason the company did not want to make Reigns the Champion is because they did not want the fans to boo him as the Champion and believes the crowd would cheer for him while booing Sheamus as the Champion.

Credit Dave Meltzer, Wrestling Observer Radio

Yes I'm sure this will result in loud heat for Sheamus as well as loud pops for Roman from now on and not dead silence, or worse yet, "boring" chants.

I really enjoyed ADR v. Reigns. Since ADR has been back he's been a breath of fresh air and Roman has grown on me as a worker. 

Ambrose v. Owens was fun too. 

WWEs insistence on pushing Reigns to the moon and flirting with giving him the title has got to stop. Either do it or don't. Why must so many other wrestlers be sacrificed for his push if WWE doesn't have the faith to put the belt on him?

Why did Cesaro, ADR and Ambrose all have to be beaten clean? It served no purpose.

The Sheamus cash in was both unpopular and uninspired. Sheamus is one of those guys I'd love see disappear for a while from the WWE system and get his edge back. 

Austin changed plenty.

At his core Austin was a beer drinkin shit-talkin redneck snake in the grass who would stun me, you, his best friend, whoever was in the way of him and the WWF championship. That was him in 1997. That was him in 1998. That was him in 1999.  He wasn't officially a face until the double turn right.

And before that he was a strong, silent type, and before that a cocky, arrogant pretty-boy. Later he'd be a singin, guitar-playin McMahon hireling, and a guy who wouldn't finish a sentence without saying What?

He changed his work to accommodate his injuries, changed his character repeatedly, especially when he thought his old character was getting stale. All in less time than Cena has been his current character.

Basically your point makes no sense.

• Like 1

It was cute that Dean said he had to beat Roman to pay the bills, when we all know Dean is just a homeless drifter that sleeps in cars that he steals.

"Pay the Bills." 

Dean has figured out that in nearly every town there is a guy named Bill who sells leftover chicken grease chunks out of the back of a local Church's.  There's two ways to pay him and Dean also figured out that "money is the easier one."

Note: Thanks to Roman, last night was a "hard way chicken grease" night for Dean.

• Like 4

Austin changed plenty.

And before that he was a strong, silent type, and before that a cocky, arrogant pretty-boy. Later he'd be a singin, guitar-playin McMahon hireling, and a guy who wouldn't finish a sentence without saying What?

He changed his work to accommodate his injuries, changed his character repeatedly, especially when he thought his old character was getting stale. All in less time than Cena has been his current character.

Basically your point makes no sense.

His point was that heel Stone Cold Steve Austin was a loud mouth redneck who loved kicking people's ass, didn't have friends and didn't trust anybody. When he got over with that character, he didn't change it (much) after he turned face.

• Like 1

How does Dolph go from wrestling epics with Rusev to jobbing to Tyler Breeze?  NVM obviously because of his shitty fashion sense.

I love how Eric described it on Segunda. 

Ziggler has an updated look on mid 90s cruising attire Shawn Michaels. Even has those same awful boots. Kenny Omega douche hair + Shawn Michael lube guy at the fisting station gear = profit?

Few random thoughts:

-Apparently the reason Titus was in the pre-show match solo was as an injury replacement for Cesaro.

-Dolph's descended into complete self-parody at this point.

-One thing I liked about the cash-in was that Sheamus was just THERE. No telegraph, no music. At least they got that right for once.

They need to have Dean be the babyface loyal friend to die first so Roman can avenge him.  The problem with that is that it only works if the babyface loyal friend is foolishly charging into a situation that is bound to get him killed.  And in this case, no one has any reason to think Dean can't beat Sheamus eight days a week and it would be really bizarre if he was suddenly a monster again after being a stooge less than 24 hours ago.

So, that means a new authority stable is needed to be a real threat...which means....ohfuckitmeansOldNitrosHereICome.

What's the reason Brock can't just be the unbeatable monster champ right now again?