DVDVR Message Board

5 Guys I Loved Late

RIPPA

Good start.  Looking forward to more articles in the series.

I guess these are my five:

1) Mick Foley / Cactus Jack

2) Mr. Gannosuke

3) Dr. Wagner Jr.

4) James Storm

5) Prince Davitt (Finn Balor)

Off the top of my head, the only Judy Martin I've seen is Glamour Girls vs. Jumping Bomb Angels and the Rumble match with Rockin Robin.

Now I'm curious. I do know her and Kai did excellent work grounding and Bomb Angels and then taking all the (by late 80's WWF standards) absurdly high end offense.

I'd rather comment on Phil's choices than mention my own.

I'm still not high on Harley. While I think the critique of "1980 Kurt Angle" isn't entirely fair, I think he gives far too much of his title matches to his opponent. There's a difference between making your opponent shine and giving so much of the match that there's never really a narrative threat. I understand that there's a level of vulnerability that draws in a heel champ, but that's not what I want out of Race. I am higher on his 80s Japanese Brawls, especially some of the footage we've seen recently, but not vs Brody/Hansen. He's definitely more interesting when up against a heel (the Gino match was fascinating for instance). Some of the others, though. In general, I'm rarely going to be excited about a new Harley match relative to new matches from other wrestlers though.

Man, I don't see how someone couldn't love Eaton from the get go. I have a weird fandom with him though, as I first encountered him as a babyface in 1991 (and my inclinations were always towards the TV title as opposed to the bigger belts), so when he turned again, I was still a fan. But it was hugely exciting to then be able to go back and see all the MX stuff as I got older too. What I love now, looking back, is the amount of Memphis that's part of his act. It's stuff I wouldn't have been able to pick out from his Crockett and Mid-South work before going back further and becoming more familiar with Memphis. There was a Poffo/Bracero vs MX tag where the first five minutes was stalling as they walked around the ring and it was glorious.

Tenta is a similar case for me, in that while I didn't care about the roided guys as a 10 year old, I did care about the fast-moving ones. I was a little kid so I was into smaller guys like the Rockers and Owen Hart/Koko B. Ware, and uh, Shane Douglas. I didn't want to see a slow, plodding wrestler. That only got worse, not better in the late 90s with cruiserweights and the rise of the super indy style. It took a long time before I really started value the meaning behind moves, and Quake is awesome at making everything mean something. Also, while the WCW run is no great shakes, he was a great job match worker, and I love the Shark Attack as a finisher. He was a guy who was legit tough and has matches in Japan where you can see that, but that just makes how effective he was working a safe US style and looking incredibly formidable all the more impressive.

Tenryu has a great match against Mil Mascaras. Good for Tenyru. I really need to get the 80s DVDVR NJPW set.

Judy Martin is great. Great. I watched the Glamour Girls vs Jumping Bomb Angels match a few years ago (the Rumble one) and it wasn't even close. The best wrestler in that match was Martin, by far. Blew me away and I went and watched a bunch of her matches after that and they're all pretty good. She's a great bruiser heel who could really control a match.

I have to see if i can find the Judy Martin vs Desiree Peterson from Boston 7/22/85 match online, because it's a total blast. 

I'm still not high on Harley. While I think the critique of "1980 Kurt Angle" isn't entirely fair, I think he gives far too much of his title matches to his opponent. There's a difference between making your opponent shine and giving so much of the match that there's never really a narrative threat. I understand that there's a level of vulnerability that draws in a heel champ, but that's not what I want out of Race. I am higher on his 80s Japanese Brawls, especially some of the footage we've seen recently, but not vs Brody/Hansen. He's definitely more interesting when up against a heel (the Gino match was fascinating for instance). Some of the others, though. In general, I'm rarely going to be excited about a new Harley match relative to new matches from other wrestlers though.

HUSH YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

I was thinking about this on the way home

I think WCW missed a huge opportunity not using Tenta in a big guy/little guy tag team which one of the whole bunch of guys they had meandering around.

I haven't figured out WHO that person should have been to team with Tenta but I think it would have been awesome.

I think WCW missed a huge opportunity not using Tenta in a big guy/little guy tag team which one of the whole bunch of guys they had meandering around.

I haven't figured out WHO that person should have been to team with Tenta but I think it would have been awesome.

La Parka.

Tell me I'm wrong.

• Like 1

I have always dug Eaton from the moment I saw the Eaton/Lane Midnights, which was my first exposure to him. That still is my favorite tag team ever. 

Quake, I remember not being interested in as a kid until he teamed up with Typhoon. I'd go out on a limb and say that the Disasters were a very good tag team, worth placing in a top-thirty or so of all-time WW(WF/F/E) tag teams. 

La Parka.

Tell me I'm wrong.

La Sharka?

I agree with Tenryu and Tenta so much, until I started reading PWI I always assumed Tenta was a 'Fatty' ala Abdullah (who I'm also wrong on).

Tenryu is a guy who I skipped on tapes to get to Hase, Kobashi and Misawa and that seems like sin because about 5 years ago how awesome Tenryu is and I realised the awesomeness and figured how terrible I am!

I'd like to add Miz, Jesus, if there was ever a dude I hated who I turned on was him. Dude is perfect midcard heel.

Second off, lucha in general, so late on it all. Rush and lucha underground single handed changed my view on that.

Wild Boar, a small Welsh dude who made me realise, despite living Europe, that the wrestling over here is awesome. Also Big Damo, he is like a big Irish Brodie

Taker. Sure, the character was cool and all, but it wasn't until his American Badass period that I started to recognize how well the guy can work.

Not true at all. In 96-98 he was pretty consistently good with a handful of classics.

I don't think his ABA run stacks up well to that three year period or the last several years of his full time career.

I like 90s Taker now, too. If you accept the slower pace as part of the gimmick, you realize how well he's working the crowd, even into the smarmy Attitude era groups who you'd think would shit on it.

EDIT: Brian, you misunderstand. It wasn't until then that I could look back and recognize what he was doing. Dropping the Deadman bit made me realize it was part of the gimmick, and not any lack of ability on his part.

Jim Duggan mainly because I never saw any of his Mid-South stuff until much later. WWF he was as much comic relief as anything and his WCW run is full of huge amounts of nothing combined with him gettin' older.

Seeing Mid-South put his whole career in a totally different light for me. There are actually a few Mid South examples for me but he's definitely the biggest net benefit guy.