DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY (Series 2) - GENICHIRO TENRYU

RIPPA

I was going to pick La Sombra so we could do an education class on the newest NXT signee but that's right - I tried that like a month ago and all you fuckers no-sold it.

We honor Tenryu again because it's Genichiro Motherfucking Tenryu

Originial Tenryu WOTD

WIKI

http://youtu.be/E7BhuQE6Gu0

And because this can never be posted enough times

http://youtu.be/5VDk3CEnzUs

I could run and run and run with this pick. My first thought was to do a different match for every fed he's wrestled in but that would be like five posts long, so I'll just give y'all some tasty morsels.

Ouch. 

Still one of my favorite matches of all time. 

EDIT: Goddammit, Rippa! No fair.

Okay since Rippa stole my Pogo match by a minute I'll give you the insane heatfest from "JPW"

I was just flipping through the part in Jericho's book and he was talking about when he worked for FMW he was instructed to NEVER speak to Onita and how Tenryu when he worked for WAR was such a cool boss that he'd go out drinking with him, sing karaoke on the bus with him.  He also mentions that the rumor he'd heard that Tenryu had pearls surgically implanted in his little Tenryu but he never had the guts to ask him.

Tenryu was a killer tag wrestler in any era, but especially before he was Grumpus Maximus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpj3R5oTZk

And you thought your brittle body was old and decaying -- watch these two middle-aged gents take years off their lives

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19b45n_keiji-muto-vs-genichiro-tenryu-ajpw-6-8-01_sport

I couldn't find the I BReak Your Nose Sequel- Tenryu vs Kojima, but I did find THIS, which I did not know existed. (SPOLIER! This match is motherfucking awesome.)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2aowsp_war-genichiro-tenryu-vs-hayabusa-7-13-00_sport

There are a couple things I got from this. 

1. Tenryu was having a ball. The snap when he chopped Hayabusa after dumping him over the top rope was so great I laughed like a maniac. Then he decided to do the Dusty Bionic Elbow windup before hitting another chop later and I fell out again. 

2. Tenryu is a lefty! Never recognized that. 

3. In the Dailymotion related feed for this match there is a whole lot of Hard Gay... Hard Gay Cupid, Hard Gay Cooking, and Hard Gay Social Improvement (?!). I had to click on one and it is actually subtitled in English. Yes. Someone MUST watch these and report back telling us how insane and ludicrous a faux leather daddy/pro wrestler teaching people life skills on a Japanese television show is.

HG was quite popular there for a bit in pop culture and Tenryu did work Hustle, so it's not as unlikely as it seems they'd be "related".

Hustle Aid 2007
17. Juni 2007 @ Super Arena in Saitama, Saitama (Japan)
HG defeated Gen'ichiro Tenryu [Mask vs. Hard Gay Mask]

They were in 10 matches together, at least. Anytime HG and RG especially were gotten hold of by Tenryu or Kawada, there was much death.

Oh yeah, I remember the HG/RG vs. Tenryu/Kawada (I think?) tag where poor Real Gay got every single blood vessel in his chest demolished. I'm not surprised about the videos being linked but the volume is ridiculous, and the content... well, someone else has to find time for that and let us know.

I'm still amused him and Tanahashi were university wrestlers together(think backyarders, only in a ring, in front of people and watchable). HG isn't gay in case that wasn't well known by now.

If you haven't seen this before you gotta watch it. The match itself is standard high quality AJ tag work but the end is where it's at. Tenryu and Hara go for an enzuigiri/face kick double-team move. Hara hits Hansen in the back with a weak shot but (in contrast to every other time he uses the move) Tenryu pastes him right in the face with his boot and knocks him right the fuck out. Everyone can tell he's limp and Terry saves the match until Hansen wakes up, and proceeds to absolutely run riot all over the place, with Gordy trying to cool him down while he throws tables and chairs and hits Tenryu with a left-hand slap that's as hard as his lariat. After the replay Stan comes over yet again to yell "NOBODY POTATOES ME!" at Baba; he smashes the announcer's head into the table and then gives Baba a weak chop before finally storming off. It's the greatest thing ever. I mean the camera catches Stan running towards the ropes like an angry bull and then he FLIES THROUGH THE ROPES at Tenryu, then does the same thing over the rail. Just insane.

That was actually a total work. It was All Japan doing a snarky riff on what was then a current event with Maeda's infamous face-kicking of Choshu in New Japan.

And WTF, Youtube?! Those matches have been on your site for months if not years; I post 'em here, and two days later they've been cpyright'd? SHENANIGANS, I declare shenanigans!

So that was the reasoning behind it? I had heard it might be a work but watching it again, they all sold it so well I thought it was Hansen realizing what had happened and only running rampage to a certain extent because he knew he might lose his meal ticket if he truly went ultra mega mass homicide on everyone. If it can fool me it can suspend your disbelief so watch it and enjoy.